FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Whole nother

Author Topic: Whole nother
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard this usage on Seinfeld once but was very surprised to spot it in OSCs Rhino column this week. I'm not getting freaked out as a grammar Nazi, I'm just wondering who uses this. Is it a regional/cultural thing? It seems to be an idiom with an adverbial implication. So we aren't just saying something is different. It is completely different. A friend of mine asked me about it, as a linguist, several years ago.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
I think the proper usage was "whole other" but became "whole nother" because that's easier to say because of the ending-starting verbs... the same way the french make what would be "je ai" into "J'ai", except we just put in a constanant.
Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

But it suggests "Whole-another". Not that anyone has used this as a well-formed English expression.

I guess that "other", like all English words that start with vowels, actually has a glottal stop before the vowel. Perhaps it is easier to access the N than the glottal stop. (L and N use the tongue in similar spots) O may have properties that encourage a forward sound. I'm recalling the phrase "One way or 'tother".

Still, is it strictly a phonological change (to ease pronunciation) or is there a meaning difference? Or do we think there must be a meaning difference to justify the sound difference? I'm trying to think of an example of that. I guess the difference between "Trekkies" and "Trekkers"

[ June 20, 2003, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildZBill
Member # 5185

- posted      Profile for WildZBill   Email WildZBill         Edit/Delete Post 
Y'alls got some weird fixation. D'ya count the pees on yer plate too?
Posts: 37 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say that it appears that whole is acting as an infix (which is somewhat rare in English). I can see the change happening for a couple reasons:

1. You want to say something like "That's another thing," and your brains reaches for the word another first. Then it tacks on the adjective whole. In doing so, you don't totally break down the word another, because, for some reason, it doesn't feel like an + other. Somehow, it's easier to just break off the a.
2. Then there's the whole phonological thing. This one makes a lot of sense, because it really is easier to say than "whole other." I think it's just a matter of having two consecutive sounds produced on the alveolar ridge. The o in other is actually an open-mid back vowel, so I don't think it encourages a forward sound. Of course, I haven't taken my course in phonology yet, so this is all coming from an introduction to language class.

There doesn't seem to be a difference in meaning. It's just highly colloquial and should be edited out of everything but colloquial writing. Merriam-Webster says the word nother dates back to 1909. It doesn't seem to be a simple regional thing.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

The instances of pee on my plate have been, and I hope to remain, Zero.

Thanks for the pointer on the location of O, Jon. Are you the same Jon that beat me out for member # 5000?

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Yup. That's me.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tonguetied&twisted
Member # 5159

- posted      Profile for tonguetied&twisted   Email tonguetied&twisted         Edit/Delete Post 
Jon Boy:
quote:
You want to say something like "That's another thing," and your brains reaches for the word another first. Then it tacks on the adjective whole. In doing so, you don't totally break down the word another, because, for some reason, it doesn't feel like an + other. Somehow, it's easier to just break off the a.
Of course, I wouldn't dare criticize the English Master. [Razz] But personally, I wouldn't be saying something like, "That's whole nother thing." If by "break off the a" you meant, put "whole" between "a" and "nother", then I completely apologise. On my knees! Lol.
Posts: 1111 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.