FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » CAN ANYONE HELP ME?????????????

Author Topic: CAN ANYONE HELP ME?????????????
OniChan
Member # 4347

- posted      Profile for OniChan           Edit/Delete Post 
I need to read.... any good recomendations??? [Frown]

[ June 24, 2003, 07:25 AM: Message edited by: OniChan ]

Posts: 12 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
If you haven't read Neuromancer (William Gibson), that needs to be rectified post-haste. [Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
Read the assassin trilogy by Robin Hobb. Then the liveship traders trilogy, and finally the two parts of the tawny man trilogy which have come out so far. [Smile]
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
I think a new book came out this last weekend.

Seems I remember something about that in the news...

Seriously, I have begun reading the new book, and have enjoyed the first have that I've read so far.

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UTAH
Member # 5032

- posted      Profile for UTAH   Email UTAH         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends . . .
on what you like and what "good" means. It is obviously different for each person. Personally, I like anything written by Terry Brooks, the Harry Potter series, Jean Auel, Mary Stewart, Susan Cooper, and the list goes on. They are some of my favorites. Ah, but that's just me . . .

Posts: 277 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SirReal
Member # 5257

- posted      Profile for SirReal   Email SirReal         Edit/Delete Post 
Raymond E Feist's Magician series is a wonderful fantasy series. Gibson was already mentioned for Sci-Fi. For Classic Sci Fi try Larry Niven's "Ringworld" For a Fantasy/Horror trek try Clive Barkers "Weaveworld". And anything, of course, by our host, OSC.

Just a few,
Christopher

Posts: 172 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

- posted      Profile for RackhamsRazor   Email RackhamsRazor         Edit/Delete Post 
Besides OSC books, have you ever tried reading any of R.A Salvatore's books? I like a lot of his stories. I am reading the DemonWars series now (on the second book) and i really like it. It is more of a fantasy kind of book. I also started the Dark Elf Trilogy which is good as well. Hope that helps [Smile]
Posts: 306 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adeimantus
Member # 5219

- posted      Profile for Adeimantus   Email Adeimantus         Edit/Delete Post 
Lord of The Rings Trilogy and related works are possibly some of the best books I have ever read. Also definetly check out Garth Nix's "Sabriel" Trilogy. "In Cold Blood" is a good one as well, if your not looking for Sci/Fi Adventure. Its a good nonfiction. You might be surprised at Harry Potter if you tried them too. Didn't think i'd like em but there pretty good.
Posts: 107 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
enderwiggin0
Member # 5284

- posted      Profile for enderwiggin0           Edit/Delete Post 
And of course all of the Ender series and Shadow series...those are the best...
Posts: 3 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
read LOTR
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I read Dune and Dune Messiah last week. They were pretty interesting. Though I started Children of Dune, got about 80 pages in, and haven't really gotten up the steam to continue. Dune Messiah seemed really slow getting going as well, though I think by the ending I was as enchanted as I had been by the original. I think the problem with Children of Dune is that I haven't been able to empathize with any of the main characters so far.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tabithecat
Member # 5228

- posted      Profile for tabithecat   Email tabithecat         Edit/Delete Post 
HELLO Goerge R.R. Martin songs of fire and ice series. too good to be missed. 1st one is A Game of Thrones. you'll be hooked after that..

*mauh haw haw*

try it you'll like it

Posts: 122 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jexxster
Member # 5293

- posted      Profile for Jexxster   Email Jexxster         Edit/Delete Post 
I always through out a suggestion for folks to read some of Terry Brooks' work, especially the trilogy beginning with "Running with the Demon".

Also, have you read any of OSC's short stories? Some great reading there. I also concur with the poster who mentioned R.A. Salvatore. I have read The Dark Elf Trilogy, all the Demon Wars books (with the exception of the newest), The Icewind Dale Trilogy, The Cleric Quintet, The Chronicles of Ynis Aielle, and his Star Wars work. Choice stuff. Mike Stackpole is great too, especially Talion: Revenant.

Posts: 240 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
The Hyperion series by Dan Simmons. Fall of Hyperion is my favorite book in the world.

If you havn't read classic Scifi, you shoud do that, too. War of the Worlds comes to mind.

If you want some well-written nonfiction, I'd try The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene. It's about String Theory, and it's very, very well written.

If you don't want science or science fiction, try reading Empire Falls. It's a really good book with the most realistic characters I've ever read.

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Qrios
Member # 5259

- posted      Profile for Qrios   Email Qrios         Edit/Delete Post 
And Lois McMasters Bujold is great. She has a series following a guy called Miles Verkosigan, and several "stand alone" fantasy type books.
Posts: 39 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Micheal Crichton books [Smile]
Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bone
Member # 5277

- posted      Profile for bone   Email bone         Edit/Delete Post 
I just bought neuromancer and will read it soon. [Smile]

I also suggest American Gods by Neil Gaiman or the Song of FIre and Ice Saga by George R.R. Martin. A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, and Storm of Swords are the first three in that series.

Other good stand alone books are

Do Androids Dream of Eletronic Sheep?
Canticle for Leabawitz
The Stand by Stephan King
Count Zero (By William Gibson author or Neuromance)
Demon Haunted World (non fiction by Carl Sagan)

Posts: 134 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
Even though I've read most of the things mentioned here, I've gotta second the vote for A Song of Ice and Fire. Those are some very good books. Although I've read all of Salvatore's stuff as well, and I enjoy it. He is the man when it comes to fight scenes, IMHO.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for suntranafs   Email suntranafs         Edit/Delete Post 
DON"T LISTEN TO THESE FOOLS! THEY LEAD YOU ASTRAY!!!
[Big Grin] j/k but before you read anything else, read The Prydain Chronicles by Lloyd Alexander. The books are in this order:
The Book of Three
The Black Cauldron
The Castle of Lyr
Taran Wanderer
The High King

And there's also "The Foundling and Other Tales of Prydain"

Posts: 1103 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.