FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Thesis Statement Help

Author Topic: Thesis Statement Help
hoser
Member # 5071

- posted      Profile for hoser   Email hoser         Edit/Delete Post 
I am currently doing a long thesis paper connecting numerous novels by OSC by a common theme. I am having a tough time coming up with one, as OSC doesn't really love putting themes in his novels. If anyone has any ideas i would love to hear them. my e-mail is hefe222002@hotmail.com
Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoser
Member # 5071

- posted      Profile for hoser   Email hoser         Edit/Delete Post 
My possible Themes so far are
Children Geniouses, and the consequences of their abilities
Misunderstandings of other cultures
Fear of War, nuclear weapons
I would love to hear any themes

Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
The Mormon faith

I don't know if this counts as a theme, but it's in almost all of his books.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
::doesn't say it::

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
filetted
Member # 5048

- posted      Profile for filetted   Email filetted         Edit/Delete Post 
other themes that resonate in my memory of the books I've read:

1. being special (or being convinced of it by others) with the consequences of being an outsider

2. sibling rivalry and more extensively a kind of all-around oneupsmanship among characters

3. loss of loved ones

4. anger (pent-up, stifled, deflected, funneled into other forms, rationalized away, etc.)

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Here are some common themes:

Is it right to do evil -- even great evil -- to defend a greater good (like the survival of a species)?

Can someone remain human if all their needs are met?

Real greatness comes not only from power, but from the desire to share that power with others.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cassandra
Member # 4566

- posted      Profile for Cassandra   Email Cassandra         Edit/Delete Post 
*is not going to say anything, is not going to say anything is not going to say anything*

I should not have scrolled down to the bottom of my computer screen. *smacks self on head*

I'm not going to say anything, I'm not going to say anything, I'm not . . .

Posts: 594 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Is what you are all so carefully not saying, this?

DO YOUR OWN HOMEWORK!!!!

Please and Thank you.

There is also a research section for students. You might try there.

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cassandra
Member # 4566

- posted      Profile for Cassandra   Email Cassandra         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Shan, thank you . . . that was what I was trying so carefully not to say [Smile]
Posts: 594 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Why is Tom always trying to kiss up to the newbies?
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
'Cause he knows all the veterans are sick of him. [Wink] j/k

Oh my gosh, I just pulled a Tom! I used a winking smiley and a "j/k"! What's happening to me?

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chamrajngar
Member # 3242

- posted      Profile for Chamrajngar   Email Chamrajngar         Edit/Delete Post 
lol. good one.
Posts: 197 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.