FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Question about Shadow Puppets

Author Topic: Question about Shadow Puppets
unohoo
Member # 5490

- posted      Profile for unohoo   Email unohoo         Edit/Delete Post 
I have just finished Shadow of the Hegemon and was reading reviews of Shadow Puppets and was turned off reading this book. I liked Shadow of the Hegemon, but did find it drifting into preachiness which I found myself skipping over, but as it wasn't predominent in the book, I didn't consider it a great problem. The reviews of Shadow Puppets lead me to believe that there is a lot of redundancy from Hegemon and a lot of preaching. I know that if this is the case, I'll probably gong the book and not want to continue reading the series.

TIA for your replies. [Smile]

Posts: 168 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I loved it, but I'd say you probably ought to gong it. With the frame of mind that you have, you probably would be able to enjoy the book. And what would be the point if you don't enjoy it?

But to balance that, the great parts of the book show us a lot more of Peter and his parents. For me, it could have been a mediocre book and I still would have enjoyed it for what I learned of them.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unohoo
Member # 5490

Thanks for the advice. I take it that as you are advising my not bothering to read it that it does get quite preachy and it is redundant.

BTW, one of the problems that I have with the entire Ender series is the way Peter is marginalized. I don't think he was treated fairly, especially as he grew and changed. Granted, I did a major eeew when Ender's Game described his behavior with Valentine and how he was cruel to animals. But he did change, and still there was a general refusal to look at him as other than a monster. He was certainly marked quite badly by his reputation.

And yet, of them all, he seems to have had the greatest transformation and growth, surprisingly so as it seems that his parents had nothing to do with it. Based on the tiny bit of interaction that we saw of Peter and his parents in Shadow of the Hegemon, I'm not at all surprised or dismayed by Peter's near contempt of his parents. I mean, it wasn't like he was getting any overt support or love from them other than they tolerated him in their midst.

Posts: 168 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I take it that as you are advising my not bothering to read it that it does get quite preachy and it is redundant.
Let me clarify. First, I don't find it redundant. Second, I didn't find any of the books preachy. But that's probably because the main characters weren't espousing anything that doesn't mesh with my own world view.

quote:

BTW, one of the problems that I have with the entire Ender series is the way Peter is marginalized. I don't think he was treated fairly, especially as he grew and changed.

In that case, I highly recommend that you read this latest book. We get to see Peter as much more a person, and one that is growing. You also get to see Peter's parents helping him do that.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unohoo
Member # 5490

Thanks again, you've changed my mind. I'll check it out in my local library this week.

I'm so glad that Peter finally comes to the foreground, and as a person, not a monster.

Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Did you get to read it? I hope so, I'd love to hear what you thought of it.

I really enjoyed this book because of Peter and the fact that he finally gets some smackdown. Yet, he's still brilliant and necessary to help unite the world. He just grows up a bit and we get to know him better.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.