FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » New members post here! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  20  21  22   
Author Topic: New members post here!
blattos
Member # 3589

- posted      Profile for blattos           Edit/Delete Post 
lol Kate Emily
I'm glad to feel your support on my fight: "speaking english!" ( euh rather writing, fortunately, you haven't the sound! )
BootNinja, don't worry... don't take so many precautions to sais that Imade a huge mistake!!! I'm happy taht you correct me (happy? the word is a little too strong...)
So please correct me eachtime you thinks it's necessary.
TomRobinson, I'll try the other forum but it's harder to understand...

someone could tell me what means " lurking for" and what is a "locke"?

have a nice day

Posts: 13 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
youpi51
Member # 3234

- posted      Profile for youpi51           Edit/Delete Post 
Good evening !

My name is Garance. I am fourteen years old and I live in France.
I am found of philosophy and policy.

I discovered Orson Scoot Card's books four years ago... and since, I always take pleasure to read again them !!! ^^
I was fascinated by "Ender's game". But since, I prefer rather "The children of the spirit".

I would be delighted to correspond with readers of Orson Scott Card.

If you want, you can contact me at this address:
Youpi51@ifrance.com
before 2002, June 8th

Good bye !!!

Posts: 46 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DragonArin14
Member # 3116

- posted      Profile for DragonArin14           Edit/Delete Post 
I've always wanted to go to France, youpi51! I like philosophy too! Oh, and what do you mean by "policy?"

Welcome to Hatrack

Posts: 463 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bystander
Member # 3607

- posted      Profile for Bystander           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. I've just finished "Shadow of the Hegemon". At the age of 26, I'm here because I'm guessing that I would not be alone in my sense of awe at OSC's psychological writing style and depiction of intelligence as one of the guiding forces in my own development as a human being. His books do more than just entertain, they have enlightened me and augmented my abilities to deal with the world around me.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
blattos -

Lurking is when you read the posts on the forums, but you write nothing yourself.

Locke is the name Peter adapted in "Ender's Game" for his Internet character. Locke was actually a 17th century English philosopher, a founder of empiricism.

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CWoj
Member # 3611

- posted      Profile for CWoj   Email CWoj         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello. I'm new sort of. I've been watching in the shadows for some time. Big OSC fan (who isn't?) I look forward to many ideas being thrown around.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DragonArin14
Member # 3116

Hello, Chuck I believe I've greeted you in another thread...
Posts: 463 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blattos
Member # 3589

- posted      Profile for blattos           Edit/Delete Post 
thank you Kama
shame on me: Locke, it was so obvious!!!

Posts: 13 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all, I'm a huge lurking fan of this site. I first signed on about 2 1/2 years ago and I'm just getting back after a mission to Brazil, so you'll have to be patient with my lack of knowledge. I love OSC, have read the ender's series, the maker series, am loving the genesis series and a few other odds and ends that he's written. I'm a 23 year old student of music and education. It's good to know you!
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DragonArin14
Member # 3116

And it's good to know you now, too
jeff_k
Member # 3536

- posted      Profile for jeff_k   Email jeff_k         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey. I've posted on the other board some but never really made a formal introduction. My name's Jeff and I'm 14. I love basketball above all else, and although I'm not THAT great, I like to say that I'm always improving! I live in Florida, BTW.

My other passions besides basketball is writing. I've always loved creating stories in my mind and ever since I got a computer I've been churning out stories. I'm going to be startting higgh school next year and I'm in an advance curriculum called IB and I hope to someday become a writer (of what, I don't know!).

I first read Ender's Game when I was 12 and I was hooked. I've read all of the books except SOTH which I'm about a quarter of the way through now.

That's it for my formal intro. What do you think? I'm waiting nervously for your approval here so please say something nice.

Posts: 11 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roxy
Member # 3416

- posted      Profile for roxy   Email roxy         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff, it sound as if we have a lot in common . . . basketball and writing, who'd of guessed?
Posts: 358 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DragonArin14
Member # 3116

Hey Jeff! So far, you have my approval
phoenix646
Member # 1996

- posted      Profile for phoenix646   Email phoenix646         Edit/Delete Post 
well, I've been here for a while, but I've been more like a recurring gas bubble than anything, so I guess I'm still pretty new.

I'm from southwest Virginia and I'm something of a hillbilly, (in case any of you thought those didn't exist anymore, we are a thriving community of hillbillies
I'm going to be a senior in high school next year, and plan on going to a liberal arts college afterwards. I want to be a writer, but who knows?

I have two brothers (both older) and two sisters, and I live with my mom and dad. One of my brothers died last August in a car accident, so I'm even more screwed up now than I was before, but I'm ok.

I really want to start posting more, but we don't get the internet, so its kinda difficult.

I'm going to the beach twice, then to Europe for 16 days, so see y'all soon!

ps -nice to meet you other "new" members!

Posts: 66 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
phoenix646
Member # 1996

- posted      Profile for phoenix646   Email phoenix646         Edit/Delete Post 
well, I've been here for a while, but I've been more like a recurring gas bubble than anything, so I guess I'm still pretty new.

I'm from southwest Virginia and I'm something of a hillbilly, (in case any of you thought those didn't exist anymore, we are a thriving community of hillbillies
I'm going to be a senior in high school next year, and plan on going to a liberal arts college afterwards. I want to be a writer, but who knows?

I have two brothers (both older) and two sisters, and I live with my mom and dad. One of my brothers died last August in a car accident, so I'm even more screwed up now than I was before, but I'm ok.

I really want to start posting more, but we don't get the internet, so its kinda difficult.

I'm going to the beach twice, then to Europe for 16 days, so see y'all soon!

ps -nice to meet you other "new" members!

Posts: 66 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
phoenix646
Member # 1996

Whoops put it on twice
uhhhhhhh......take one off if you know how, please, 'cause I don't

uh, bye again

phoenix646
Member # 1996

dang it- I just had to say something else...

I LOVE ENDER'S GAME, Etc,etc, and I am currently reading The Wheel of Time series; its great.

jeff, you have my full acceptance and approval
and all you other people, for what its worth...

BootNinja
Member # 2296

- posted      Profile for BootNinja   Email BootNinja         Edit/Delete Post 
problem solved. take that money you were going to use to go to europe, and get internet instead. then you can post every day, like me. On second thought, it sounds like you actually have a life. stay as far away from the internet as possible, my friend, it will kill any kind of life you may have, and you will sit at home at your computer typing insignificant messages into a little white text box all day every day, until finally, you will realize, hey, what happened to me? I've turned into an internet junkie, and will proceed to find an online support group which, instead of helping you, will actually increase the problem, until one day, when you are 76 years old, you will have a heart attack while surfing the internet, and nobody will notice, because you never came out of your house anyway, and you will sit in your house and rot for weeks and weeks, until the smell drives the neighbors to call the cops, and get them to remove your body.

gee, that last part got pretty morbid, should I edit it out? ...
no, I don't think so...

[This message has been edited by BootNinja (edited June 07, 2002).]

Posts: 557 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lakhim
Member # 3622

- posted      Profile for Lakhim   Email Lakhim         Edit/Delete Post 
My name is Lakhim, im highly opinionated, love to read all fiction minus fantasy, and all non fiction works of history. It really isnt importent to know how old i am. I like all of Card's books, though i am a fan of the older books, not Shadow of the Hegemon, IMHO, i like the Speaker for the Dead seires better then the newer books (minus Ender's Shadow)
I also cant spell. Not very well at all. I wish that everything would be spelled phoniclly(yes, msp)make life a ton easyer. I am a writer of sorts, trying to clear though the mush in my head to finish outlining my ol' dusty Historical Fiction novel. Oh yes, and all my ideas are stolen off of everyone else, all my writings, stories, and most other things are a composite of everone that ive read. But i change them so they become my own in my own specle way.
Oh yes, and I do agree with Card's article two simple proposals. Slavery reparations are a little bit out of hand, you dont sue a company for something that happened +-200 years ago, its like charging hitlers photograph with genocide. And the Iseal/Arab world conflict is a tid bit off the wall, the religons are very much the same. Jewdism (sry) is the root, Christianity is a continuation beleaving that Christ is the Savor(srry) of the world, with the old testimint comprising the Jewish beleaves, (or rather, the first 5 books as writen my Moses) and Islam beleaves that Jesus is just a profit( srry)
Im rambling. I have a habit of doing that too.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeff_k
Member # 3536

- posted      Profile for jeff_k   Email jeff_k         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's nice to know I have some approval from some people here. I've been a reg at message board in the past that acted kind of like a cult, not letting anyone new in. It was kind weird , actually. The really sad part is I was in on the whole "No newbies" thing. ANyways, I got out of that long ago so don't worry, I'm not going to contaminate this board with impoliteness!

Also, welcome, Lakhim. I totally agree with your ramblings (don't know what else to call them) about the Middle East. But, people have hated each other for reasons a lot more minute than that in the past, so it's not surprising that this goes on today. I also agree with you on your stance against reparations.

Keep rambling, my friend. You do a fine job at it.

[This message has been edited by jeff_k (edited June 11, 2002).]

Posts: 11 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MoonRabbit
Member # 3652

- posted      Profile for MoonRabbit   Email MoonRabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm from Portland, Oregon and have been into speculative fiction ever since I can remember (I went to a Star Trek convention in 1977 where there were rumors of a Star Trek movie!). I found Ender's Game by looking at the walls of my local bookstore (Powells Books - has to be one of the best bookstores in the world) - Science Fiction writers would write their favorite books on the walls when they were there for book signings, and I would buy whatever they recommended. Since then, I've tried to read everything by OSC, but I've had trouble finding the second book in the Mayflower series (hint, hint).

What I really love about OSC is that just the introductions and epilogues of his books are more interesting than many other books. For those of us who aspire to be writers, it is really nice to be able to get an insight on the creative process from someone who has actually sold some books.

What I really hate about OSC is that while I'm trying to read one of his books with a critical eye and figure out how he managed to construct a particularly good passage, I get sucked in by the story and find myself a hundred pages from where I started. This happens again and again, and it's starting to tick me off.

Posts: 173 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shedemei
Member # 3860

- posted      Profile for Shedemei   Email Shedemei         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone, I'm new here and would like to introduce myself.
I'm from Finland, started reading OSC when first of the Alvin books was published in Finnish, that was 1997. But not until last winter after I read Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead I became a fan. After that I've searched and read all the books of OSC there are in Finnish libraries, unfortunately they don't have all of them! Guess I should ask for a raise to be able to buy the rest.
They have all been so good I can't name any favourites. I like them all.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
See? Even the Finnish guy can write with decent English grammar.

Welcome, Shedemei.

And, I'm trying to figure out how the heck I missed MoonRabbit's intro. MoonRabbit - If you haven't abandoned Hatrack completely after your meager two posts, your fellow PDX 'rackers would like you to know that the more Portlanders we get in here the quicker we can implement our plan to take over and rule Hatrack, thence moving on to our subsequent plan of taking over the world.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BootNinja
Member # 2296

I thought we had already put this argument to bed. Of course a finnish guy is going to speak "proper english" when he speaks english, because by and large, they don't teach you slang or internet slang in a foreign language class.
Posts: 557 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
It's true, Ninja. I only use the " " smilie when I mean serious business.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone. I'm another new one. I'm 35 and a dirt engineer in Orlando, the land of the rat. The first OSC I read was Ender's Game and I've read just about everything else he's written since then.

As far as "proper English" goes, I work with a few Brits that constantly let us know that we Americans don't speak "proper English" (ie the Queen's English). It is my humble opinion that as the only superpower left in the world, it is our right - no, our obligation - to determine what is or isn't proper English. I'm still trying to convince them that aluminum is pronounced with 4 syllables, not 5.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BootNinja
Member # 2296

my appologies, ralphie, I didn't notice the smilie. and as far as the queen's english goes, the queen can kiss my butt.

how on earth could they possibly pronounce aluminum as five syllables?
in other news, we seem to have revived the thread.

[This message has been edited by BootNinja (edited July 23, 2002).]

tarigwaemir
Member # 3870

- posted      Profile for tarigwaemir   Email tarigwaemir         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, my name is NOT really Tari. That's a name I came up with in fifth grade when I had just finished The Silmarillion and looked up random words in the appendix. Thus you have Tari Gwaemir or "Queen Windjewel." <winces> Okay, so I was a bit tasteless then, but the name is useful.

I'm a Korean-American high school senior in New York. I attend a selective "lab" school, and I've been in G&T programs all my life. This is important because the way I got introduced to Ender's Game, and sequels, was through the SET mailing list, which consists of smart kids, most of whom are much more brilliant than I am. *They* raved about the book; I read it and raved too. Since then, I've read all the Ender and Ender-related books, the Homecoming series, the Women of Genesis books, Songmaster, Treasure Box, Enchantment, and a couple of others. Sorry, Alvin Maker fans, I'm not touching those, even though I like fantasy. I don't enjoy alternative history-type stories.

My friends and I are in the process of creating a colossal Ender's Game fan site, which will probably never be finished. But the good part is that I've reread the Ender books at least six or seven times in the process. Now I know all sorts of picky things like the fact that Peter has dark hair and that the nurse who helps take out Ender's monitor is named DeeDee.

I wanted to go to Endercon, but it was in Utah. Why are all the conventions in obscure little towns in the Midwest? I mean, there *is* a big city right here on the East coast with plenty of people who have way too much free time on their hands. Oh yeah, and why isn't OSC coming to New York for SP signings? <mourns> I envy California, North Carolina and Utah...

Posts: 30 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Boot -- I have heard people pronounce it "Aa - Lu - Min - Ee - Um." These people usually say "Nook - You - Ler," too.

Tari, welcome to Hatrack! Be careful about telling your Ender Saga knowledge... someone may try to rope you into a trivia match.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
yes, Moose, we know, we know

welcome, Tari If you want to annoy Papa, just use looooots of smilies. See?

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
What? What'd I say? <Innocent face wearing halo.>
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tarigwaemir
Member # 3870

- posted      Profile for tarigwaemir   Email tarigwaemir         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I wouldn't dare claim to challenge the Ender trivia master.

I do have Ender's Game on the brain though. I dream about the battle room at night.

Posts: 30 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Humani
Member # 3892

- posted      Profile for Humani           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I just found this page today. I finished reading Hegemon's Shadow yesterday. Before that I read the 4 books in the Enders series, and Ender's Shadow. I read the first few books, from, I think it was Homecoming Series, but they weren't as good. And also People of the Fringe. The Ender and Bean books are the best books I ever read. Especially the last one Hedgemon's Shadow, probably becasue I'm interested in Politics. So now I'm waiting for the Shadow Puppets, which I've just read is going to come out on this site.
I'm from England, and I'm now living in Holland on work experience. I'm 21 years old, and a student in York. I'm married already and my husband is from China.

[This message has been edited by Humani (edited July 29, 2002).]

Posts: 64 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vampyr18
Member # 3694

- posted      Profile for Vampyr18   Email Vampyr18         Edit/Delete Post 
hey, i've read EG, SftD, Xen, CotM, ES, SotH, Lost Boys, First Meetings, the Worthing Saga, Seventh SOn, Red Prophet and i'm in the middle of Prentice Alvin.
Posts: 279 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flyby
Member # 3630

- posted      Profile for flyby   Email flyby         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny that vampyr chooses now to introduce himself to the site. I feel like we already know you already, you've posted so much.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fishtail
Member # 3900

- posted      Profile for Fishtail   Email Fishtail         Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings, all.

I'm done lurking, and decided to get myself a name and a password, and here I am.

I learned about OSC when my best friend lent me his copy of _Ender's Game_ because he was convinced I would love it. I did, and then returned the favor when the Alvin Maker series came out.

I live in northern Virginia right now, but move around a lot due to my job.

Glad to meet you all.

Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Airguitarist
Member # 2647

- posted      Profile for Airguitarist           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been browsing around here at hatrack for a while now, but I rarely get around to posting between sports and school. I'm a highschooler living in the San francisco bay area. I discovered OSC in the sixth grade when a friend lent me his copy of Enders game, and I've been hooked since.
Posts: 43 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
En Vista
Member # 3848

- posted      Profile for En Vista   Email En Vista         Edit/Delete Post 
Hiya, I'm a 20-yr-old waitress/photojournalist/novelist. Been a Card fan since high school, but just recently found a new appreciation. I've been out of full time work since last October, so if anyone needs a wedding video done....
Posts: 53 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flyby
Member # 3630

fishtail, you going to the signing in bailey's crossroads?
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fishtail
Member # 3900

I will definitely go if I'm in town. When is it?
Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
<looks around suspiciously then leaves>
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flyby
Member # 3630

september 19 at 7pm
Fishtail
Member # 3900

Yep, I'll be there.
flyby
Member # 3630

I'm hoping I can go because it is on a Thursday and so if I have alot of homework I won't be able to go, but everyone cross their fingers for me, ok?

Oh yeah, and today I got my copy of First Meetings! It got here alot faster than I thought it would. I can't wait to read it. I have to finish the Worthing Saga short stories first though.

stacey
Member # 3661

- posted      Profile for stacey           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey!

Im Stacey, havn't been here that long.
Im 15, from New Zealand.
umm, i like horse riding, reading(of course), feild hockey. As you can see from some of my posts, i am prone to getting into or starting arguments, sometimes i can be quite arrogant

Enders game is my fav book of all time! I am appaled at my parents, because theyve had it on the bookcase for years and didnt tell me about it! I only just discovered it this year!Ive read it eight times and counting, sometimes i read it 2 or 3 times in a row because when ive just finished it i want to read it all over again!I love it!

Posts: 315 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stacey
Member # 3661

- posted      Profile for stacey           Edit/Delete Post 
"The fact that our schools both wanted to move us up and we wouldn't let them."

You guys made the right choice, roxy and Dragon. I didn't really have a choice whether i was put up a year or not, the teachers decided it was right for me. I wish I hadn't been put up. I am the youngest in my form, most are turning 17 at the start of the year and i turn 16 in september, so i had trouble when everyone started getting their licences and boyfriends and stuff when i was still too young, really confusing. I really hated school and used to pretend that i was sick so i didnt have to go! But its better now, but im not as far ahead now because ive had so many days off.

Why did you guys decide not to get put up?

I was pretty young when i was put up, younger than ten, how old were you guys?

Posts: 315 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BootNinja
Member # 2296

hey fly, just take your homework with you and do it while standing in line

flyby
Member # 3630

good idea...thanks boot
Fishtail
Member # 3900

Yeah, that's the ticket. Especially since the last time I saw him at that venue (I think it was in '99) I was on the back of the line, and didn't get out of there until near midnight! What a great time, though...OSC is one of the best authors I've ever met in person. Much less cranky than Harlan Ellison!
roxy
Member # 3416

- posted      Profile for roxy   Email roxy         Edit/Delete Post 
I did get put up once. I was eleven, I think, but they tried again when I was thirteen, and I wouldn't let them. Two years ahead would've been too much for me.
Posts: 358 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  20  21  22   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.