Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » New victim to the board!

Author Topic: New victim to the board!
mikerancourt
Member # 9890

- posted      Profile for mikerancourt   Email mikerancourt         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there! I'm Mike, I'm 28, I'm way too enthusiastic about life, and I finished my first 50k novel. And what a pile of crap! It's awesome!

I stopped at my second WIP and realized how awful I am at description. And narrative. And plot. And dialogue.

I'm working on a post-apocalyptic adventure with a lemon-fresh twist: Diet pills. Yep. Civilization broke down because diet pills made us crazy.

I sent the outline, character studies, and first two chapters to the circle, so you will be spared the putrid stink of the first draft. Unexpectedly enthusiastic response. I've never seen happier red-pen marks.

I'm not ready for your First 13 critiques yet, and I have been FLOORED with the talent, observation, and corrections this group provides for each other. Floored isn't the word. Insanely jealous. Yeah.

I can't wait to shove my face into the group, let out a big brupski, and offer untrained, unfocused, and tries-way-too-hard-to-be-funny comments!

Posts: 7 | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the treehouse.

No victims, here.

Posts: 3933 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright the first crit is in. You can cut the telling about "enthusiastic" in the first line you do such a great job showing it the rest of the way. See now that wasnt bad at all.

Welcome.

Posts: 1130 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'll do fine here. Welcome.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mayflower988
Member # 9858

- posted      Profile for mayflower988   Email mayflower988         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny. :) You mentioned quite a few things you feel you need to improve on. I've been reading Plot and Structure by James Scott Bell (part of the Write Great Fiction series) and I can testify that it is very helpful. I would recommend it.
Good job on finishing your first novel. I have yet to complete mine.

Posts: 286 | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikerancourt
Member # 9890

- posted      Profile for mikerancourt   Email mikerancourt         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank youmuch mayflower, added to the reading list
Posts: 7 | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, late but be welcomed.

This is a friendly place to learn and to be critiqued or critted as you seem to know already. But not all of us are up on that level you seem to believe the whole group is on. A few are no doubt but some are as new as you and some of us take our time learning.

So if you haven't by now come and join us in critting.

But do be careful as you explore if you see a unicorn remember she can be mean

Posts: 4891 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoldWriter
Member # 9899

- posted      Profile for BoldWriter   Email BoldWriter         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope you write stories as entertainingly as you write posts. If your writing is half as engaging as your introduction, I look forward to seeing more. Don't loose that enthusasiam, it could be your meal ticket.

Cheers!

Posts: 31 | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.