FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Which series now

Author Topic: Which series now
Lee M.
Member # 5203

- posted      Profile for Lee M.   Email Lee M.         Edit/Delete Post 
I have offically finished the ender series a lil while back...and I am done with HP 5 so which OSC series should I read..
_thanx

Posts: 69 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Try The Tales of Alvin Maker, which starts with Seventh Son.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Well there are only two options. There's Alvin Maker like Tom mentioned, which has the bonus of a new book coming out in November. There is also the Homecoming series that starts with Memory of Earth. I don't know which one you'd enjoy more since I don't know you that well; Alvin Maker tends to be more popular but that's all I can really go on.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lee M.
Member # 5203

Prolly my most fav. type books are Sci-fi...and OSC writes them...uhh ummm.....in the OSC I like space ships and intergalatic wars and stuff like that....does Homecoming have like space ships and intergaltic wars going on... Could someone tell me a lil' 'bout the 2 book series.
-Lee

Posts: 69 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Homecoming is based 40 million years in the future. The human race lives on a planet called Harmony, and haven't developed far beyond where we are now. There is still some cool technology stuff but it's not based on new technology. Homecoming is based on The Book of Mormon, but you don't have to know that to like or even understand the series.

Alvin Maker is based in the early 1800s, it is based (very loosly) on the life of Joseph Smith (the Mormon Prophet). Once again, you don't have to know this to get the book. Alvin is a seventh son of a seventh son and has some pretty extrodinary gifts (knacks, they're called). He must figure out what to do with this power and try and stay alive.

Both are very good stories and I'm hesitant to describe them much more deeply than this since I know I can't do justice. Check out the "OSC Library" link at the tope of the page to get a better review then what I can write.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lee M.
Member # 5203

I am gonna go with the Alvin Maker series
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
....I don't much like the Alvin series as much as the Homecoming series. At least in the Homecoming series, you get the ending. Alvin's life still remains unwritten. The Homecoming Series is by far the better series overall, but Seventh Son and Red Prophet are both awesome books.

Go with Homecoming if you're looking for a good series. The Alvin Series has some good books, but the better series is definitely Homecoming.

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lee M.
Member # 5203

I made a mistake I am reading now the Homcoming Series
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
A good choice. [Smile]
Alvin books are historical fiction/fantasy, not sci-fi. [Smile]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.