FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » what OSC novels have you read? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: what OSC novels have you read?
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Without a good vantage point, you won't be able to see the action properly.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom:

It's good to know what you can stomach.

For example, I can't stomach the violence in GRRM's Song of Ice and Fire. It detracts from my general enjoyment of life. So I probably won't be buying the next book, alas. (It was a brilliant story...)

That's not a position so much as a reaction. I know my limits; I know that I feel better when I stay within them.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mommy1
Member # 12348

- posted      Profile for mommy1           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok just one question. Have any of you heard of a thing called a LIBRARY. I love OSC books but I also love any time travel books or other science fiction. I am older than the rest of you by a long ways I think cause I love Heinlein and Asimov too. I also read biographies and autobiographies. You can't own everything that is what the LIBRARY is for. Try it sometime.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am older than the rest of you by a long ways I think cause I love Heinlein and Asimov too.
I'm not a fan of Asimov's novels, but his short stories are brilliant.

I'm going to call you on this-- I'm 35. I bet you're only a little bit older than me.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mommy1:
Ok just one question. Have any of you heard of a thing called a LIBRARY. I love OSC books but I also love any time travel books or other science fiction. I am older than the rest of you by a long ways I think cause I love Heinlein and Asimov too. I also read biographies and autobiographies. You can't own everything that is what the LIBRARY is for. Try it sometime.

I'm curious - what prompted this?
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Random stupid trolling, I'd imagine.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mishagam
Member # 8151

- posted      Profile for mishagam   Email mishagam         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, OSC is VERY sensitive to sex or bad words in movies in his reviews. He usually notices them where I would just don't see them (and anyway wouldn't pay attention) - in completely average films.

I wrote this post because level of violence in these books is exceptional - Genocide of few races or being professional killer - and is performed by children. You don't usually see this in other books, at the least I don't see it too often.

I think if you can object to sex in movies you can object to violence in books. I don't consider myself too sensitive.

Posts: 4 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
If OSC erver watched Deadwood, the world would explode.
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merrlin
Member # 12367

- posted      Profile for Merrlin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In first three books I noticed VERY HIGH level of violence, performed by children in two of these books. It is not so usual in other books I read. I would be interested how Orson Card can explain his position on violence in books here.
At the end of the 20th Anniversary Edition of the Ender's Game audiobook by Audio Renaissance there is a long afterward by OSC. The whole afterward is just him talking about the book and his experiences with it over the years. He directly addresses the issue of violence. It is well worth $20 to buy the mp3.

The better question though is, did you find the first two killings by Ender more shocking than the thousands of pilots and billions of aliens that he killed? If so, might than not have been the point? A major theme in the later books was that every single life he took weighed on him equally. Without those deaths, the later soul searching would have lost its depth and, for me, would have lost its impact.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

- posted      Profile for Mr. Y   Email Mr. Y         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read:

Ender's Game
Speaker For The Dead
Xenocide
Children Of The Mind
A War Of Gifts
Ender In Exile
Ender's Shadow

Seventh Son
Red Prophet
Prentice Alvin
Alvin Journeyman
Heartfire
The Crystal City

The Memory Of Earth

Wyrms

Posts: 1100 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GentleGiant
Member # 12377

- posted      Profile for GentleGiant           Edit/Delete Post 
I own about 75% of the books OSC has had published, and if i see one I dont have I tend to buy it.
I had 4500 books last time I counted, on a variety of subjects; a biography of Stalin anyone??

Why is having read Capitol a big plus?? I have two copies I think.

I have stopped lending out my copies of the Short story selection entitled Enders Game; people just will not give them back; lost about 4 so far.

Posts: 19 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.