FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Treason - possible flaw?

Author Topic: Treason - possible flaw?
Túrin
Member # 2704

- posted      Profile for Túrin   Email Túrin         Edit/Delete Post 
I just read Treason, and (spoilers follow, so get out now if you haven't read it yet) realized something: we find out near the end that Lanik actually killed the Illuder known to him as Dinte much earlier, but he hadn't realized it, thinking, since as far as he knew at the time, Dinte was his brother and a Mueller, that Dinte would regenerate from having his throat slit.

Except Dinte was an Illuder from Anderson and died right there. Okay, neat plot twist, and yeah, I didn't put 2 and 2 together until then either (of course I don't try to predict books, if I figure clever stuff out like that ahead of time, I'm impressed with my cleverness for a time but the disappointment at missing the "A ha!" surprise moment is far greater).

My problem is this: when Lanik kills Dinte, he had already been to Schwartz. Later, when he kills, whether by using the earth, or by his own hand, he hears the scream of the earth at the blood he sheds, right? And it's the worst thing in the world, right?

So how come he didn't know right away that Dinte was dead? Did the earth not notice that a man was dead? Why didn't it scream for him, as it screamed for the others? How can Lanik have been surprised later that he killed Dinte?

Túrin

Posts: 49 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Borommakot
Member # 2160

- posted      Profile for Borommakot   Email Borommakot         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that the fact that Lanik didn't know @ the time that Dinte died might be the reason why he didn't feel the pain of the world plus when he destroyed the island with the Andersons it was a huge amount of death and the earth was the one that killed all of them while with the battle wound he actually killed him himself not using the power of the Schwartz so he really wasn't misusing the power of the Schwartz as he did with the island. Just my opinion.

Your Friend,

Borommakot

Posts: 22 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.