FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Snow Crash

Author Topic: Snow Crash
Eiskalte
Member # 5438

- posted      Profile for Eiskalte   Email Eiskalte         Edit/Delete Post 
its not ORC, but its as close to a literary forum as i found so i'll post it here

Snow Crash is a great book, writen in a cyberpunk style, but its different. Kinda Neuromancerish...

What intrests me most is the theory on summerian brain-hacking. Does anyone have any indication of truth in this?

Posts: 13 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
filetted
Member # 5048

- posted      Profile for filetted   Email filetted         Edit/Delete Post 
This guy can write.

A little rough around the edges, but everytime I visit the bookstore, he's first on my list for a new arrival.

Hella-smart, hella-relevant, and exciting and thought-provoking to boot.

Wish Gibson had kept up with his art. Has anyone read this "pattern recognition"? Good?

[ August 01, 2003, 03:30 AM: Message edited by: filetted ]

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stradling
Member # 1182

- posted      Profile for Stradling   Email Stradling         Edit/Delete Post 
Snow Crash is sort of fun, but the Nam-Shub of Enki encoded in binary in such a way that technically trained people recognize it by instantly processing a frame of static... well... it makes me snort.

Snow Crash isn't nuthin' compared to Diamond Age, though, where one has to believe a lot more hokey-science stuff. Nano is better treated by Brin (Earth) and Bear (Moving Mars). Less over-the-edge foolishness. The technologies in Diamond would have killed the society long before the story he's telling could be relevant. It's like Star Trek - too many do-it-yourself godlike powers.

Nevertheless, both are great fun. I like Diamond better - I've reread it, whereas I was content to set Snow aside after one run. The skater girl from Snow turns up as an old nanny in Diamond. Look for the phrase Chiseled Spam.

Other than that, Stephenson's books are quite impressive. I wish Cryptonomicon were less rife with various expletives, but what a clever book. Lacks the wild-speculative flaws of his other two biggies.

Alden

Posts: 90 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eiskalte
Member # 5438

- posted      Profile for Eiskalte   Email Eiskalte         Edit/Delete Post 
Snow Crash is the only one of his books that i've read....what would you guys recomend for a second from him?
Posts: 13 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
Cryptonomicon , of course.
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I second that Fitz.
It's one helluva book, impossible to pigeonhole.

I enjoyed Diamond age, but I just thought it was pretty good, very readable but no classic.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

- posted      Profile for graywolfe   Email graywolfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Crypto..., I've read it twice and loved it twice. Has he written anything since?
Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
filetted
Member # 5048

- posted      Profile for filetted   Email filetted         Edit/Delete Post 
Crypto was best. The historical stuff was engaging.

Snow was fluffy and Diamond was a bit out-there in parts.

Still, the guy's crossed all 3 of those with no fixed boundaries. Dreamy visions of over-the-top extrapolations of the modern, revisitations of a glorious/murky and mysterious past filled with intriguing intelligentsia, and a street-kid authenticity flare that surpasses Gibson (even in it's low dimensionality).

I like 'em all, rough and full of nonsense fun bits.

flish

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.