FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » genetic testing

Author Topic: genetic testing
kaleep
Member # 3756

- posted      Profile for kaleep   Email kaleep         Edit/Delete Post 
ok, volescu performed a genetic test to check whether or not bean's children would have anton's key. wouldn't it be easier to just take nikolai, and use his genes, bean and nicolai are identical twins, except for the whole anton key thing. therefor, if they used nikolai to fertilize petra's eggs, you would have the same chance of getting anton's key in the children as.. well as the rest of the world's population.

the only conclusion i can come to is petra secretly wants her children to die at the age of 20. or could someone shed some light on this??

it is revealed bean and nikolai are identical twins at the beginning of chapter 15 in ender's shadow.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, in addition to the issues people usually have about genetic donations is the fact that Nikolai doesn't have the rapid aging thing going on. I guess I should check Philotic Web to see how old Bean is Chronologically when he marries Petra. It's probable he was in his early to mid teens and not technically an adult.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildZBill
Member # 5185

- posted      Profile for WildZBill   Email WildZBill         Edit/Delete Post 
Volescu's test was a fake, Petra knew there was no way to do the test.

Conception of children is an emotional/spiritual thing. I think that OSC got it just right. Petra wanted Beans children, no matter if they had Antons key or not.

Posts: 37 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jexxster
Member # 5293

- posted      Profile for Jexxster   Email Jexxster         Edit/Delete Post 
WildZBill has it right on the money there I think. I think OSC wanted to portray Petra as having a much more broad concept of what really makes a person than a few strands of ACGT. Therefore, even though Nikolai's DNA would be (nearly) identical to Bean's, to Petra, it wouldn't matter. Bean and Nikolai are different people, no matter the degree of similarity in their genome.

This was a beautiful portrayal of a belief (that I personally hold) that creation of a child is much more than a biological binding of two gametes. Rather it is also symbolic, in a very personal and spiritual way, a binding of the very spirits and beings of the people involved. And Petra desparately wanted that kind of bond between her and Bean, IMO much more than she actually wanted children, she wanted what children represent-her's and Bean's love and devotion for each other, a love and devotion that would extend to their child(ren).

[ June 20, 2003, 11:39 PM: Message edited by: Jexxster ]

Posts: 240 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
filetted
Member # 5048

- posted      Profile for filetted   Email filetted         Edit/Delete Post 
hmm... if you get geneticaly tested and it comes back positive? what does this mean? good or bad?
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jexxster
Member # 5293

- posted      Profile for Jexxster   Email Jexxster         Edit/Delete Post 
The answer to that question depends entirely on the the test was looking for. It could go either way.
Posts: 240 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
filetted
Member # 5048

- posted      Profile for filetted   Email filetted         Edit/Delete Post 
maybe petra is smart enough to understand that "anton's key" is simplistic and crude. maybe she believes that what she sees in bean is an epigenetic phenomenon and she's content to roll the dice?
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An anonymous user
Member # 5310

- posted      Profile for An anonymous user   Email An anonymous user         Edit/Delete Post 
If what is being suggested is that Petra hopes to perpetuate Bean's DNA and bear his children no matter what the risk, then I agree. I also believe that Petra is hoping for a heterozygous pairing with Anton's Key that would possibly render it ineffective. Remember, at this point we have no idea whether Anton's Key is a dominant or recessive trait.

[ June 22, 2003, 01:57 AM: Message edited by: An anonymous user ]

Posts: 8 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I don't know if that was made clear. Though I also don't remember Petra actually weighing that as a argument.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.