FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Mistake in First Meetings

Author Topic: Mistake in First Meetings
Jill
Member # 3376

- posted      Profile for Jill   Email Jill         Edit/Delete Post 
I just realized-- Ender just turned twenty in "Investment Counselor", but Ender is twenty-three (at least, Valentine is twenty-five and she is two years older than Ender) at the end of "Ender's Game" (the novel). How do I let OSC know about this?
Posts: 274 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gottmorder
Member # 5039

- posted      Profile for Gottmorder   Email Gottmorder         Edit/Delete Post 
That's not the only error.

The biggest one I've noticed so far is that when Ender began to battle 'harder' armies, his first opponent was Salamander Army commanded by Bonzo.

In First Meetings, it's Leopard Army commanded by Pol Slattery.

Now, I know I shouldn't complain, but...what the hell!? [Dont Know]

That battle in Ender's Game was one that really fueled Bonzo's hate for Ender. Plus, at the end, Ender's reaction was not the same as it was in EG, ie he didn't go ballistic on Aderson.

EDIT: Something to add. Just about all of the battles after that have been screwed up! [Wall Bash] [Dont Know]

SECONDARY EDIT: You know, I should really read the summaries on the inside cover flaps more often. [Embarrassed]

[ September 13, 2003, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: Gottmorder ]

Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
He already knows, Jill.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I understood the errors in Ender's Game the short story because it was written before the novel. Ender was essentially a different character by the time he showed up in novel form and I could see that many changes had to be made because of that and other things. [Smile] That's why it's especially fun to read them both and see what OSC decided to change.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, if we're going to get into the differences between the novella and novel of Ender's Game, I'd say the s at the end of Wiggin would be the most notable.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Write all the corrections on a piece of paper, tie it to a brick and then when wieczorek is driving slowly by his house at night with the headlights turned off, toss it into his living room by way of a conveniently located window.

This way OSC knows you cared enough to bring them to his home, without actually disrupting the day to day living of the Card family.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
The reason OSC already knows is that I used Ralphie's method. It really works. Ralphie always knows the best way.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

- posted      Profile for wieczorek   Email wieczorek         Edit/Delete Post 
I still don't have a set date for that drive-by-brick-throwing thing...hmmm...but until then, hail the Almighty OSC [Hail] !!
I also think it's interesting to see what OSC decided to change from the EG short story to the novel. In the short story when Dragon is fighting the two armies at once, (Carn Carby and William Bee, I think??) it says that Carn realizes what Ender is doing the for a good part of the time. But in the novel it says that Dragon's victory was a surprise. I think the change was a wise one, if done purposefully - it adds to the sense of Ender's untouchability (is that a word??) and prestige.
[Smile]

"Remember, the enemy's gate is down"

Posts: 667 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.