FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Help Convincing My English Teacher

Author Topic: Help Convincing My English Teacher
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
I have running arguments with my AP English teacher about what makes a book AP-level, why I don't like any of the books we've read so far this year, and what kind of books I would want to read instead. We also argue about magic realism vs. sf/f (we read Beloved, by Toni Morrison for class).

When she asks me what books I would have us read, I generally start with Card and go from there. Even though she likes Harry Potter, she's somewhat dismissive of sf/f when it comes to AP books. She's heard of Ender's Game, but hasn't read any Card, so I got her to agree to read a Card short story.

Now I need help picking the right one. I thought about Homeless in Hell, since it's my favorite Card story, but I don't know if it has enough "depth" to sufficently impress her. Then I thought about the Lost Boys short story, since it uses a similar device to that in Beloved, which she classifies as magic realism. But I don't know. What I really want is a sf or fantasy story that has enough depth, or seriousness, or whatever it is that makes something AP level to convince her both that Card is a great writer and that sf and fantasy are legitimate storytelling tools, even for something as weighty as AP. I have access to most of Card's stories through my own collection and the library, so I'm open to any and all suggestions. Please help me! [Smile]

[ April 10, 2003, 12:30 AM: Message edited by: Miro ]

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill
Member # 3376

- posted      Profile for Jill   Email Jill         Edit/Delete Post 
What about the "Ender's Game" short story?
Posts: 274 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattB
Member # 1116

- posted      Profile for MattB   Email MattB         Edit/Delete Post 
If she thinks that obscure, complex, and arty = quality, give her "A Plague of Butterflies."

"Unaccompanied Sonata," however, is probably about as good as it gets.

Posts: 794 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
What about "A Sephulchre of Songs"?
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second MattB's suggestion for Unaccompanied Sonata, it's wonderful.
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Unaccompanied Sonata is truly masterful. Another one that might appeal to a teacher, if only for all the literary references, is The Changed Man and the King of Words. I also think The Porcelain Salamander would be good in a classroom setting, but maybe not English. It's one of his more poetic-sounding stories (in my mind), but it's the philosophy rather than the writing that stays in my mind. The Bully and the Beast is great, too, or The Princess and the Bear.

Well, shoot -- I like 'em all, pretty much. I'll be of no help.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawn Smyres
Member # 4350

- posted      Profile for Shawn Smyres   Email Shawn Smyres         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my favorite OSC short stories was in a book called "Chrysalis 7." I think it was called Cross Country Trip to Kill Richard Nixon. Very funny and touching.

Ziggy is one of my favorite characters that OSC created.

Shawn Smyres

Posts: 110 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vampyr1818
Member # 4592

- posted      Profile for Vampyr1818   Email Vampyr1818         Edit/Delete Post 
I have adopted the theory that you should never reccomend or suggest a book to a teacher especially an English teacher. They say they will get around to it but never have time or forget, right now I am mad beyond reason because I have an ENglish teacher who is obssessed with Potter and will not even listen if I start off by saying, "I have found a book better then Harry potter, she won't listen. Whenever I try to tell her about a book I have to say it probably isn't as good as Potter and it makes me so blabbing mad. I agree that HP is great but we all know there are other books out there.
Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javertv
Member # 4793

- posted      Profile for Javertv           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, but when it comes to Advanced Placement material, only books of "literary merit" can be chosen. Fantasy and science fiction novels are excluded, with perhaps the exception of Asimov. Even Lord of the Rings, voted greatest novel of the 20th Century, cannot be used as a source for the AP test in May. Speaking of which...gotta get back to studying that...
Posts: 17 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I got a perfect "5" on my AP test -- although this was years ago, mind you -- by using Lord of the Rings and Brave New World to illustrate the use of place as metaphor.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

Ok, now I feel stupid. I know I've read "Sepulchre of Songs", but I can't remember what it's about. And I'm not sure if I've ever even heard of "A Plague of Butterflies". Could someone please remind/tell me what they're about?

Papa Moose - That's my problem too. I really like so many of them that it's hard to choose.

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
I read LotR in AP English.

I'll put in another vote for Unaccompanied Sonata.

Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skantman
Member # 4841

- posted      Profile for skantman   Email skantman         Edit/Delete Post 
Ender's Game, Unaccompanied Sonata, A Cross-country Trip to Kill Richard Nixon, Dowser, A Plague of Butterflies ...

If she doesn't like any one of those she needs to check her credentials as an English teacher, IMO.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

It's not so much that I'm worried about her liking the story, I think she probably will like most any of the Card stories I would choose to put in front of her. What I'm really aiming for is to get her to respect the story I choose.
Javertv
Member # 4793

- posted      Profile for Javertv           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, they accepted LotR !! "evil grin spreads on my face."
Posts: 17 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't advise the Ender's Game short story, while it's very good, it isn't on par with his later work.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

Ok, I gave her Homeless in Hell first. She liked it, but didn't think it AP material. Then I gave her the Originist, but she hadn't finished it when I last talked to her, so I won't know what she thought of it until next school year. I think I might try Unaccompanied Sonata next.
MattB
Member # 1116

- posted      Profile for MattB   Email MattB         Edit/Delete Post 
Heck, I think you should have tried it first. [Smile]

I think that The Originist wouldn't make much sense unless you know about Foundation, but it's been a while since I've read it.

Posts: 794 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite OSC short story has always been Dogwalker.

I just dig that fancy parlance.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wreicheous
Member # 5390

- posted      Profile for Wreicheous           Edit/Delete Post 
I think I saw the film version, of that.
Posts: 12 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
The film version of Dogwalker? I didn't realize it was out yet. Hey Geoff, why haven't you been keeping us updated?
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wreicheous
Member # 5390

Ya, it didnt seem, much like the other books of his I'd read, but it had, kind of, a sci-fi mind-control, theme to it.

[img]http://gfx1.gamelink.com/GLImages/prodimages/dogwalkdvd.jpg?wid=175&cvt=jpeg[/img]

Heres the cover for it.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Are you sure this is the same Dogwalker? Check it against the short story here. I can't imagine they're the same. [Edit - typo]

[ July 10, 2003, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: Papa Moose ]

Wreicheous
Member # 5390

OMFGLOL, that doesnt seem much like the dog walker I watched!

"Walking the edge, the excitement, the fear, the arousal! - The rush of life. But where does it all lead? Who is waiting? Steven St. Croix is a man on the edge. But he's used up all his margin for safety. All that's left is the cutting, the torture, the pain. Christina Angel, in exquisite, Angelic Beauty, Krysti Lynn dishing out the tease/torture like only she can, and Isis Nile as the temptress of the night. Director John Leslie's most ambitious film."

Miro
Member # 1178

quote:
I think that The Originist wouldn't make much sense unless you know about Foundation, but it's been a while since I've read it.
I had never read any of the Foundation when I read The Originist. It's what got me to read Asimov and be sorely disappointed that it was so different.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.