Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Introduction

Author Topic: Introduction
IINCEPTIONII
Member # 10597

- posted      Profile for IINCEPTIONII   Email IINCEPTIONII         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello All,

I'm eager to be a part of this great community! I've been reading posts as a non-member for a while and finally took the plunge. I'm a 2012 graduate of Michigan State University with a B.A. in History, and and additional undergrad major in Russian Language. I enjoy classic rock, motorcycles, and Soviet History. Improving my fiction writing is a primary goal of mine while using this forum. I look forward to getting to know the members here, and hope I can learn from and contribute to the community.

Cheers,

Will

Posts: 5 | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
H Reinhold
Member # 10553

- posted      Profile for H Reinhold   Email H Reinhold         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Will! Welcome to the forum.
Posts: 76 | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, and welcome to Hatrack's river basin that is as like a tree's limbs, trunk, and roots shape for writers, and a sprawled treehouse therein, a writing community.

Is Russian literature part of the study and re-imagination thereof perhaps part of writing goals?

I ask because several Russian standout personas are significant contributors to the overall literature, composition, and publication culture's conversations -- recent as well as past centuries. When I studied foreign languages, coursework required native to a language literature study, at least for appreciation of characteristics unique to a culture and different from a personal native culture.

Posts: 5160 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IINCEPTIONII
Member # 10597

- posted      Profile for IINCEPTIONII   Email IINCEPTIONII         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for your welcome.

Russian literature has been a significant part of my study, and I would certainly like to incorporate some re-imagining of elements I've learned into my own writing, though in a more fantastical setting.

I've studied excerpts of various Russian works in their native language for better understanding, and found it to be incredibly useful in gaining glimpses of life and culture.

A few personal favorites of Russian lit are:
Fathers and Sons - Ivan Turgenev
A Hero of our Time - Mikhail Lermontov
A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich - Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Posts: 5 | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the treehouse.
Posts: 4406 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Disgruntled Peony
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for Disgruntled Peony   Email Disgruntled Peony         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello and welcome. [Smile]
Posts: 742 | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, Will. Jump write in, the water's fine.

Phil.

Posts: 1605 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.