FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Dear Abbie

Author Topic: Dear Abbie
JLcke
Member # 5171

- posted      Profile for JLcke   Email JLcke         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe I recall a time when Hatrack was concerned with morality and the signifigance of state. Of late, we've had an influx of dating questions, "lil voices", and pot-shots. Is there a change of managment of which I am unaware?

--Locke

Posts: 56 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I did start posting a couple of months ago so maybe it's me... there are some terms I wasn't familiar with before, such as "Straw man" and now "Lil voices" and "potshots." I'd obviously have to be a complete paranoiac to think you were talking to me specifically, but I would like to know what you mean by those.

I think several political landmarks in the last five years have altered the tone of pseudo-intellectual discussion, namely the Clinton impeachment, the 2000 election, and the War on Terror. Maybe it's just me being an adult now, but it doesn't seem like there were issues so divisive in the past.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JLcke
Member # 5171

- posted      Profile for JLcke   Email JLcke         Edit/Delete Post 
POT*SHOT (noun)(pawt-shawt)

childish, and usually base,insult to someones character or intellect.

See Plemet (or the part just before this)

Posts: 56 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
filetted
Member # 5048

- posted      Profile for filetted   Email filetted         Edit/Delete Post 
JLcke,

I'm of a similar opinion as Pooka.

I think it is difficult for any "lil voice" intellectual to give the issues you mention any sincerely thoughtful treatment when the BIG voices indulge in continuous smoke and mirrors exploitation of the mass american attention span.

It looks like a circus, sounds like a circus, and smells like a circus. what's wrong with throwing a little popcorn around?

flish

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cowboyfeng1
Member # 5302

- posted      Profile for cowboyfeng1   Email cowboyfeng1         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is there a change of managment of which I am unaware?
Locke

I thought an integral part of forums like this is the fact that there is no "management" of the posts except for moderators/administrators editing obscene or shocking posts. In other words, we the posters are responsible for the content of the forum. I admit I did ignore the rules pages and will read them later if I keep posting.
*self-mocking*
"We, the posters, of these United Forum Pages..." [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 96 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UTAH
Member # 5032

- posted      Profile for UTAH   Email UTAH         Edit/Delete Post 
What does "Discussions about Orson Scott Card" mean? How many threads actually relate to this sub-category of the Hatrack River Forum? I agree, JLcke, many have strayed. The other forum, Books,Films, . . . is much more interesting and makes for fun reading.
Posts: 277 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chamrajngar
Member # 3242

- posted      Profile for Chamrajngar   Email Chamrajngar         Edit/Delete Post 
Shut up UTAH. I agree with cowboyfeng1. He maybe a newbie, but he makes sense.
Posts: 197 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adeimantus
Member # 5219

- posted      Profile for Adeimantus   Email Adeimantus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry, I thought that the Books, Movies....Forum was for all the BS on the site that we weren't going to talk about on Discussions. No, I'm kidding.
I agree with cowboy, there really is no Management of the Forums other than the obscene stuff thats editted.The posters are really the ones who controll whats talked about. But I seen and participated in some good discussions and I have also seen and participated in some pretty bad discussions. But, I've always had fun on Hatrack, and I think thats the main point. I'm sorry bout my earlier comment on Books...I really haven't been over there so I can't really comment. Discussions is better though...

Posts: 107 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chamrajngar
Member # 3242

- posted      Profile for Chamrajngar   Email Chamrajngar         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, and I guess i've taken a few to many potshots at people.
Posts: 197 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually folks, there is a bit of management. I have seen specifically off topic discussions moved to the other side of the forum.

But management or no, come on. The reason there are the the two forums are so that people who only want to talk about the books can stay focuses and so that there can be a place where any topic can be discussed.

I know that some folks are intimidated by the other forum, but they won't bite too much. Also, there is another site that has a forum that, for those of you who want to talk about other things with like minded people (OSC fans) but are too intimidated by the Books, Movies... forum try visiting the forums on www.philoticweb.net.

And be kind to one another. If you don't, I'll sing the "kindness begins with me" song.

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I post in Books... a lot and it astonishes me how little effort is made to stick to that. There is a lot of Politics and Religious bandying that I suppose fits loosely under "Culture" but I kind of wish there were a separate forum for those. As it is I just try to ignore those threads.

I do try to stick the OSC topic on this side.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UTAH
Member # 5032

- posted      Profile for UTAH   Email UTAH         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Shut up UTAH. I agree with cowboyfeng1. He maybe a newbie, but he makes sense.
Did I offend? Was my logic too much for you? Or are you just in bad mood?
Posts: 277 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
pooka:
quote:
I post in Books... a lot and it astonishes me how little effort is made to stick to that. There is a lot of Politics and Religious bandying that I suppose fits loosely under "Culture" but I kind of wish there were a separate forum for those. As it is I just try to ignore those threads.
It doesn't bother the Cards, so I see no reason why it should bother me.
Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
Ummmm....

The term "Books, food, film, and american culture" was sort of the Card's way of saying, "Everything else in the universe."

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
filetted
Member # 5048

Sandbox.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
*hands filleted the pooper-scooper*
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

So I guess Ornery was established solely for those with Posterior Arthropod Syndrome. (Referencing a Saturday Night Live skit starring John Lithgow). I don't even know if Ornery is a .com or .org.
filetted
Member # 5048

I took a look at ornery once. First there was the blowhard generic invite/insult to anyone who had ever pursued an education (that made me cross-eyed). Then, I delved into some longwinded "argument" over some bloke named Kerry or Kery, or maybe it was Kerrey? I lost track.

The sense of self-righteousness... the conviction, the partisanship, the rhetoric... it was very engaging, "is he a bastard? is he a hero? "
though dumbfounding when I realized the participants didn't know who they were talking about. I had a sense of Bob and John. They all kinda look and talk the same, those vietnam vet democrat types.

this was the "serious" intellectual side? self-parody is what I read.

I prefer the sandbox, where pseudo-intellectualism rules and rightly so.

Organic Power
Member # 5313

- posted      Profile for Organic Power   Email Organic Power         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeez, some people are testy.

Um, I just got here, but yeah, does seem a bit low-blow-ish.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OrneryMOd
Member # 5242

- posted      Profile for OrneryMOd   Email OrneryMOd         Edit/Delete Post 
Ornery is www.Ornery.org.

You judge the site and the posters there on two threads that you read? Come on. I belive that since a couple of people have been removed from the site we have had some very interesting discussions in the past month.

OrneryMod

Posts: 45 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Okay, I'll have a look but not because of the thread I read that argued whether women can "handle" ornery.org. My nasty remark about ornery was more to the point that there is a place besides the sandbox (Books...) that is delineated for politics. It's funny, I loved John Lithgow but I never watched 3rd Rock. I actually really like all the actors on that show, but apparently not working together.
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
the new mod seems very good.
Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.