FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Help on finding certain books -- CalvinMaker?

Author Topic: Help on finding certain books -- CalvinMaker?
cyruseh
Member # 1120

- posted      Profile for cyruseh   Email cyruseh         Edit/Delete Post 
CalvinMaker and anyone else who might have some hints. I am looking for anything written by OSC that has been published in Romanian. According to numerous "abouts" about OSC, he has been published in Romanian, but it has been extremely hard for me to even find a reference to a specific book that has been published, let alone finding one that I might be able to buy.

If anyone has any hints or advice, it would be greatly apprecieated! [Hail]

Posts: 879 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cyruseh
Member # 1120

After looking through OSC bibliography on this page, it appears that the only book that has been published in Romanian, is Enders Game. So that is what I have been looking for. Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Posts: 879 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll try and find it.
Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a few romanian bookstores I found, but I need to know the name of Ender's Game in Romanian in order to search for it on their sites.
Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Can you search by author on those sites? I'd assume his name is the same in Romanian....
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

I had tried that. It didn't work.
Don Driscoll
Member # 4488

- posted      Profile for Don Driscoll   Email Don Driscoll         Edit/Delete Post 
I have Romanian copies of Speaker and Xenocide, which I got in Romania. I have not been able to find a copy of Ender's Game, which is the one I want most dearly since I don't know Romanian that well and could actually read it without understanding the Romanian [Smile] .

My wife is Romanian and we got those on our Honeymoon in '95. The Romanian publisher is Nemira and I haven't had time to try to track down a back copy of Ender. If you can find one, could you try to find two???

-Don

Posts: 108 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Driscoll
Member # 4488

- posted      Profile for Don Driscoll   Email Don Driscoll         Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, the titles in Romanian are something like: Joc lui Ender, Vorbitor de Mor?ii, and Xenocide. I'm at work/school now so I can't check the books themselves and my wife isn't around to tell me how bad my Romanian is...

Don

Posts: 108 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Driscoll
Member # 4488

Also, happy third Hatrack Anniversary to a fellow Ohioan!
cyruseh
Member # 1120

wow, thanks. I didnt realize that it was the third year. I was in romania recently, and met someone there that I thought might want to read some of OSC's stuff. Unfortunately, I did not get a chance to visit very many book stores while I was there, and any that I did, did not have a very wide selection. So now, I must try the hard way. I know that it could cost a ton to ship a book to romania, but a friend of mine is going over in November, and could carry any books over for me. But thanks for the hints... I continue to look.
cyruseh
Member # 1120

Man, its too hard to read that Nemira website! considering i hardly know any romanian at all. hmm. But it doesnt look like they have back orders of the books [Frown]
cyruseh
Member # 1120

Here is some new information, which Don might have already said:

1986 - Orson Scott Card - "Ender's Game" ("Jocul lui Ender", Ed. Nemira)
1987 - Orson Scott Card - "Speaker for the Dead" ("Vorbitor in Numele Mortilor", Ed. Nemira)

Don Driscoll
Member # 4488

Yeah, I had the same experience. I have been back to Romania twice since then and haven't had any luck either. Once a print run is done, that seems to be it. We didn't have time to search any Magazine de Anticariat (my made-up word for antique store - now that I look at it, I think that might be a toothpaste store) to see if they had any books, but that didn't seem likely anyhow.

If I can be nosy, why on earth were you in Romania? I know why I went [Smile] , but not knowing Romanian, you must have been there on a Mission or something.

Don

Don Driscoll
Member # 4488

<embarassed not to remember the real titles/real Romanian> [Blushing]
cyruseh
Member # 1120

I know some families that live in Bosca, which is outside of Resita, I'm sure I am spelling these names wrong. But we did a week long youth camp outside of Bosca, and I got to know some of the people there really well. I guess you could say that it was mission work. But I believe I learned much more from them, then they could ever learn from me.
cyruseh
Member # 1120

man, why cant i just find it on ebay???? [Mad]

[Smile]

And I am assuming you went to romania to find a wife? [Big Grin]

Don Driscoll
Member # 4488

Actually, she found me here. We went to college together. I was figuring that the person these books were intended for was someone you were trying to impress...

I don't know where Bosca is. What's the nearest big city?

cyruseh
Member # 1120

Oh, well, the books are for a Romanian, yes. As a gift. This is, if I am able to find any of them. She loves to read, and we talk through email about what books we are reading. Right now, she works in Germany, as a house maid, and from the time she gets off, around 7:00 at night, until 11:00 when she finally goes to sleep, she has nothing to do except to read. So I was thinking about helping her out by giving her something "good" to read.

Bosca is about 30 minutes from Resita, and about 1 and 1/2 hours from timisoara. I was in timisoara for a day, but we did not have much time to look around. In fact, I was not aware that OSC had been published in Romanian.

Don Driscoll
Member # 4488

I haven't been down that way. Mostly Oradea, where Buni (my wife's grandmother) lives, Sibiu (where Diana is from), Cluj, and a handful of other small towns that you probably haven't heard of. I haven't done a lot of "touristy" things in Romanian, mostly visiting family. We did go to "Dracula's" castle. I have some pictures on my homepage from our honeymoon in '95. We have tons of pictures from the two times we went with my daughter, but I haven't had a lot of time for scanning pictures in any organized way, especially since my son was born (and I'm trying to finish my Ph.D. thesis). They are mostly of family, anyhow.
cyruseh
Member # 1120

I have heard of Oradea. But those others, no. We were going to check out dracula's castle, but it was too far of a drive. Instead we went to herculane, and the danube river.

Let me see if I have this right though. You have ONE xenocide, and ONE speaker for the dead? [Big Grin]

hehe. I suppose that if I cannot find the romanian ones, I can give her english ones, but it is harder for her to read english, of course.

I plan to go back next summer. Also, I was daydreaming about having Miha, the girl that we have been talking about, come over to the US, this winter. Do you have any advice as far as getting a visitors visa for a romanian? I believe it can be almost impossible for a young person to come over.

Don Driscoll
Member # 4488

If she is in Germany, you might try to find German versions if they are easier for her. English versions would be good practice, though, for when she comes here...

My in-laws (who are here) have done all of the forms for bringing Buni over. I'm not sure what things are like in today's political climate. It will especially hard to do if she is a Romanian citizen living in Germany. This was the route my wife took to emigrate here, and she was in a refugee camp in Germany for 2.5 years. This wasn't visiting, of course.

How old is she? Would she consider come to school here?

cyruseh
Member # 1120

Well, She hardly knows any German. Her employer speaks English with her to make things easier. Techniclly, Im not sure if she is supposed to be working in Germany, only going to school there. But she works so her younger siblings can go to college in bucharest.

What would be my ideal, is having her come over some time in January, to spend a week or two over here. Mainly so that she could see America, and so I could get to know her in America. It was hard for me to get to know her in such a foreign country. The problem is, the embassy which grants visas will have a hard time believing that she will return after her visa is up.

cyruseh
Member # 1120

I've actually considered asking for a visa, with the intent to get married. Those visa last 3 months, and then you must apply for a knew one. So she could get the visa, come over here, and then after two weeks just go back. Then if we were really serious, the marriage would be in Romania, so she would not have to go through the hassle of applying for another visa, with intent to get married, since she already would be. [Big Grin]
Don Driscoll
Member # 4488

Hmm... quite a poser. Immigration law is out of my league, I'm afraid. Almost certainly she is not supposed to be working in Germany. I think the easiest solution would be for her to go to school here. I don't know what the details of that would be. She may not want to be so far away from her family for so long, although see would if she came here.

I think I'm going to go back and work on something easy like my thesis. Your life is too messy. My wife did all of the hard work before I met her...

Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
There are several things she could show to prove that she wants to stay in Romania. Since she doesn't have her own apartment, this does actually make it harder. But personal afidavits from people are accepted, I think. Young single people are harder to get over her for a visit. Try ins.gov. They have info on this.
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.