FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Which book should be a movie?

Author Topic: Which book should be a movie?
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
After just finishing Homebody (yes, I've had the book since it first came out in paperback, but just now read it, and so what? It took me nearly a decade to be able to read Lost Boys!! And yes, I see the irony of the homebody not reading The Homebody [Razz] ) anyway, after finishing it, I realized that it would be the easiest book to make into a movie and am surprised it has never been optioned. (Or has it, and I just don't know about it?)

Maybe OSC doesn't want to be "that guy who writes the horror movies" or maybe there is another reason. (The special effects at the end would be cool, though!)

So, which book do you think would be the easiest to translate to film.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
Homebody for sure. Treasure Box as well. I would love to see Lost Boys made into a film. I imagine someone could do a terrific job making all of these books into movies, and I would not be at all surprised to see them in the future.

[ June 13, 2003, 01:25 PM: Message edited by: Fitz ]

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
link.

I'm surprised the Queen of Exhaustive Inquiry would have missed Homebody being developed for film by Fresco Pictures. [Wink]

[ June 13, 2003, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: TheTick ]

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I think that the absolute best movie that can be made from an OSC book would be Hart's Hope, but it could also be done very very very wrong.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Tick, I never looked. [Razz]
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Wait, did I figure that wrong? Did he make 3.1 million for three books?!?

Man, I need to write some books. (Well, and be brilliant at it.)

WedgeAntilles
Member # 5154

- posted      Profile for WedgeAntilles   Email WedgeAntilles         Edit/Delete Post 
So far I have read Lost Boys, Homebody, and Treasure Box. Out of these books, I think that Treasure Box would make the best movie. I am only halfway through The Memory of Earth but I think that it would be a good movie as well.
Posts: 58 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
i would *not* like to see Lost Boys as a movie.

ha, can't you totally see Treason as one of those glossy sci fi miniseries?

i would really like to see a short story like sandmagic expanded into a film. i think i would really like looking at that on screen.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Treason would be a good one... [Smile] "Sandmagic" might work but I bet they would add a "femal interest", actually they probably would for Treason too...I suddenly feel the need for a vomiting smilie.

You know they're going to make The Book of Mormon into a movie? Well I think it would be great if they interlaced it with some of OSC's specifically Mormon stories (like "Family Home Evening") durring intermission or something.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snarky
Member # 4406

- posted      Profile for Snarky   Email Snarky         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, that link is six years old. The Enchantment movie was "slated for simultaneous release in summer 1998." Hmm. Something tells me that they decided not to do that after all.
Posts: 586 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Yeah, well, we all live in fantasy worlds a lot, hence the fascination with, well, for lack of a better term, Fantasy books. [Razz]

I saw that, too, but still hope that, eventually, Hollywood, or a brilliant indy company, will realize how good some of these books would be as movies. I just think that if they could manage to make a good movie, OSC would have a ton of new fans, which would increase my supply of people to talk to (or try to convert;)) about his work. [Big Grin]

(Well, that and I really want to be able to say to some people, "See? You should have listened to me all those years when I told you how brilliant the books were!" [Razz] Though, I have to admit, I've stopped telling people I want to be a groupie. Before I found Hatrack, I used to joke about hanging out on the street in front of his house. [Big Grin] Now that I'm here, though, I pretty much am hanging out on the street in front of his house. Well, obnoxious as I am, it's probably more like I've invited myself in for lemonade and they can't figure out how to get rid of me politely. [Wink] )

So, outdated or not, I'm still holding out hope that someday, someone somewhere will pull their head out of wherever they have it currently stowed and figure out that we'd like a movie. (Producer/Director wise. I know OSC can't do much about the situation.)

blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Can I be a groupie too?
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to see Wyrms made into a film. It has all the ingredients of a great epic, yet it is fairly short- so I'm hoping they wouldn't have to abridge it.

A king, a princess who is forced to leave home in order to find herself; aliens; mystery; sabotage and undefeatable loyalty and love set against the effects of xenophobia.

The characters are all visually unusual and interesting and some of the passages are, quite simply, poetry.

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
En Vista
Member # 3848

- posted      Profile for En Vista   Email En Vista         Edit/Delete Post 
Uhm aren't there plans to make Homebody into a movie? I thought there was at least a script out there somewhere. I would look this up to make sure, but I'm just too much of a lazy, time-pressed American to do so.
Posts: 53 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.