FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » New members post here! (Page 10)

This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  20  21  22   
Author Topic: New members post here!
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
I had to go through it all and keep my weight at 153lbs.

I looked like a crack addict.

To this day, I can't look at a box of All-Bran without a little vomit rising to the back of my throat.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spektyr
Member # 5954

- posted      Profile for Spektyr   Email Spektyr         Edit/Delete Post 
I dropped 9lbs in one day to make weight for a lightweight boat, once.

After that the coach just agreed that my weight was, and should be, 175. Actually several guys had been struggling to make weight, and the team collectively decided we'd rather field a heavyweight boat of healthier oarsmen.

Incidentally we didn't lose a single regatta after that - until the Dad Vails - but then you can't exactly expect to win the national championships. We rowed a reverse german-rigged eight - a wooden boat! It was hard to tell what got more confused looks, the 4 & 5 seats both sporting port oarsmen or the fact that we were lining up in what was usually the only non-carbon fiber shell. (I rowed #4 by the way - I still cringe when I think about how many times I accidentally stabbed poor #5 in the kidneys with the oar handle when we were learning how to deal with that very strange configuration.)

I'll tell you, Shoenbroad knows how to build a boat. We had several much more expensive (and newer) shells that simply were nowhere near as fast. It was a thing of beauty and at race pace that boat lifted so far you could almost mistake it for a hydrofoil.

You take a standard D-bottom carbon fiber boat: you can feel the water flowing past the hull on the backstroke if everyone is setting up the boat properly. This thing... it felt like you were skimming through the air. Absolutely smoooth. Of course that had something to do with us sanding and clearcoating it at least a dozen times with textbook obsessive compulsiveness.

Ahg... such a boat... more than anything I miss that boat (and I say that in the oarsman way - the shell and the other rowers).

There's nothing really that compares with that feeling, is there? When you're under full pressure, pushing the low to mid 40's on your stroke rate and getting an easy length and a half run. The surge of power as eight guys who collectively outweigh the boat by at least 5 times lay everything they've got on the oar handles, followed by that almost zen-like calm of the recovery as the boat literally just glides along with only the faintest noise of running water and the well-lubricated seat runners.

There's only two kinds of oarsmen. Those who love it obsessively and those that quit before they even find out what it's about. I firmly believe that once someone rows in a boat that comes together and doesn't look like a drowning insect flailing about (as we all did at first) - once they feel the flawless coordination, they're hooked.

I rowed with acute tendonitis in my achillies, I rowed with pneumonia, I rowed with dislocated ribs. There wasn't anything that was going to keep me out of that boat.

[ December 10, 2003, 05:40 AM: Message edited by: Spektyr ]

Posts: 55 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Man, if we removed all insulting posts, I'd be knocked back to newbie status in less time than the average lifespan of a bottle of tequila in Ralphie's kitchen.
I find this insulting.

I keep my tequila in a very respectable bar, thank you very much.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

One of my favorite things as a lightweight was the first meal after a weigh-in. My least favorite was being an Italian living in NYC and having to control my pizza consumption.

quote:
but then you can't exactly expect to win the national championships.
Man, you should've seen our boat scowl at the nice lady that handed us our silver medals. [Smile]

We had a pretty standard Vespoli, starboard rigged. The weight of the boat is a much bigger factor in lightweight rowing, so nobody in our league was so unwise as to use a wooden boat. Also, every crew in our league was overflowing with money. When I went back to visit the boathouse at homecoming two years ago, I saw that even the novices were rowing Resoluts!

I sat 5-seat, and I think my kidneys still hurt from being stabbed by our spasmatic 4-seat. Sense of trust is a fragile, fragile thing.

Aside from that, the only abnormal pains I had to row with were a pulled lat and strep throat.

But the pain was more than outweighed by the sight of the sunrise over the trees on the Hudson River. That, and the feel of perfect rhythm--to settle after a start at a 34, yet still walk through every crew on the course like they were paddling.

*shiver*

Man, I need to get back into a boat.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

Oh, Ralphie. Don't be modest. A bar...come on, show Hatrack the picture of your stupendous rack. I bet they won't even believe how little it cost!
callmecordelia
Member # 6021

- posted      Profile for callmecordelia   Email callmecordelia         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all. Well, I certainly don't have anything to add concerning lightweights, however, I thought I should introduce myself somewhere. I'm a huge OSC fan, although only somewhat recently, as I'm only almost finished with the Ender series. But I tend to be a fanatic when it comes to absolutely great stuff, so hey. It helps to have people to obsess with, right? Right. So anyway, anyone feel free to drop me a line; I'm usually a pretty bearable person.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Hatrack, cordelia!

You are seeing an example of a thread derailment. It's something of an art 'round these parts. [Big Grin]

See ya 'round the 'Rack!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
callmecordelia
Member # 6021

- posted      Profile for callmecordelia   Email callmecordelia         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks rivka!! [Big Grin]
Posts: 6 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spektyr
Member # 5954

- posted      Profile for Spektyr   Email Spektyr         Edit/Delete Post 
Thirty-four? Was that warm-ups?

For the spring 2000's we were pushing 46 strokes per minute with good run.

As far as unusual pains while rowing... let's see. I was in a car accident my freshman year that spun my car so fast one of the rear wheels was sheared off. Considerable back problems for the rest of the year. I've rowed with dislocated ribs that pulled loose and snapped back on every stroke, a dislocated shoulder, tendonitis in my Achilles... they simply couldn't keep me out of the boat.

Me and the 5 seat had a few tense situations with the kidney jabs, but we found the rhythm that worked pretty quickly.

Speaking of kidney jabs - we had some cocky oarsman from a different school transfer to our school in my sophomore year. He got so mouthy that we suddenly found ourselves unable to row properly and a surprising number of our oarsmen seemed to have trouble clearing their handles before he started back on the slide... lol.

He didn't last long.

We had some fun mind-games to play with other crews, particularly in the long races with staggered starts. Instead of those grueling battles when one boat catches another, where each tries to get ahead and both crews end up more tired than they would have been otherwise, we'd just psyche them out.

About the same time as we'd start to pull alongside the coxswain would crank up the box to max and start screaming at us like you wouldn't believe. "I haven't seen rowing this bad in my entire life! Get it together you pansies! Take it down two in two!" However, we took it UP two strokes and did a power 20. Of course the other crew can't watch us closely and their cox isn't likely to be timing our strokes, so they think we dropped below race pace to regain rhythm and are suddenly walking on them.

Once they believe you're faster, they go slower to make it true.

We had other fun things we did, too. We perfected a three-stroke start, getting to speed one to two strokes faster than most of the other boats. At nationals all of our power 20's became power 30's though the cox still called it by the former name. And we had a Swedish exchange student that was built like a norse god who would stalk around the boats glaring at everyone else and growling fiercely in Swedish. Then we'd make a big show of trying to placate him so that he wouldn't hurt anyone. We considered chaining him to a tree and feeding him raw meat, but we thought that would be a bit much. (He was actually a pretty decent guy, if a bit rough around the edges.)

As far as wooden boats go, ours really wasn't much heavier than a glass boat, and it was yet another form of psychological warfare. Add in the strange rig we had, the three-stroke start and a wood boat. When we were lining up at the start most crews were sneering at our shell. But when we leapt ahead by two seats in the first ten strokes most crews believed we were unbeatable.

If we were that fast in a wooden boat, we must have been better oarsmen, right?

It doesn't have to be true. The opponent just has to believe it. As soon as you believe you're beaten, you are.

Posts: 55 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
efrum
Member # 6030

- posted      Profile for efrum   Email efrum         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I see that this is, well, supposed to be the place to introduce yourself.

Being new to this particular forum, and having not properly done so, I had better get to it.

My name is gary. I live sort of in Minnesota, and sort of in Montana (Long story, and not too terribly exciting...). I have a beautiful wife, and four beautiful daughters (2 to 9).

I'm an artist by trade and by habit, dabbling in pretty much every medium possible.

I'm a neo-cubist. No, not the artist kind, I just really like Neo, and I dwell in a cube...

And did I mention that I'm a big OSC fan? Well, that kind of explains my appearance here, now, doesn't it? I've read nearly all of his books, and all of his short stories that I've been able to get my hands on. And I frequent hatrack. Not sure why I hadn't wandered in here before now.

I'm currently reading The Crystal City. It's great so far, but then I expected no less.

Well, that's about it. If you have any questions, ask. And if I get around to it, I may actually answer back [Razz]

efrum

Posts: 43 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome efrum! (interesting screen name)

I see you have already posted quite a bit. Glad to see you dive in and take part. (good web page, too, by the way)...

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
efrum
Member # 6030

- posted      Profile for efrum   Email efrum         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Farmgirl. Well, I've been trying to qualify as a "posting whore", whatever the advantage of that is [Razz]

efrum

[ December 18, 2003, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: efrum ]

Posts: 43 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
My name is Derrell and I live in Tempe, Arizona. I'm 37 and an avid SF and fantasy fan.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Welcome to Hatrack, Derrell! [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

Thanks. [Smile]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diko
Member # 6060

- posted      Profile for Diko           Edit/Delete Post 
Is this still an intro thread? [Big Grin]

This is actually my second post on the Hatrack River Forums (first being: Advent Rising?).

My name is Rose, and I've been a fan of OSC for going on 12 years now. My favorite book of his (and of any author, for that matter) is Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus. It is my favorite not so much for the sci-fi aspect (I'm not a big fan of sci-fi!) but more for the history aspect. I chose the username Diko from that book, she was one of the pivitol (sp?) characters, and the one I understood the most.

I'm a history w/secondary education major, and I write in my spare time. I have yet to decide whether I'd rather write or teach, so I figure I"ll do both until I my mind makes itself up. [Big Grin]

So, enough with the boring details that all of you will forget as soon as you're done reading. [Big Grin]

Hi! [Wave]

Posts: 24 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

All together, now: Hi, Rose! [Wave]

Choosing between teaching and writing, hmm? So either way, you'll need an incredible amount of time and energy, and likely not make enough to live on? [Big Grin]

Good luck! [Smile]

Derrell
Member # 6062

Hi Rose. [Wave] Welcome to Hatrack.
Tonatiuh
Member # 6052

- posted      Profile for Tonatiuh   Email Tonatiuh         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello im a new member and orson scott card is one of my favorite authors i was browsing this site and it seemed like a great place so i singed up and here I am. My name is Sam I live in Montana (USA)im in high school and need some intellegent conversation because most people my age aren't the best people to talk to if you want intellegent conversation
[Party] and these are cool [Wink]

Posts: 18 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

Welcome, Tonatiuh. Glad to have you here. [Smile]
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Welcome to Derrell, Rose and Tonatiuh(Sam)!

[Wave] [Wave] [Wave]

Hope you enjoy your time here talking on Hatrack! We do most of our "intelligent" [Wink] discussions on the other side -- Books, Films, etc... but I see most of you have already found that!

Derrell -- cheer for my Kansas State Wildcats tomorrow as they play in your city for the bowl game!

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi newbs!

(This thread needs to be bumped so bad...)

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Hatrack Elaine! I'm sure you'll fit right in. If you're a SF fan, you may be interested in taking a look at the SF Author Showdown threads over in the sakeriver.com forums.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

:slitted eye emoticon:
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fooglmog
Member # 6088

- posted      Profile for Fooglmog   Email Fooglmog         Edit/Delete Post 
*Shows up*

I guess I'm a newb again... I had an account on these forums long long ago, but it's been deleted. I only posted a few times so I doubt anyone recognizes me anyway.

I guess a little about me might be in order. My name is Jonathan Cassels, I live in Kitchener Ontario Canada, and I'm fairly Liberal in my opinions on... everything.

I'm always looking for some good discussion with right wing thinkers (emphasis on thinkers) so if you ever feel like having a discussion with a left wing canuck, give me a hollar; cassels_jon@hotmail.com (for e-mail or msn) or 41753115 (for those who prefer ICQ)

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

Posts: 37 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
You're referring to synaptic connections actually, well, . . . . connecting?
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

But synapses aren't actually connections, they're spaces. [Smile] Neurotransmitters have to jump the gap. Jump, little neurotransmitters, jump! [Big Grin]
Luis A.
Member # 6085

- posted      Profile for Luis A.   Email Luis A.         Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, I must apologise for my poor English, but I hope to find a good amount of good will 'round here.

I'm 38, from Spain, and a fan of OSC since I read Ender's Game years ago (though I sometimes 'cheat' him with Frank Herbert [Wink] )

I'm afraid I won't participate a lot in the forum (you know, work and all of that), but I wanted to say hello to all of you, readers of the world.

See you soon.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Luis! Hope you have time to post more than you think you will!

Fooglmog, what was your original username? You never know who might remember you. In any case, welcome back!

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fooglmog
Member # 6088

- posted      Profile for Fooglmog   Email Fooglmog         Edit/Delete Post 
I probably used the name Fooglmog, Noemon (though I'm not certain) it's also possible I used the name Startwin, Gomlgoof or Cassels. I can't in all honestly remember.

[ January 09, 2004, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: Fooglmog ]

Posts: 37 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

Welcome all. [Wave] [Hat] [Wave]
eslaine
Member # 5433

quote:
I probably used the name Fooglmog, Noemon (though I'm not certain) it's also possible I used the name Startwin, Gomlgoof or Cassels. I can't in all honestly remember.

You're sure it wasn't Dawlwoom? How about Boofmar?

Well welcome whoever you are!

SouljaKlipp
Member # 6092

- posted      Profile for SouljaKlipp   Email SouljaKlipp         Edit/Delete Post 
o my god... ive been reading ender over and over for the past 9 years and i never visited hatrack. i think ill be spending a lot of spare time here! i am a senior in secondary education in the field of english at the university of wisconsin - milwaukee. im a bouncer at a bar out here and i work at a daycare with 2 and 3 year olds. reading writing and wrestling are my hobbies, i hope to coach while i teach. looking forward to good conversation
klipp

Posts: 12 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magius
Member # 6091

- posted      Profile for Magius   Email Magius         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello [Wave] ,
my name is Mike and I am a newbie here. I came across the site by looking up 'Orson Scott Card' in google. My reason for looking it up is that I have become fascinated with the Ender series. I have read Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow, Shadow of the Hegemon, and I am finishing up Shadow Puppets presently. I found some of the issues within the books to be of extraordinary importance to the human cause and so I became curious about what people were saying and doing with the information (ideas) contained within the books.

I also wanted to email Orson Scott Card and ask him whether or not there is going to be a sequel to Shadow Puppets.

Lastly, I wanted to find a place where I could engage in philosophical discussion regarding the myriad themes within the Ender's Series. I am also a part of another message board, for those who are interested, which deals with many very interesting topics ranging from everyday talk, to quantum physics, business, economics, politics, astronomy, philosophy, religion, and much more. I Love Philosophy Website

I am a university student majoring in Philosophy. I am presently finishing off my second semester of the third year.

Other than that, I think I am your average Joe.

What's your take?

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
It's funny, it seems a lot of newbies post first here before posting on the other side... Well, as I did three years ago ! So, a warm welcome to all the people who posted here and all the ones who will, and I'm impatient to see you here Books, films, food and American culture
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarecrow
Member # 6109

- posted      Profile for Scarecrow   Email Scarecrow         Edit/Delete Post 
i live outside Melbourne in australia.its cliche but my copies of EG,ES & SotH are dog-eared, in a way they are my "security books" i love reading them, they are timeless.im 19 going on 20 and am in my second year of Uni doing a computer degree (Bachelor of information Systems) not much else abt me, i hold down a couple of jobs to pay thru uni, i like running, bike riding and watching movies. pretty stock standard, i think.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Welcome to Mike and Scarecrow

Hopefully, Magius, you read enough posts on this side that you found the answer to your question about the Shadow Puppets sequel, since it has already been discussed a lot.

I also hope the site makes you realize there are a LOT more OSC works that just his Ender and Shadow series. Try some of his other books!

Farmgirl

marzipan
Member # 6096

- posted      Profile for marzipan   Email marzipan         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone [Wave]

OSC is my hero and I lurk here from time to time. I have a little more free time now so I thought I'd try to participate. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magius
Member # 6091

- posted      Profile for Magius   Email Magius         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Farmgirl, I found my answer. Thank you. Furthermore, I am aware of the majority of books OSC has written, I just don't have the time to devote to reading all his books. The reason I even tried Ender's Game is for the reason that numerous people had told me much about it, and a friend lent me her book - which I couldn't just leave lying around so I gave it a shot and loved it.

What's your take?

Sachiko
Member # 6139

- posted      Profile for Sachiko   Email Sachiko         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everybody, how d'ye do. I'm 23, I have three kids, and my husband is a programmer in the Air Force. That's computer, not mind.

I've been reading OSC almost as long as I've been reading the Chronicles of Narnia and Dune, that is, since I was 8 or so. My dad raised his kids right, on a proper diet of sci-fi.

Sachiko is my RL middle name, as I'm Nisei, though I'm the whitest Nisei you'll ever see. (That's what happens when Japan and Sweden collide. Produces a broad-shouldered Mexican.)
(Not that I look Mexican, I'm 3/4 honky and 1/4 Japanese.) (Can I say "honky"?)(Sorry, "Utah-American".)

Hatrack looks like fun, though, frankly, with three kids in diapers, I'm not too picky. (I'm so desperate for adult conversation I talk to myself.) But you guys look like a pretty classy bunch, so, can't wait to get to know y'all. [Smile]
[Wave]

Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kauai1983
Member # 6143

- posted      Profile for Kauai1983   Email Kauai1983         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone [Smile] I've just got a hold of OSC series of Ender's Game( from Ender's Game to Children of the mind ) and all I want to say is I WANT MORE!!! [Cry] I'm a 20 year old who's always loved sci-fi [Big Grin] In everything I do, from being a lube techy, computer geek, foothball jock, and being with my friends [Sleep] I've hardly had anytime for my first love, reading [Cry] But since I've read the OSC books I can't stop myself from wanting more:wallbash: I haven't really felt like this since I read the end of Chapterhouse: Dune [Cry] Well anyways I LOVE THE ENDER'S SERIES!!! [Big Grin] And that's end my saying Hello:) haha.

[ January 25, 2004, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: Kauai1983 ]

TheClone
Member # 6141

- posted      Profile for TheClone   Email TheClone         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, I guess I'm new here. Read here before but started back up now that I just reread or am rereading my entire OSC collection. I'm Andrew from Virginia. Read a lot, that's about it for me!
Posts: 87 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alath
Member # 6150

- posted      Profile for alath   Email alath         Edit/Delete Post 
hi I'm new! [Wave] i've lurked here for a while but this is my first post.

I'm 15 years old from northern virginia and I've been a fan of OSC since I read EG four years ago. Since then I've read most of his other books.

Hope to get to know you all better! [Smile]

[ June 29, 2004, 02:10 AM: Message edited by: alath ]

Posts: 145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Camber
Member # 6154

- posted      Profile for Camber   Email Camber         Edit/Delete Post 
Another new member here. My user name is Camber. A roommate at the Y recommended Ender's Game to me back in 1995, and it began a pattern that has always been recreated with each OSC book I read. They make me cry, always at some point. Usually from joy, and I love that about his writing.

I'm currently working on a Ph.D. in marriage and family therapy at Iowa State University. I just have my dissertation and internship left to do. My wife also reads OSC, currently she's enjoying Alvin Journeyman, and tonight I just finished Saints. It has sparked many interesting conversations between us (especially since it was the first Card novel that my wife read before me). We have two children, and our third comes in May.

I just want to thank the company (Fresco Pictures) that is working on the Ender's Game movie for putting out a new press release on their progress. I read it last night, but it was dated February 6th (!). I rushed to the Hollywood Stock Exchange to look at the effect, and my 50,000 shares of Ender's Game had jumped about 60% to over $3 per share. That seems to happen every time anything about the film reaches the press. Woot! I'm going to be a bizillionaire when the movie is finally released.

Posts: 22 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
I may not technically be a new member anymore, as I've been posting for about a month now. But I guess I'll post here anyway and just face down whatever resistance there may be. Hah!

I'm a junior in high school. I live in Seattle. Obviously, I really love OSC's work, or definately wouldn't be here because I tend to avoid computers, and, actually now that I think about it technology in general. Speaker for the Dead is probably my favorite by OSC.

I am also a total LotR freak. prefer the books. I generally prefer books; see the technology comment above.

Interests...music, art, drama (especially improv), and running and biking. Star Wars. Johnny Depp. Mick Jagger.

And to end this little introductory post, I'd just like to say that me surrenderring my computer-hating soul to this forum just kinda shows how cool all you hatrack folks are. Woohoo!

Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
howdy hey,

formerly "flish" here under new label (with bleach alternative).

checking in to see what's goin' down on hatrack.

fellah fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Welcome back, flish/fallow. [Smile]
gwan
Member # 6194

- posted      Profile for gwan   Email gwan         Edit/Delete Post 
hey,
this thread is such a good idea. I've been here little while,(though my friends make fun of me.) I LOVE OSC! He is my hero. Actually he is the reason that I ever started to read at all. You see I've written short stories for as long I can remember, but I hated to read (A.D.D child) . I never found anything that sustained my interest until ender's game. [The Wave] so yes that is why I spend much time here. [Big Grin]

Posts: 197 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Rivka. [Smile]

Nice to see a few familiar names still stirring it up.

fallow... er flish... er flallow?

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kai_Hawatari
Member # 6271

- posted      Profile for Kai_Hawatari   Email Kai_Hawatari         Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings all. I've just joined here as well. I've been looking for intelligent discussion on the net (political and otherwise) and after reading most of OSC's books, I decided this is probably the place to come.
Posts: 8 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  20  21  22   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.