FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » SFTD Movie, It's Possible?

Author Topic: SFTD Movie, It's Possible?
Nico
Member # 4617

- posted      Profile for Nico   Email Nico         Edit/Delete Post 
Dou you guys think is possible made it a movie about Speaker for the Dead?

I mean...the pequeninos, the history about descolada...the whole Novinha's dilema...the Ender, Jane and the Queen in the middle all of this...

For me the SFTD book it's very complex to transform in a movie.

Posts: 30 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gantman
Member # 5258

- posted      Profile for gantman   Email gantman         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah it would be good but that cant do that till they do the ender's series, cause no one would know who ender was or anything about the queen and why it is important.
Posts: 11 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe OSC meant SFTD to be a stand-alone novel, unless I'm mistaken. It is part of the Ender series however, though you are correct that if they ever do make SFTD into a movie, it will obviously come after EG.
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
SFTD can be made into a movie. Children of the Mind on the other hand.....
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bego
Member # 5285

- posted      Profile for Bego   Email Bego         Edit/Delete Post 
it could be made into a movie. The watchers wouldn't need much background info. It would work much better than all the other books in the series. Except for perhaps Ender's Game.
Posts: 11 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laurenz0
Member # 5336

- posted      Profile for Laurenz0   Email Laurenz0         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaker for the Dead thankfully cannot be made into a movie. It has far to little action and far to much discussion to make it work. It has the subtleties that make a book great by getting inside someones head and it holds differant realties that cannot be made on film.

For example: Janes conciousness. That is something you can only visualize in your mind. what are they going to do? Make her sitting inside a big computer?

Speaker for the dead would be, with no other words to use, a boring movie. It has to much talk and not much action. Its only exciting when your inside the heads of the carachters you know and love. You can't fall in love with those in a movie because you don't have a part in creating, whereas you do in books.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alai
Member # 1663

- posted      Profile for Alai   Email Alai         Edit/Delete Post 
Laurenz0, I'm sorry that your under the impression that a good movie HAS to have action in it... 2001 and 2010 are two science fiction classics and yet neither of them have what you or I would call a lot of action. If a story is special, and they keep the story intact then there is no reason why it can't be portrayed on the screen.
Posts: 872 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laurenz0
Member # 5336

Alai, I think you may have misintereperated what I mean by action. I don't mean guns and viloence and such, but I'm talking about things happening. In this book you can get access to peoples discussions and thoughts on the discussions. In a movie this is impossible to make interesting because no matter what, people sitting and talking is not exactly incaptivating. I'm not an action junkie(my favourite movie is the godfather two which does not really hvae all that much going on), But I think that if movies of the Speaker triology were made, unless they added some stupid pointless action scenes, would be boring. Mind you, with the stupid pointless actions scenes they would be imposible to watch anyway.
Posts: 247 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
If SPFTD was adapted to a film, there would have to be great amounts of narration, that's for sure.
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if there would have to be narration. I guess there could be what sounded like narration. Maybe they can cast the giant brain lobster ear from Star Trek II- stick a Palm Pilot in the hole and there's Jane! Seriously, the part where Ender turns off his Jewel... it would have to be very different from the book. Valentine might have to know about Jane at that point, and Valentine would be like "Well, now you know how I felt when he left me". She'd only be like that if she was me, of course. So there are ways it could be done.

I think it's amazing how OSC was able to create the impression that Ender was so close to Valentine and Jane in such a small amount of the book. Then they are discarded in favor of Novinha.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wiggin
Member # 5020

- posted      Profile for The Wiggin           Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree the main reson that SFTD wouldn't make a good movie is that becasue we read whats going on the charecters heads so much in the book that a movie would be down right confuseing unless it was majerly adapted and i dont think thats smart.
Posts: 397 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlainN
Member # 5340

- posted      Profile for BlainN   Email BlainN         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that, at this point, SFTD could not be made into a good film. I don't agree that there is insufficient action in the story -- I would say there is too much action, really. The piggies. Pipo talking with the piggies. Pipo dies. The descolada. Novinha calls for a Speaker. What a Speaker is. Giving that even a lick and a promise would take at least 20 minutes of screen time, and we haven't even gotten Ender on the planet yet.

In a future world where special effects and CG have advanced to the point that good science fiction stories can be put onto film on a regular basis, I think Speaker (and the others) could be done well as series -- my friend would say that could be done now with anime.

I'm not sure that you'd need to wait on this story until EG was done for story purposes -- Speaker can stand relatively alone from EG, although having EG there would explain the stupidity of the rules for dealing with the piggies, and why there are Speakers for the Dead.

Posts: 35 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laurenz0
Member # 5336

Would anybody actually want speaker as a movie? I'm already dreading the release of an Enders game movie.
Chris Kidd
Member # 2646

- posted      Profile for Chris Kidd   Email Chris Kidd         Edit/Delete Post 
why are you dreading the EG movie OSC is writeing the screen play.
Posts: 513 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laurenz0
Member # 5336

Becaues what if Ender isn't the carachter I fell in love with?
What if OSC's idea of Enders Game is differant than mine?
What if the child stars cannont portray the situations that Ender is in. No Child and most adults have gone through anything like that.

The movie to me seems impossible and I'm dreading its release and I hope I have the will power to skip it.

Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Then you'll see the movie, not like it, realize the book you love is still there, and get over it [Wink]
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laurenz0
Member # 5336

The book, however, will always be tainted with false images of characters and places that i didn't have a hand in creating.

[ June 30, 2003, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: Laurenz0 ]

Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What if OSC's idea of Enders Game is differant than mine?
Considering it's his creation, I believe he is entitled to create the movie in any way he pleases.

I'm sure your worries are unfounded, as it seems that OSC has a lot of creative control in the project. Who better than the author himself to guide the making of the film? I'm sure it will be a great movie.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm sorry that your under the impression that a good movie HAS to have action in it... 2001 and 2010 are two science fiction classics ...
They may be classics, but that doesn't make them good movies. In this case, I'd say that neither one of them is a very good movie. I also agree that not enough happens in SFTD for a movie.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

quote:
They may be classics, but that doesn't make them good movies.
Classic:
1. Belonging to the highest rank or class.
2. Serving as the established model or standard

Dictionary.com
[Razz]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laurenz0
Member # 5336

quote:
I also agree that not enough happens in SFTD for a movie.

I disagree with you, whilst plenty happens in the book, a lot of it is action that a movie can't use because so much of it relies on knowing and loving and creating the carachters. You have to really care about them.
Laurenz0
Member # 5336

quote:
Considering it's his creation, I believe he is entitled to create the movie in any way he pleases.

I'm sure your worries are unfounded, as it seems that OSC has a lot of creative control in the project. Who better than the author himself to guide the making of the film? I'm sure it will be a great movie.

Of course he can create it anyway he pleases, it just won't be the same way as I created it and I too am entitled to creation of it.

Yes, while it will probably be a good movie(if they can pull it off) Its the ruining of the book that i'm concerned about. I don't care about the movie.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Its the ruining of the book that i'm concerned about.
I don't really understand this mindset. No matter how bad a movie is, it doesn't delete one sentence from the book.

Starship Troopers was abysmally bad, but the book is *still* great. What Peter Jackson did to Faramir was a betrayal, but Faramir is still a cool character in the books.

Or is it that you're afraid that people who never would have heard of the book otherwise will now associate it with a mediocre movie?

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:

Classic:
1. Belonging to the highest rank or class.
2. Serving as the established model or standard

Again, I say that just because it is considered a classic does not mean that it is good. It means that it is *considered* good. The purveyors of taste *can* be wrong.

How many people actually enjoyed 2001 without already desperately wanting to because they loved the book? Not a lot, I'd say.

Laurenz0
Member # 5336

quote:
I don't really understand this mindset. No matter how bad a movie is, it doesn't delete one sentence from the book.

Its because the book is no longer the book. In my mind I see things from movie. The battle staion from the movie, the appearance of the characters. The scenes will even be the same.

The book is there, yet its not the same.

[ July 03, 2003, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: Laurenz0 ]

Nick
Member # 4311

quote:
The purveyors of taste *can* be wrong.
Actually no, they can't. If I say I don't like to the taste of asparagus, can you tell me that I'm wrong and that I really like it? [Roll Eyes]

[ July 03, 2003, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: Nick ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.