FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » The Enders Series

Author Topic: The Enders Series
gantman
Member # 5258

- posted      Profile for gantman   Email gantman         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got done reading Speaker of the Dead and i am now reading the Shadow of the Hegemon....i am just curious what order theres is to the Lusitania section of the books...I know it goes Enders Game, Shadow of the Hegemon, Speaker for the Dead, but i cant figure which is first Xenocide or Children of the MInd...plz help me if u can....oh also does Shadow Puppets take place after the Hegemon?
Posts: 11 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I can help you out.

First off, Shadow of the Hegemon is not part of the Ender Series, it's part of the Shadow series. Here is the order of the two separate series:

Ender Quartet:
1. Ender's Game
2. Speaker for the Dead
3. Xenocide
4. Children of the Mind

Shadow Books:
1. Ender's Shadow
2. Shadow of the Hegemon
3. Shadow Puppets

Ender's series is mostly finished and it's unclear whether Orson Scott Card will continue with it. The Shadow series however, that one is not completed. You can expect to see Shadow of the Giant within the next few years.

Hope that helps. [Wink] [Smile]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gantman
Member # 5258

- posted      Profile for gantman   Email gantman         Edit/Delete Post 
God I love you.....thank you so much...glad to know i was going in the right direction [Smile]
Posts: 11 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

quote:
God I love you
I'll relay the message to Him. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

Oh, and you're welcome. [Smile]
Morpheus God
Member # 5183

- posted      Profile for Morpheus God   Email Morpheus God         Edit/Delete Post 
Haha.

SPOILERS:...

I don't think OSC will make another book in the Ender Quartet. The real Ender's body is dead (disintigrated), so you can't really go on without Ender. AND, quartet means four, so he would have to change series name to Quintet I believe for him to add another book. I don't know if he'd do that. But we'll see.

~Morpheus~

Posts: 30 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pokeme
Member # 4643

- posted      Profile for Pokeme   Email Pokeme         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in the process of re-reading Speaker for the Dead. Did anyone else find this book incredibly moving? I don't remember having these feelings the first time I read it. I thought it was very intellectual and a great read, but this time through I was just overwhelmed with defferent emotions. I don't ever cry during books and this was no exception, but even during the "uplifting" parts I had some very melancholy feelings. (Melancholy...good word) Anyway, maybe it's just different circumstances, but even re-reading Ender's Game I didn't feel the same way.
Posts: 8 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pokeme
Member # 4643

- posted      Profile for Pokeme   Email Pokeme         Edit/Delete Post 
I just realized that that had nothing to do with the topic. Sorry guys. I think I meant to say something about Ender's death but I can't remember what it was.
Posts: 8 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cassandra
Member # 4566

- posted      Profile for Cassandra   Email Cassandra         Edit/Delete Post 
pokeme- there's always the option of deleting your posts, though I don't think most people will mind if you're off topic [Wink]
Posts: 594 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pwiscombe
Member # 181

- posted      Profile for pwiscombe   Email pwiscombe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
AND, quartet means four, so he would have to change series name to Quintet I believe for him to add another book.
I'm pretty sure that there are five Books in the Hitchhikers Guide to the Universe Trilogy.

quote:
What made you write a trilogy in four (later 5) parts?

A poor grasp of arithmetic.
douglasadams.com

[ June 13, 2003, 07:34 AM: Message edited by: pwiscombe ]

Posts: 258 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

quote:
I don't think OSC will make another book in the Ender Quartet. The real Ender's body is dead (disintigrated), so you can't really go on without Ender. AND, quartet means four, so he would have to change series name to Quintet I believe for him to add another book. I don't know if he'd do that. But we'll see.
Well, the name, "Ender Quartet" had did originate from OSC. That was printed on the cover of Children of the Mind. It's not the official title of the Ender books.

So, if OSC wanted to write a book, he would be contradicting his publishers, not himself.

The book would have a lot to do with Ender Wiggin because of his children's actions, but nothing directly relating to Ender himself. It would most likely expand on the Descoladores planet, and where they find that are ramen or varelse.

So yes, another book expanding on the plot of the Ender books is definitely plausible.

Bego
Member # 5285

- posted      Profile for Bego   Email Bego         Edit/Delete Post 
okay first of all if you want to know the order to read the books in, how about looking on the list inside the book that also will tell you all the books he's done.
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, I thought Kristine said elsewhere that OSC now recommends first time readers to read Ender's Game, then the Shadow series and then go back and read SFtD, Xenocide, and CotM. I could be wrong.

I also thought there was talk of a ninth book in the series that would link the Ender's series with the Shadow series. Once again, I could be wrong.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
enderwiggin0
Member # 5284

- posted      Profile for enderwiggin0           Edit/Delete Post 
I heard about a book linking the two series together, too. I'm pretty sure its gonna happen...
Posts: 3 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Big-Dork
Member # 5252

- posted      Profile for Big-Dork   Email Big-Dork         Edit/Delete Post 
One more thought about OSC not writing another book in the series. There wasn't supposed to be a series in the first place... SFTD was an idea that OSC had but he needed a hero so he extended a short story he had written called "Ender's Game" and used Ender as his hero. OSC also wanted to write a metaphyical based book and so he wrote Xenocide and attached to the series, but the publishers said was too long and so he split it up into XENO and COTM. My point being is that he may follow the same pattern if he has another kind of book he wants to write. Just something I picked up in one of the forwards to his books.
Posts: 10 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jexxster
Member # 5293

- posted      Profile for Jexxster   Email Jexxster         Edit/Delete Post 
Mostly on topic here.

I recently got all my hard back copies of the Shadow series. So, naturally, I had to break out Ender's Game and read it for (I think) the 4th time. I am halfway done with Shadow Puppets now, and have to say that, as usual, Mr. Card has done a masterful job.

The ability to evoke such pathos for his characters, even some of the ones you may not really like (Peter anyone?) is simply brilliant. I find the 2 series to be very different, yet so similar in many ways. While, the first time I read Speaker for the Dead back in junior high I was bored, it is one of those books that has really come alive for me as I have matured (hopefully!) since them. In fact, I continue to find new levels to interest me to read them time and time again.

Hope you enjoy them as much as I do!

Posts: 240 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mialith2713
Member # 5246

- posted      Profile for Mialith2713   Email Mialith2713         Edit/Delete Post 
A book linking the two series together. you mean Ender's Shadow? It fills that role
Posts: 45 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vis Major
Member # 5052

- posted      Profile for Vis Major   Email Vis Major         Edit/Delete Post 
I keep hoping for a "Jane" series. Jane with a new body along with the new Ender/Peter seems to have such possibilities.
Posts: 8 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

quote:
A book linking the two series together. you mean Ender's Shadow? It fills that role
It doesn't link them actually. Ender's Shadow is simply Ender's Game from a different point of view. OSC will write a book that will link the two series together that takes place AFTER Ender's children found the descolada planet.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.