FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Memory of Earth & Book of Mormom

Author Topic: Memory of Earth & Book of Mormom
Bego
Member # 5285

- posted      Profile for Bego   Email Bego         Edit/Delete Post 
Ever read memory of earth? Interesting book right? The interesting thing is I knew what would happen and I just finished the series. Why is this? The Book of Mormon is what he based it on. What do you think about the issue?
Posts: 11 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sweet William
Member # 5212

- posted      Profile for Sweet William           Edit/Delete Post 
Omigosh!

Perhaps he should be sued for plagaism (sp?).

Maybe we should report him to the bishop!

Let's write a bunch of anonymous letters, 'kay?

Oh btw:
http://www.hatrack.com/osc/articles/openletter.shtml

[ June 17, 2003, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: Sweet William ]

Posts: 524 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WedgeAntilles
Member # 5154

- posted      Profile for WedgeAntilles   Email WedgeAntilles         Edit/Delete Post 
Sweet William, I haven't been a member long and I almost didn't continue because of an answer like yours. I don't know if you meant it to be a very sarcastic answer but that is the way it came across. A simple statement with the link would suffice and maybe your experience of how you found the link.
Posts: 58 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
The thing that sticks out in my mind is how close the dream of Lehi was to the account in the novel, but then the review of that dream with Nyef (sp?) was all weird.

I didn't wind up reading Earthborn because it seemed like we were never going to meet the maker of the oversoul. I can't remember some of the names anymore, I guess it's time to go back and re read the first four books at least.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
The last book was the most confusing of all. I loved it, but all the people were different and I don't understand where the angels and diggers come into LDS theology, though I suppose they are supposed to represent something else.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jettboy
Member # 534

- posted      Profile for Jettboy   Email Jettboy         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't read them because I was so familiar with the Book of Mormon. It ruined the whole series for me from the first chapter. It doesn't have to do with "plagarism issues," but with prefered taste. I find the Book of Mormon a much more interesting product than a sci-fi book series based on its premise. However, I salute OSC for trying even if its not for me. Personally I think a decent Book of Mormon reading guide commentary in the tradition of "Cliff Notes" is needed more than a seven(?) volume creative retelling.

Sweet William, why the sarcasm? I do admit this subject has been talked about several times, but there aren't any rules about numbers.

Posts: 2460 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UTAH
Member # 5032

- posted      Profile for UTAH   Email UTAH         Edit/Delete Post 
I had no problem at all with the Homecoming series being based on the Book of Mormon. What exactly is your question Bego? Did you think it sacriligious? I thought it was very cleverly done. OSC's mind is amazing! However, it was NOT my favorite series, and the Book of Mormon actually is a much better read.

[ June 18, 2003, 11:36 AM: Message edited by: UTAH ]

Posts: 277 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoffrey Card
Member # 1062

- posted      Profile for Geoffrey Card   Email Geoffrey Card         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Sweet William was so sarcastic because Bego was so emphatic with his "I-know-something-you-don't-know" attitude [Smile]
Posts: 2048 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WedgeAntilles
Member # 5154

- posted      Profile for WedgeAntilles   Email WedgeAntilles         Edit/Delete Post 
I am still making may way through the Memory of Earth because I have put it down to read other books. I think that even though it follows the Book of Mormon, the originality and the filling in of details sure makes it good reading. My favorite details are of those of Rashgallivak or the servant of Laban. A little character mostly skipped over in the Book of Mormon given more importance in Memory. These added fictional details helps me to think more about the characters in the Book of Mormon and wonder about what they were really like.
Posts: 58 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sweet William
Member # 5212

Thank you, Geoffrey, that was exactly it. [Smile]
Posts: 524 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Computer
Member # 5291

- posted      Profile for Computer   Email Computer         Edit/Delete Post 
memory of earth was okay...I liked how in the next books he seemed to add more angles and changes to it.
Posts: 13 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Computer
Member # 5291

...making it different from the Book of Mormom
Posts: 13 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sweet William
Member # 5212

BTW, I really enjoyed the series. I still don't grasp the symbolism of the angels and the rats back on Earth, though. (Okay, it's been awhile since I read them.) [Smile]
Computer
Member # 5291

i got kind of dissapointed at the end. I always hoped they would meet the keeper but they never did. I thought it would also be nice if OSC wrote another book so he could talk about Akma (Alma) in the later years.
WedgeAntilles
Member # 5154

Ok, I finally finished the book and can remember the name that I was trying to remember as the servant of Laban - Zdorab.
Very good book but I don't know when I will finish the series. Harry Potter comes out soon so any other books are going to have to wait a few days. And then there is that Hillary Clinton book! [Roll Eyes]
And since I now know that they never meet the Keeper, should I continue to read?

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, I guess I could have put a kind of spoiler warning, but since it's based on me NOT having read the book... I just had a growing sense of frustration about feeling lead on.

I wasn't too into the angels and diggers either. I guess I really enjoyed the parts that occured on Basilica (again, betraying my senility with whether that's the planet or the city) but when they got to Earth it was kind of a let down.

Does the story of Akma correlate only to Alma the younger or does it encompass the conversion of Alma the Not Younger and Abinadi?

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.