FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » OSC Interview

Author Topic: OSC Interview
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay -- how many of you listened to that .mp3 of Orson Scott Card's interview on Sci-Fi Overdrive?

What do you think about all he said about how much the story will be changed for the film version? I don't see how they can leave out Peter -- even in Battle School, he is an integral part of that computer game that Ender plays -- and a big part of the history of who he is.

Sounds like the film version will be a LOT different than the book.

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I listened to it. And while Peter is a profound influence on his life and character, he's not crucial to the computer game, except for that influence. Thus if the story is written so someone else has that influence, Peter becomes far less necessary. Also, the original short story didn't even have Peter and Valentine, so the story can be written without them -- it's just not exactly the same story. (He did say there was more backstory in the movie than in the short story, though, which I like.)

As Card said, there's a limit to what can be done, and however it's done it's probably going to upset someone. The money providers want such-and-such, the director will want such-and-such, the fans of the novel want such-and-such, etc. I'm going to see the movie, I'm going to love the movie, and if it's a totally different swing on a story I already knew, then I've enjoyed two stories instead of one (well, with the Ender's Shadow portions, three instead of two I guess).

I'm not worried.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Good points there, Papa

Oh, I plan to definately see it and love it (the movie) when it gets done.

I will just have to mentally tell myself to love it for what it is, and NOT try to compare it to the book (like I did with LOTR)!

Just wanted to hear others' input on the interview.

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

- posted      Profile for wieczorek   Email wieczorek         Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl, sorry if the answer to this question is indubitable, but it's not to me!! [Big Grin] Where did you find the interview on the net? Can I please have the website address? I'm one of those people who, no matter how I try, can't find the right words to type in on a search engine to get any worth-while results. Believe me, I tried!! Thanks.
[Smile]

"Remember, the enemy's gate is down"

Posts: 667 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morgaine
Member # 4691

- posted      Profile for Morgaine   Email Morgaine         Edit/Delete Post 
wieczorek - Orson Scott Card Interview - Mp3 (requires Windows Media Player)
Posts: 66 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

wieczorek
At the link Morgaine gave you -- download hour 2 and fast-forward to about the 35 minute mark to hear where OSC starts.
Farmgirl

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.