FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » What was the most powerful OSC death scence?

Author Topic: What was the most powerful OSC death scence?
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
In the spirit of this thread, I wanted to start up a death scence one, how morbid. [Wink]

[EDIT: Papa Moose makes a good point here (thanks by the way [Smile] ) SPOILERS ARE UNDOUBTLY GOING TO SHOW UP IN THIS THREAD. Thank-you [Big Grin] ]

I'm not sure about mine, but maybe Joseph Smith's death in Saints. I don't know what it was but something really reached me in that scence. Maybe I'll post another powerful death scence later (OSC writes some good ones, I wonder what that means;)).

Hobbes [Smile]

[ May 01, 2003, 02:15 AM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose anyone entering this thread ought to know there could be spoilers galore, and they deserve what they read.

Ferret in Songmaster.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goeke
Member # 5061

- posted      Profile for Goeke   Email Goeke         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Ender's death and rebirth in Peter was handled very well, but nothing beats the shock of the first time the pequeninos flayed someone.

Hopefully, Card can handle Bean's death in a suitable manner, since it's almost inevitable.

Posts: 27 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lilandra
Member # 4425

- posted      Profile for Lilandra   Email Lilandra         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to say the same. I liked Ender's death but... well, maybe it wouldn't be considered as a death, but it moved me anyway. The most shocking, Pipo's and Libo's death in speaker for the death, and Gaballufix in the memory of the earth.

[ May 01, 2003, 07:43 AM: Message edited by: Lilandra ]

Posts: 19 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Promethius
Member # 2468

- posted      Profile for Promethius           Edit/Delete Post 
Gaballufix's was definitely the best death scene in my opinion. I liked how Naffi cut off that rat bastards head. But it was very graphic
Posts: 473 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
There is like about a thousand of them in one story [Razz]
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cassandra
Member # 4566

- posted      Profile for Cassandra   Email Cassandra         Edit/Delete Post 
Treasure Box- when Rowena has to kill her own daughter, Roz, to get rid of the beast. That was very moving in my opinion.
Posts: 594 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone has to say this- Quim. I think it was most moving because you get to know and admire him so much, he's just one of those totally human, totally beautiful characters, and you can't even mourn because he wanted to die that way.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
It didn't stop me from feeling sad. [Frown]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
It wasn't a "death" scene, but the rape in Hart's Hope was damn shocking.
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

*thinks of reading harts hope*

No bookstores where I live have very many OSC books. It took me 3 months on a waiting list just to get most of the books in the Alvin and Homecoming series. [Frown]

I would order it online but I don't want to waste money on the shipping. Maybe I'll see it somewhere, someday... [Frown]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Used bookstores?

I only have the one copy or I'd lend it to you.

I've lost track of how many times I have lent out EG and then had to turn around and buy a new copy. I figure it's community service . . . [Wink]

[ May 03, 2003, 12:13 AM: Message edited by: Shan ]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

Me too! I have "loaned" out 3 copies of Shadow of the Hegemon. [Frown]
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not a death scene, exactly, but the end of Lost Boys is heartbreaking.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
Amka, are you referring to the "Thousand Deaths" story in Maps in a Mirror?
Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yah.
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

Is that the one where the guys gets killed horribly, then cloned, then killed horribly agian, until they give up?
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. Finally a good argument for cloning... we can actually get justice for multiple murderers. Was that by any chance the point of said story?
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

No, it was political brainwashing, sorry, that's a really good idea. It was a rather disturbing story though.
Peruru Dragoon
Member # 2545

- posted      Profile for Peruru Dragoon   Email Peruru Dragoon         Edit/Delete Post 
When Hoom and Cammar fall down the side of the cliff in the Worthing Saga.
Posts: 61 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Quim is excellent.

I'd also propose Bonzo for consideration, even if it is from Ender's POV.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javertv
Member # 4793

- posted      Profile for Javertv           Edit/Delete Post 
Sister Carlotta's good-bye letter to Bean. Very powerful. Breaks down both the character, stoic as he is, and the reader as well.
Posts: 17 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

quote:
I'd also propose Bonzo for consideration, even if it is from Ender's POV.

Don't totally flame me, but what does the acronym "POV" mean?
Shan
Member # 4550

point of view, sweetie
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
When Suriawong gave Achilles the knife. I had a mental double-take, then went "duh, of course that would happen." It was kind of Potter-esque.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WedgeAntilles
Member # 5154

- posted      Profile for WedgeAntilles   Email WedgeAntilles         Edit/Delete Post 
The trouble with reading these threads is that I find out information before I read the book. I started reading The Memory of Earth but had to put it aside to read the new Star Wars but now I know that Naffi kills Gaballufix. My next choice of OSC was going to be Treasure Box. Oh, well.

I have only read two other OSC books - The Lost Boys and Homebody. I had such an emotional reaction to The Lost Boys I am surprised that I am still reading his books. I like the deaths that we don't know about until after the occur.

Posts: 58 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

I've finished reading The Worthing Saga recently, and I found one I'd totally forgotten. It's perhaps, the emotional one I've read.

SPOILERS
When Hoom dives after his child and forgives his wife and friend... [Cry]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Quim, hands-down. And Hoom after that.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

I personally think Hoom's was better (OK, "better" [Wink] ) but Quim's was pretty intense. I really likes it when Ender explains about Speaking for Quim too. [Cool]

Hobbes [Smile]

TwosonPaula
Member # 5511

- posted      Profile for TwosonPaula   Email TwosonPaula         Edit/Delete Post 
This may not count as a death scene, persay, but
I consider it one. When Dinah falls down the stairs in "Saints" and lands on her baby, then she feels it die. I almost threw up and I cried all night long. (I was pregnant.) [Cry]

Posts: 113 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stradling
Member # 1182

- posted      Profile for Stradling   Email Stradling         Edit/Delete Post 
Stevie, for me.

I have a bright and beautiful son.

Alden

Posts: 90 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vash2382
Member # 5494

- posted      Profile for Vash2382   Email Vash2382         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know it it would count as a death but I cried for hours when Val died at the end of the ender saga. It was just soooo sad [Cry] and it would have been cruel if it haden't been nessecary.
Posts: 13 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sliny
Member # 5460

- posted      Profile for sliny   Email sliny         Edit/Delete Post 
Planter. His death is so drawn out, and he so greatly desires to free himself from the descolada, and to be a hero like Rooter and Human. And the silent tree that grew from his body made his death that much more emotional.
Posts: 4 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
As a HUGE fan of the Shadow series, I think it would either be a. Achilles death. It was very fitting, and his epitah was incredible. or B. Satiyagi the Indian battle schooler who stood up to Achilles and was killed.
Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the death of the only living child of the Wyrm and Patience at the end of Wyrms was very emotional, partly because of the very emotional response of Sken. Was the child the equivilant of the Christ Child? did they murder it for their own survival? hmm... Was Wyrms based on a religious work? i almost assume it was, based on the prevelant themes, but it would be interesting to know for sure.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm willing to throw in a vote for Quim, but the most moving/powerful death scene for me was right at the beginning of Seventh Son. (Was his name Vigor? I'm having a memory lapse.) What a way to start a book, I get breathless just thinking of it.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I never realized how many of them there were....

Hoom.
Quim.
Vigor.
Carlotta's letter
Achille's was good, because it was so simple.

I'll think of more later.

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to 3rd Hooms death.

And 2nd Dinah's loss of her child after falling down the stairs. It made me sick too.

The planting of Human was beautifully cathartic.

Kemal's death at the hands of Pizarro's men in Pastwatch. Very cool. He got to be the man whose will (and death) changed the world (by buying time for Diko and Hunapu's plan to work.)

The death of Ensel Mueller in the Forest of Kuiu Keie(sp?). Actually, that whole part in the forest, when Sarenna disconnects in her own way as well, and Lanik realizes how alone he is, is heartbreakingly written.

The Massacre at Tippy-Canoe. "Come to me, my people." Makes me want to cry.

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I have a lot to go back and re-read.

Well, this is a thread full of spoilers, but: SPOILER ALERT anyway.

The one death that has stayed with me through the years (even though I only read it once) was Stevie, in The Lost Boys. His "death scene" itself wasn't graphically shown, but the fact that he died struck me so hard ... I had really connected with that family, and I've never forgotten how I felt for the weeks following reading that book.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Not exactly a death scene, but I thought that the scene in Pastwatch where they were actaully sent back was especially poignant.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

quote:
Originally posted by BandoCommando:
Man, I never realized how many of them there were....

Hoom.
Quim.
Vigor.
Carlotta's letter
Achille's was good, because it was so simple.
Kemal.
Human.
Ender/Jane and their near-death and reincarnation into other bodies.
I was even touched by the death of Han Fei-Tzu's wife at the beginning of Xenocide, seeing how it shaped the life of her daughter from thence forth.
Chris Colombus's death was touching, but not as powerful as others.
In Lost Boys, I had to do a mental double and triple-take, then go back and re-read a few pages when I realized that Stevie was dead.

OH! In Enchantment, Father Lukas' death was pretty darn good, too. If I remember correctly, he died to save the life of Sergei, his despised cleric.

Gabbalufix's murder was certainly a deep, moral read.

I tell ya what, though. I can't WAIT to read about Alvin's death - it's bound to be a good one.

I'll think of more later.

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

Whoops...that last was supposed to be an edit of my 1st post.

Ah well, forget it

cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread has made me realise how much my memory sucks. [Frown]
Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BandoCommando:
Whoops...that last was supposed to be an edit of my 1st post.

Ah well, forget it

You're able to go back and delete the posts you didn't want.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nikisknight
Member # 8918

- posted      Profile for Nikisknight   Email Nikisknight         Edit/Delete Post 
As for moving in a stomache churning way, Mebekew killing Vas in Earthfall, definately.
Everytime a "good" character dies, it's usually very moving.

edit: wrong characters the first time.

[ February 10, 2006, 09:07 PM: Message edited by: Nikisknight ]

Posts: 105 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.