FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile login | search | faq | forum home

This topic has been moved to Books, Films, Food and American Culture.     next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Is Jesus really THE Son of God?

Author Topic: Is Jesus really THE Son of God?
Josh W
Member # 5253

- posted      Profile for Josh W   Email Josh W         Edit/Delete Post 
If not, what name should we give him? I honestly don't know. He has had many names over the years, but what is he really?

That also raises the question - Is there only one true god? Are all other religions other than your own incorrect? If you're Christian are Middle Eastern religions false? And if you're Jewish have Christians been decieved?

I believe that Jesus was, to this day, the PERSON who most understood the importance of goodness and the meaning of community, and had the ability and desire to pass it on to others. Of course he recieved that "knack" from God... but I don't believe that makes him the Son of God.

The bible is very old. I can't take it word for word. What makes the stories that the people closest to Jesus the only true/correct ones? Did Jesus really perform all those miracles as they are stated in the Bible, or are they exaggerations? How many stories do you know that originated ten years ago that are now blown out of proportion? I have found a lot of very valuable lessons in other religions holy writings also.

So, to me, the Bible is a guideline for living and the stories are lessons or allegories, not 100% reality.

Everybody - I'd love to hear your beliefs. What is Christ to you? Is you're God the only true God, or are all religions who look to a higher power really worshipping the same God? (Heathen religons not included)

Posts: 13 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I'm pretty sure that I'm God. And none of you can prove me wrong. So there.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cowboyfeng1
Member # 5302

- posted      Profile for cowboyfeng1   Email cowboyfeng1         Edit/Delete Post 
If you are God,why are you only "pretty sure" that you are divine? Doesn't that type of thing usually come with an instruction manual?
Your first sentence disproves your second.So there [Razz]
Also, how much do you pay for broadband?

[ June 20, 2003, 08:28 AM: Message edited by: cowboyfeng1 ]

Posts: 96 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RushFan
Member # 5245

- posted      Profile for RushFan   Email RushFan         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.
Posts: 12 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UTAH
Member # 5032

- posted      Profile for UTAH   Email UTAH         Edit/Delete Post 
This post really belongs on the other side. I also do not take the bible literally. Through years of translation and deletion and addition, it is not a true accounting. I do believe that Jesus Christ is the literal Son of God, however, and I do believe He performed all those miracles. Miracles still occur everyday.

[ June 20, 2003, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: UTAH ]

Posts: 277 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chamrajngar
Member # 3242

- posted      Profile for Chamrajngar   Email Chamrajngar         Edit/Delete Post 
How about we call him a 'profit' of God if we caan't call him 'The son of god'. But for once, I agree with UTAH. I guess I'm changing or something... Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I'm not a Christian... hrm...
Posts: 197 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WedgeAntilles
Member # 5154

- posted      Profile for WedgeAntilles   Email WedgeAntilles         Edit/Delete Post 
Jesus became the Son of God because of his obedience to the commandments and the will of God. I do not think that he is physically the son of God.
There is truth in all religions and some incorrect teachings as well.

Posts: 58 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WedgeAntilles
Member # 5154

- posted      Profile for WedgeAntilles   Email WedgeAntilles         Edit/Delete Post 
I also view the scriptures as people's experience in learning and understanding of God. I do not think that everything in them is true but they are correct as to the people's understanding. I see them like unto my journals: what I understood ten years ago has been added upon and now my understanding has increased and changed. In the scriptures, we have so many different people's experiences and understanding that sometimes it looks as if they contradict each other. Or, incorrect understanding is included and is misleading.
Posts: 58 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chamrajngar
Member # 3242

- posted      Profile for Chamrajngar   Email Chamrajngar         Edit/Delete Post 
So you don't think he is biologicly, but he still is? Huh, never thought of that before...
Posts: 197 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laurenz0
Member # 5336

- posted      Profile for Laurenz0   Email Laurenz0         Edit/Delete Post 
The argument is moot. One can ever really answer if he is the son of god or not, because no matter how much proof you have that he isn't, you can't comprehend how higher powers and how they function. It would be like a rabit trying to understand how we think. Therefore, one could always use the argument:
God could have led you to believe that.

Its an arrogant thing to do to either say: There is a god, or there isn't a god. Because one can never know.

Believing, on the other hand is a perfectly acceptable alternative to knowing.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonguetied&twisted
Member # 5159

- posted      Profile for tonguetied&twisted   Email tonguetied&twisted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Believing, on the other hand is a perfectly acceptable alternative to knowing.
I believe Jesus is the son of God, but also that they are one and the same (ie, Jesus IS God). The trinity, and all that. [Smile]
In that line of thinking, there cannot be any other gods.

Everyone's going to believe what they choose, though. *shrugs*

Posts: 1111 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How about we call him a 'profit' of God if we caan't call him 'The son of god'.
Does anybody else see what's wrong with that sentence? So, Jesus was a "profit"?
[Big Grin]

*cough*prophet*cough*

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonguetied&twisted
Member # 5159

- posted      Profile for tonguetied&twisted   Email tonguetied&twisted         Edit/Delete Post 
Lol. Subtle. *sarcasm* (also subtle) [Big Grin]
Posts: 1111 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.