FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Crystal City, episode III

Author Topic: Crystal City, episode III
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Link for those interested.

For those who missed them, episode I and episode II.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
I am just curious as to why OSC is not posting these chapters here at the site, on the front page like he has done for other books in the past?

Mrs. Card or Ms. Janitor, any ideas?

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pwiscombe
Member # 181

- posted      Profile for pwiscombe   Email pwiscombe         Edit/Delete Post 
Spoiler warning....
A couple of lines that jumped out at me:
"But it wasn’t Margaret’s fault, for not telling him why she sent him here (Barcy)"

"It was disconcerting, how Arthur had learnt a way to keep Alvin from noticing his heartfire. Not that Alvin ever failed to find Arthur when he was looking for him. But it used to be Alvin always knew where Arthur Stuart was without even thinking, but ever since Arthur had figured out a bit of real makering – how to het up iron or soften it, which was no mean trick – it seemed he’d also figured out how to make Alvin not notice when he sort of drifted away and went off on his own. "

I might just be a little short on memory, but I can't seem to recall either of these events: Peggy sending Alvin to Barcy, or Arthur learing real makery.

Is this from Heartfire?

Posts: 258 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with you. I can't remember either ever happening. It may be a matter of one book picking up a little later than another left off, inasmuch as Alvin wasn't in Barcy at the end of the last book either.
Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
There's an in-between short story in which these events occur.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

By the way, you can read an interview with Card here where he mentions the story (entitled The Yazoo Queen). It comes out in Legends II.

Hobbes [Smile]

[ July 28, 2003, 10:56 PM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there anyway to translate the site into English?
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
There was also a story in Legends that happens between Heartfire and Crystal City. That one's called "The Grinning Man."

I think the main reason I love this series is the interaction between Alvin and Arthur. Alvin alone doesn't really interest me all that much, but he's much cooler when Arthur's around.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Go to www.altavista.com and click on "translate". It does a pretty bad job (since it's automated) but you can normally get the idea behind the words.

Hobbes [Smile]

Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
Manohman, I can't WAIT for Crystal City! It's starting off so very very good! *salivates in anticipation*
Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pwiscombe
Member # 181

- posted      Profile for pwiscombe   Email pwiscombe         Edit/Delete Post 
Not a real good babelfish translation... The Mormon church came out as the church of the Adventist of the Seventh Day.

Of course, that might be an editorial mistake as opposed to a translational one. I only trust the interview as far as it is translated correctly.

Posts: 258 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
accio
Member # 3040

- posted      Profile for accio   Email accio         Edit/Delete Post 
Part 4!!
http://www.rhinotimes.com/greensboro/story12.html
Congratulations, Papa Moose!!!
[Party]

Posts: 333 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Missus Fanta
Member # 5501

- posted      Profile for Missus Fanta           Edit/Delete Post 
The best site for translations is www.worldlingo.com.
Posts: 13 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
It's here! http://www.hatrack.com/osc/walkingonwater/part01.shtml
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anybody else notice any differences between the Rhino Times version and the one he posted on hatrack?

Spoiler warning

The version on Rhino Times didn't have any mention of the baby dying. I found this interesting because it is another parallel between Al and Joseph Smith. I wonder if this parallel was added only recently, or was only mentioned in that place recently.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's very weird if there are any differences. The two are posted from the exact same computer files.
Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heathers
Member # 5540

- posted      Profile for Heathers   Email Heathers         Edit/Delete Post 
Ummm. . .Maybe I'm just missing it, but I can't find any new chapters on the Rhino Times site. Was that all? I thought there were going to be 14 parts?

Can anyone clue me in?

Thanks

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Only 4 parts at RhinoTimes; 14 parts are here at Hatrack. The parts are longer, too. Part 1 and part 2 have shown up here so far, and cover parts 1 through 4 from RhinoTimes.

Welcome to Hatrack!

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heathers
Member # 5540

- posted      Profile for Heathers   Email Heathers         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh. So I have to wait until Hatrack catches up? Which I guess it has now. So in a few days, I'll get to read more.

Thanks!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.