FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Difference between Shadow series, and alvin maker series

Author Topic: Difference between Shadow series, and alvin maker series
EnderWiggin2004
Member # 5366

- posted      Profile for EnderWiggin2004   Email EnderWiggin2004         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey All,
I have read allthe books in the neders series and all the books in the shadow series. I am about to read the Alvin maker series and I was wondering the difference between that series and Card's other two series I mentioned. Could someone please give me an idea of what the lavin maker tales are about and stuff like that. I'd really appreciate that. Thanks, bye... [Smile]

Posts: 11 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Differences?

Hmm. . . well, one is about a kid in space, the other's about a spaced-out kid. . .

One has red aliens, the other has alienating Reds. . . (Okay, I know the buggers weren't TECHNICALLY red. . .)

Read the series. You'll love it.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VenomsValentine
Member # 5359

- posted      Profile for VenomsValentine   Email VenomsValentine         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the Alvin Maker series is supposed to be the Joseph Smith story
Posts: 89 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EnderWiggin2004
Member # 5366

- posted      Profile for EnderWiggin2004   Email EnderWiggin2004         Edit/Delete Post 
What is the Joseph Smith story? Thanks
Posts: 11 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather Laurae
Member # 3796

- posted      Profile for Heather Laurae           Edit/Delete Post 
Crap, this is Geoff; Heather was signed in already [Smile] I'll go log out ...

[ July 05, 2003, 04:13 AM: Message edited by: Heather Laurae ]

Posts: 32 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoffrey Card
Member # 1062

- posted      Profile for Geoffrey Card   Email Geoffrey Card         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, now, under my REAL name ...

The Alvin Maker series is very LOOSELY based on the key points and ideals of the life of Joseph Smith, the foudner of Mormonism. If you've never heard of him, it won't impact your reading in the slightest.

Posts: 2048 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
<grin> I didn't know that it was based on Joseph Smith's life until a little over a year ago. [Embarrassed]

And if you are worried about religion in the book, don't, because the story line may be similar to Joseph Smith's life, but there is no God involved, he is not contacted by The Lord and there is only as much mention of Him as there is in any other book set in the early 1800s.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mialith2713
Member # 5246

- posted      Profile for Mialith2713   Email Mialith2713         Edit/Delete Post 
Completely different genres. Apples and oranges.
Posts: 45 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
The Alvin series has cooler characters. Or it will, at any rate. [Razz]
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoffrey Card
Member # 1062

- posted      Profile for Geoffrey Card   Email Geoffrey Card         Edit/Delete Post 
Ender, Papa Moose is just proud because he won an Orson Scott Card trivia contest that Orson Scott Card himself couldn't have won, and as a prize, got characters named after himself and his wife in the next Alvin book [Smile]

So, anyway. While the Speaker and Shadow series are both science fiction, the Alvin Maker books are set in a fantasy alternate reality. They take place in a frontier America where folk magic works, and has changed the course of human history. You won't see any spaceships or high-tech stuff. Otherwise, though, it's got all the common Card themes. Spectacular children outdoing adult expectations, the building of utopian communities, smart people mouthing off to powerful people and getting their way, etc. If you like Card in general, you should like Alvin just as much.

Posts: 2048 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mialith2713
Member # 5246

- posted      Profile for Mialith2713   Email Mialith2713         Edit/Delete Post 
I like a lot of the characters in AM series because they often are real people, and seeing new twists on history was very interesting, and not something a lot of people would have the guts to go and to, let alone do correctly. Many I know history professors thoroughly enjoyed the books.

p.s.
I'm still trying to figure out what the kanji in COTM are. Anyone know?

Posts: 45 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.