FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » New members post here! (Page 4)

This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  20  21  22   
Author Topic: New members post here!
Lisa Kane
Member # 3928

- posted      Profile for Lisa Kane           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, new member today. I'm from near Manchester, England (Great Commonwealth Games guys). I am also an al-u-min-ium pronouncer.

Looking forward to discussing (arguing??) with you

[This message has been edited by Lisa Kane (edited August 05, 2002).]

Posts: 9 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tarigwaemir
Member # 3870

- posted      Profile for tarigwaemir   Email tarigwaemir         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I disagree with the whole idea of refusing to skip grades. It's a personal choice, of course, but in my case, I didn't regret it. Of course, I got put up really early, when I was seven, so I probably had less of a difficult time. I had some trouble with making new friends and I went to see the counselor rather too frequently, but academically, skipping a grade was hardly a problem.

I feel like I wasted a lot of time in school waiting for teachers to review material from previous years, and I find the pace much too slow in many of my classes. The only subject where I feel like I'm at the right level is in math, and that's the one subject where I'm yet another year ahead, because I chose to accelerate in ninth grade. So of course, it's your choice, but skipping a grade may save you some valuable time yawning in class.

Posts: 30 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roxy
Member # 3416

- posted      Profile for roxy   Email roxy         Edit/Delete Post 
I also am a year ahead in math. I just didn't feel at the time that a thirteen-year-old should be going into tenth grade.
Posts: 358 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
They wanted to put me back a year, but I just wasn't comfortable with the idea. Maybe it's okay for some OTHER people to be kept behind, that's a decision every 'special' child has to make, but I didn't feel it was right for me.

I graduated upper-class twit of the year, and I've never been sorry for it. Not once.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Such Beauty
Member # 4000

- posted      Profile for Such Beauty   Email Such Beauty         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all. I'm a new member, although I've been reading for a week or two.

I'm a new Card fan - about a month ago I heard some friends of mine debating the Ender books (specifically Speaker for the Dead), & decided to see what all the fuss was about. Needless to say, I just loved them. I loved the characterization, the situations, everything. I personally prefer the Speaker books to the Shadow books, but I think all of them are great.

Yesterday, I went out & after going through three book stores, bought all of the Ender books (some used). I'm leaving for college soon, & I'm happy that I'll have them with me!

I just want to talktalktalk about Ender. My friends are getting a little annoyed! But I feel that there's SO much to get from them, why shouldn't they be discussed?

I have Enchantment sitting on my nightstand, ready to read, but I have another book to finish before I get to it. After that, I hope to branch out to more Card books.

Umm, let's see. I'm Sarah, 18, from Richmond, VA, &...yeah.

And I kind of chose my username on a whim - one of my favorite quotes from Ender's Game is "I could follow such beauty," (Ender to Bonzo), so, well, I just kind of went from there.

[This message has been edited by Such Beauty (edited August 14, 2002).]

Posts: 4 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigma
Member # 4005

- posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi! I'm a long time OSC fan and I love Ender's Game, you wouldn't believe how Ender has changed my perspective of the world. I've come to this forum and randomly lurked around a few times in the past year or so, but I've never thought I would have the time to hang here regularly. I still can't, I'm a very busy person (aren't we all), but I'll try to check in at least once/twice a week.

About me: I'm 17, a senior in high school/ freshman in college (dual-enrolled) and I plan to double major in music (violin and piano) and biology (genetics). I'm also an avid reader (when time allows for it).

I hope to have many interesting discussions here on hatrack!

Posts: 21 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speaker for the Dead430
Member # 4021

- posted      Profile for Speaker for the Dead430   Email Speaker for the Dead430         Edit/Delete Post 
Sup, i'm kelvin, 14, from the beautiful city of Vancouver. (aside from the high sale tax, polluted water, stupid politicans, drugess

I've read almost every book by OSC, and just loves how he addresses the downside of Human nature, like in Speaker for the Dead, Children of the mind...

I also read LOTR, Dream of Eagle series by Jack Whyte, Dragonlance, and the Golden Compass series by Philip Pullman

Posts: 7 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
powerfulcheese04
Member # 4022

- posted      Profile for powerfulcheese04   Email powerfulcheese04         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi! I'm new! My name's Kim. I'm 16 and from Texas. I love OSC, the author, and OSC, the person. I've read all the Ender stuff, and, I've started the Alvin Maker stuff. Errr.. uhh.. can't think of anything else to say, other than, "I don't wanna go to schoooool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BootNinja
Member # 2296

- posted      Profile for BootNinja   Email BootNinja         Edit/Delete Post 
hey, speaker, my favorite show is filmed in your city(well, right outside it).
Posts: 557 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speaker for the Dead430
Member # 4021

- posted      Profile for Speaker for the Dead430   Email Speaker for the Dead430         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Bootnija, whihc one?
Posts: 7 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BootNinja
Member # 2296

Smallville

oh, and if you happen to see allison mack, I'll be your best friend for life if you get me her autograph. Her last name is the same as my first name. But that has nothing to do with my interest.

[This message has been edited by BootNinja (edited August 19, 2002).]

Posts: 557 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SkepticTank
Member # 3800

- posted      Profile for SkepticTank   Email SkepticTank         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, new member here who can't think of anything to type right now. Just finished reading SP and I guess I'm still stuck in the Ender Universe.

Doesn't help that I'm super-stoked about meeting OSC later on today in San Jose!!!! YEBBA!!!! First time to ever go to a book signing, and I'm pretty sure that I'll be struck dumb when it's my turn to meet him. Maybe I'll just jot down all my questions and stand there with a goofy grin. Or maybe pantomime. I dunno, we'll see what happens. So if anybody else notices a mute weirdo gyrating all over the place in a Dragon Army shirt, that'd be me.

And speaking of Smallville, Kristin Kreuk is WHOAAA!!!!

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BootNinja
Member # 2296

Kristin is all right, but she doesn't hold a candle to Allison. but perhaps here is not the place for this argument. we don't want the topic nazis to arrest us. :-D
Orson
Member # 4031

- posted      Profile for Orson           Edit/Delete Post 
Great posts everyone! Keep up the good work.
Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Briesis
Member # 4025

- posted      Profile for Briesis   Email Briesis         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all! My name is Kathy and I'm obviously new! I'm 22 and I live in Mississippi. I have read OSC since I was thirteen and currently own every OSC novel that has ever been in print. Funny thing is I never bought a one! My brother never knew what to get me for christmas and birthdays till he gave me Ender's Game. After that I always requested an Orson book. He gives me four a year and has recently been having to delve to in the internet to buy out of print novels. This year he has nothing left to buy because he already bought me SP (yesterday in advance for my birthday!) and that's all I know are coming out! I feel so bad for him! I told him he'll half to start getting the Tolkien stuff now! Also my husband throughly enjoys all the OSC books and he is the only person I have ever known besides my brother to read them. So I'm so happy to have finally joined this message board! I have so much I want to talk about and now I have ya'll to talk with!
I hope ya'll have a great day!

Ari
Member # 4035

- posted      Profile for Ari           Edit/Delete Post 
Heyas! I'm new, too. Yes. That's right. A n00b. *ducks rotten tomatoes*

I'm 14. I read and I write and I sing and I dance and I act and I draw and I dictate very long, extremely annoying run-on sentences.

You might know me from the ROC, where I'm known as Mortari. And that's about it. No more. Zip. Zilch. Nada. Whee. ^_^

[This message has been edited by Ari (edited August 20, 2002).]

Posts: 29 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a lot of smilies, Briesis, even for an intro post.

edit: Briesis, Brisies. Whatever.

[This message has been edited by Ralphie (edited August 20, 2002).]

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Knobe
Member # 4037

- posted      Profile for Knobe   Email Knobe         Edit/Delete Post 
I am 14 and a different kinda guy Well I'm just different
Posts: 10 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Larner
Member # 4042

- posted      Profile for Larner           Edit/Delete Post 
I just joined today and I'm looking forward to this forum!

A friend of mine suggested I read Ender's Game, so I headed to the library to check it out. It seemed to be a popular book since it was out on both occasions, so I decided to take out Seventh Son and now I'm hooked on the Alvin Maker series.

I have read Seventh Son, Red Prophet, Prentice Alvin, and just started Alvin Journeyman and look forward to reading Heartfire.

I am just about hooked on the Alvin Maker series and recommend it to all my friends!!!

Posts: 21 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I just became a new member yesterday. I never thought that I would do this kind of thing. I came here about 6 months ago and read some of the subjects in this forum. I almost signed up then, but decided not to. Then, I bought Shadow Puppets on Monday and read in in seven hours. I came here because I didn't have anyone to discuss it with (none of my friends have read it yet). As I suspected there were already a couple discussions on the book going on. Anyway, now I'm starting to have a lot of fun.

My name is Jennie and I am 19 years old just about to start my sophmore year in college. OSC is my favorite author, but I love to read almost anything. That's about it that I can think of right now...

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roxy
Member # 3416

Knobe, how are you so different?
Posts: 358 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
flyby
Member # 3630

- posted      Profile for flyby   Email flyby         Edit/Delete Post 
wow hansen, my name is Jennie too. I love it when I find people spelled the same way. What's funny is that you are the second person today that I have found named Jennie. The last time I found someone named Jennie was almost 7 years ago, so I thought that that was pretty cool.

[This message has been edited by flyby (edited August 22, 2002).]

Posts: 1261 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathryn98466
Member # 4173

- posted      Profile for Kathryn98466   Email Kathryn98466         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I'm a new member and I thought I'd like to introduce myself in this topic. My name is Kathryn, (as my user name would imply) and I am a freshman in high school. I am a huge Orson Scott Card fan, and have read about 20 of his books. I really like browsing around this website, so I thought it would be fun to be a part of this message board. So, that's my little introduction, I look forward to interacting with some of you in the future!
Posts: 1 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! I'm new, sort of, so i thought I'd check in. I'm 17, live in Indiana, 5'6", blond, yeah. I've read about half his books, I thought it was more until I started counting, and realized how many I haven't read. Oh well, I'll be forced to make another trip to the library....
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farfetched
Member # 4129

- posted      Profile for farfetched           Edit/Delete Post 
New member, saying hi!! I've already posted on other subject matters because, like many of you, I'm opinionated and love to share it. I'm a mother of 4, and a foster mom of numberless. I found OSC 18 years ago when my brother offered "Ender's Game" to me. I will always be in his debt, though the years of waiting for OSC to finish writing additions to his collections were torturous.

I'm LDS myself and am constantly in awe of how OSC weaves all the fundamentals of the gospel as we understand it into his writing so that it stands out clearly and obviously to members, and yet tells that story so engrossingly that those with no doctrinal background enjoy and appreciate the tale as well. That's amazing to me.

I'm still on pins an needles for the final books of the Alvin Maker series, but when they are finally written and read, I think I miss the waiting.

Well, that's about it. I'm really going to enjoy taking part in this wonderful forum.
THANKS

Posts: 17 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Delora
Member # 4260

- posted      Profile for Delora   Email Delora         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I'm Delora (as if the user name didn't give it away) and I'm a 22yo female and lifetime Northern VA resident (grew up in Falls Church and now live in Fairfax). I'm a part-time college student and stay-at-home mother.

I've been an OSC fan since I was 12 when a friend gave me Speaker for my birthday. I read that and enjoyed the story, but was thoroughly confused at parts. It wasn't until after I finished that I found out it was a sequel to Ender's Game, which I promptly read, and was subsequently hooked

I've seen OSC 3 times now at book signings in VA, and had first lurked on this site 2yrs ago after finding out about it at a signing. I only recently came back a month or so ago.

And that's my life history in 150 words or less... You may or may not see me posting on the boards. I tend to be opinionated and outspoken, but also have very little free time. Thankfully I do work from home and can freely surf while working So, if you have any questions/comments/gripes, please let me know

~Delora

Posts: 4 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug J
Member # 1323

- posted      Profile for Doug J   Email Doug J         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, my name is Doug. I've just discovered OSC and find him pretty intresting. How is this website?
Posts: 7083 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon_Mage
Member # 4262

- posted      Profile for Dragon_Mage   Email Dragon_Mage         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, I'm a 18 year old college freshmen from Missouri. I discovered Ender's Game by accident last year, when my high school's library ran out of books that interested me. Being forced to find a book, I picked the first one that looked descent, which happened to be Ender's Game. Now, I'm a hardcore fantasy fan, having read LOTR when I was 12, and many other novels. Ender's Game was the first truely sci-fi book I enjoyed. Later that year I read not only the Speaker books, but Ender's Shadow and Shadow of the Hegemon. Just last week I picked up Shadow Puppets and couldn't put it down. After about 12 hours of reading, I finished it. OSC is the only writer who's works about global domination and manipulation I can stand(Shadow of the Hegemon, Shadow Puppets).
Posts: 8 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stringbean
Member # 4163

- posted      Profile for Stringbean   Email Stringbean         Edit/Delete Post 
My name is Craig and I'm 14 from Orange County, California. I first discovered Ender's Game and OSC when I was buying a video game. The guy ringing it up asked me if I liked reading (obvious yes!!!!), then recommended it. I picked it up a week later and set it down only to sleep and eat. Since then I have read it at least ten times. I also devoured the rest of the series. I finished Shadow Puppets in line at the Pasedena book signing where I got my Ender collection signed. Other interests of mine include wrestling, playing the piano, and watching/reading/waiting for LOTR.
Posts: 16 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Simon Jester
Member # 4286

- posted      Profile for Simon Jester   Email Simon Jester         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all. I'm a 21-year-old college student (Theater major, Telecommunications minor) from Columbia City, Indiana (about 30 miles west of Fort Wayne for all you Hoosiers). I also work with a local theater/comedy troupe when I have the time, cook when I have the ingredients, and write when I have the inspiration.

My first OSC novel was Ender's Game, which was recommended to me by Howard Tayler (I think I've seen him post here - be sure to check out Schlock Mercenary). Since then, I've read the entire Ender series up to Shadow Puppets - that's next on the list. I've also read the first two Homecoming books. Actually, Mr. Card is one of only two current SF authors I read on a regular basis (the other being John Barnes). I'm still working my way through the Old Guard (especially Asimov and Heinlein), and haven't really bothered with anyone new yet.

Anyway, I hope I don't step on to many toes while I'm still learning the ropes around here.

[This message has been edited by Simon Jester (edited September 26, 2002).]

Posts: 7 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roxy
Member # 3416

This thread doesn't do us any good if no one ever finds it, does it. We should put it back into use, seeing as how there are quite a few people that haven't 'introduced' themselves to me yet!
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Howdy. I'm a twenty-one-year-old college student in Provo, Utah. I have a major in English and a minor in art, though that will change next year to a major in English language and minors in editing and art. I'm an editor for the department of independent study, meaning I edit new course manuals. I enjoy reading, writing, playing around with my web site, drawing and painting, cooking when I'm not too lazy, and lots of other stuff.

My first OSC novel was Ender's Game, which was assigned to us in tenth grade English. I loved it and went on to read the rest of the Ender books. I've also read Pastwatch, though I haven't gotten around to picking up any other OSC fiction. Shame on me. As soon as I've got time, I'll work on that.

Questions? Comments? Feel free to ask. Concerns? Criticism? Keep those to yourself.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launcelot
Member # 3217

- posted      Profile for Launcelot   Email Launcelot         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a user name that I got from Toretha who wasn't using it. I'm 18 and go to N C State, majoring in computer science. I mostly just read, play video games(mostly gameboy), and do stuff on the computer(internet, etc.).

My first OSC book was Enders Game, which I read in the seventh grade. It was recommended to me by my brother and mother. I have since read the rest of the Ender books and the Bean books except Shadow Puppets. I have read all the Homecoming and Alvin Maker books. I've read Treasure Box, Lost Boys, Homecoming, Pastwatch, Wyrms, Songmaster, Folk of the Fringe, Sarah, Stone Tables, and several other that I can't remember but the total is somewhere around 23 books by OSC that I've read. I'm currently reading H. G. Wells book the Last War(originaly titled The World Set Free). And I plan to read more Asimov, and other classics.

I've actually been lurking around here for a little more than a month.

Posts: 21 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crystalc87
Member # 3672

- posted      Profile for crystalc87           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone. I'm new here too. I've accually been lurking for a while but this is my first post. I live in Alaska, i'm 15 years old, and i'm a sophomore in high school. The first time i read Ender's Game was in my 8th grade English class and i've been hooked ever since.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roxy
Member # 3416

Finally another sophomore!! If you've been lurking for a while, then welcome to the 'posting' side of Hatrack!
blacwolve
Member # 2972

*coughsophscough*
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roxy
Member # 3416

better than what we get called at dear old granger high . . .
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

What do they call you at Granger? At Cyprus, the worst thing I ever got called was "squashmore," and that was by my older brother's friends. They were total geeks, though, so they didn't have room to talk.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
crystalc87
Member # 3672

- posted      Profile for crystalc87           Edit/Delete Post 
well at least "squashmore" isn't as bad as what they call u when you'r a freshman.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Where I'm from, the freshmen go to the junior high, so the sophomores are the youngest kids at the high school. Don't ask me why they do it that way; I don't know.
blacwolve
Member # 2972

Wait, but them would the sophmores be freshman?
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

They fill the freshman role, but they're still technically sophomores. Like I said, I don't really get it. It's weird when you're a freshmen because you're technically a high-schooler, but you're at the junior high still. Teachers keep telling you that everything's going on your transcript, so you'd better think about college, but you're still in school with twelve-year-olds.
roxy
Member # 3416

Jon Boy, you went/go to Cyprus?

You know, I've been wondering that same thing, about the freshmen going to Junior High. We get called squashmore here, too.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Went to Cyprus. I graduated way the heck back in 1999. Now I'm at college.
JuniperDreams
Member # 3471

- posted      Profile for JuniperDreams   Email JuniperDreams         Edit/Delete Post 
Roxy... I HATE YOU! THAT MAKES ME THE DUMBEST ONE ON THE FORUM!!!!

Two years? How smart are you? The most i can say is i'm ahead in english, math, italian, and sci by one year!! WAaaahh!!! I hate ny!

Posts: 1245 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roxy
Member # 3416

Only one year, cuz i didn't want to . . . You can't be the dumbest one on this forum, that title's already been given to Glass
JuniperDreams
Member # 3471

- posted      Profile for JuniperDreams   Email JuniperDreams         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't feel bad... you're my favorite person now!!
Posts: 1245 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maethoriell
Member # 3805

- posted      Profile for Maethoriell   Email Maethoriell         Edit/Delete Post 
*coughpostsluttingcough*
Posts: 4628 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roxy
Member # 3416

Sorry, I should have put this at the end of my post, to show my sarcasm! Didn't mean to upset anyone . . .
roxy
Member # 3416

Well, good, since you look like Vin Diesel, in the right light, and with the right amount of alcoholic beverage . . .
  This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  20  21  22   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.