FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Anyone know if Shadow of the Giant...

Author Topic: Anyone know if Shadow of the Giant...
ConfusedOne
Member # 5296

- posted      Profile for ConfusedOne   Email ConfusedOne         Edit/Delete Post 
Will include Bean and Petra, Or go onto about Petra and her children?

--Your just jealous, Cause the lil' voices only talk to me.--

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
En Vista
Member # 3848

- posted      Profile for En Vista   Email En Vista         Edit/Delete Post 
the continuity of things would suggest that the next installment on the Shadow Series will have Bean's big dramatic death taking up, what, like a hundred pages?? Then I'm thinking Bean's kiddies steal the show and they have all kinds of whacky adventures with Peter. Who knows if Petra will enter into any of this. Hey, wouldn't it be cool if Jane-Val wisked back in time to pick up Bean (because he's the smartest man in the universe, duh, and he's the only one that could even come close to communicating with the descoladores) only to find that he's dead and his half dozen offspring are mankind's only hope. Hehe, I have an active imagination.
Posts: 53 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chamrajngar
Member # 3242

- posted      Profile for Chamrajngar   Email Chamrajngar         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah! And then, like, another alien race pops up, and trys to live in harmony with Earth, but one of Bean's kiddies, along with China or Russia, builds another IF. Then, they try to build like this... Death Star thing form Star Wars, and blow up the alien's home planet, and... and... I forgot... Dang... I had a good idea going there...

[ June 20, 2003, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: Chamrajngar ]

Posts: 197 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chamrajngar
Member # 3242

- posted      Profile for Chamrajngar   Email Chamrajngar         Edit/Delete Post 
Wonder if this is gonna go on that long. hrm...
Posts: 197 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Computer
Member # 5291

- posted      Profile for Computer   Email Computer         Edit/Delete Post 
Where do you even find information about it. All I've been able to find is the title. Where do the rest of you get the information.
Posts: 13 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chamrajngar
Member # 3242

we don't. we read the books, then pull stuff out of the 'collective rectums' of hatrack. [Big Grin]
Chamrajngar
Member # 3242

lol.
Qrios
Member # 5259

- posted      Profile for Qrios   Email Qrios         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, Bean and Petra's kids have to show up again soon and tie all this together. And who else could be the Giant? Except maybe the giant in Ender's computer game. . . Possible, but less likely.
Posts: 39 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
The next book will include Bean's death, I believe, as OSC said it would.

We, at Hatrack, have speculated that Bean is somehow involved in the creation of Path. Although Bean is African and Greek and Path is Chinese, it seems clear that the people on Path have the intelligence key turned on. It is possible that in trying to cure Bean's problem, they stumbled on a way to keep the intellingence, but instead of having a very short life span, they flipped a different key and they became obessive/compulsive.

Also, after Shadow of the Giants, OSC has said he might write a 9th book to bridge the two series.

As long as I'm speculating here, I might as well speculate some more.

I was reading Xenocide and was struck by the conversation Ela, Jane, Han Fei-tzu and Si Wang-mu were having about the Godspoken of Path, the genetic enhancements and the fact that Wang-mu had the enhancements, but not the OCD.

Ela said, "There are a few other mutated regions that we aren't quite sure of at the moment, but they have nothing to do with the OCD or the enhancements. Nor are they invovled in any of the vital processes, so this person should be able to have healthy offspring that carry the trait."

To me, that raises the question of whether or not Wang-mu is related somehow to Bean, or if she was also created the way Bean was, but someone figured out how fix the Anton's key flaw. The question is, why? Why Wang-mu. Who were her parents? Did she just happen to be convenient at the time the researcher needed an embryo? Who was the researcher?

One has to wonder why that sentence was dropped in there, though. When written, I don't think OSC had actually planned to write the Shadow Series. But, I could be wrong.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euterpe~
Member # 2235

- posted      Profile for Euterpe~   Email Euterpe~         Edit/Delete Post 
Your post got me thinking, Kayla. I don't remember where, but in one of the Shadow books, someone (maybe Anton himself) mentions that he found multiple keys. But he can't talk about them because of his barrier. So, why couldn't one of his other keys link OCD with intelligence? And maybe the IF had access to his files, which the Starways Congress then inherited. Can't you just see a bunch of politicians coming across Anton's other keys and wanting to turn them?
Posts: 27 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
***************************SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERSSPOILERS**********************************

A little over a year ago, Card mentioned in an email to me that the Link Book (The book that comes after Shadow of the Giant, linking that series to Children of the Mind) will have Bean's child meeting Ender-as-Peter. So yes, Bean's kid does jump forward in time.

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
Not necessarily. Why would he need to jump forward in time? Ender didn't. He could just keep travelling like Ender did.
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
That's a good point. Bean's child (I wonder if it's a girl or a boy...) could have been making starship voyages parallel to Ender's.

<nitpick>
Oh btw, confused one:
quote:
--Your just jealous, Cause the lil' voices only talk to me.--
The "Your" in that line is supposed to be the contraction "you're"(you are), not the possesive "your". I know you're using words like lil' but that your part just bugs me. [Wink]
</nitpick>

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
That's actually what I meant by jump forward in time.
Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

quote:
That's actually what I meant by jump forward in time.
Oh, my mistake. [Wink]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine too. Sorry Calvin.
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

's all good. no worries. ;-)
Max Factor
Member # 5474

- posted      Profile for Max Factor   Email Max Factor         Edit/Delete Post 
I really hope OSC makes a book that joins the Shadow series and the Ender series at the end, it just kinda leaves you hanging there.
Posts: 9 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

quote:
I really hope OSC makes a book that joins the Shadow series and the Ender series at the end, it just kinda leaves you hanging there.
Well, I can tell you that....

*SPOILER*

It does happen that way.

*/SPOILER*

Welcome to Hatrack! [Big Grin]

Eiskalte
Member # 5438

- posted      Profile for Eiskalte   Email Eiskalte         Edit/Delete Post 
tell me, were the HTML references REALLY neccessary in that discussion, i noted quite a few...

And why was someone wondering if bean would die in the last book? Ender did, so shall bean.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

quote:
tell me, were the HTML references REALLY neccessary in that discussion, i noted quite a few...
Well aren't you just mister/misses party pooper. [Razz]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.