FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » new user/ semi new fan

Author Topic: new user/ semi new fan
hatrack_yan
Member # 5806

- posted      Profile for hatrack_yan   Email hatrack_yan         Edit/Delete Post 
hello, im new in this place. i feel you all have me at a disadvantage, as i have never met orson scott card and have only read 9 or ten of his books. i have thouroughly enjoyed all that i have read but i have not been reading his works for very long.
[Wave]

Posts: 13 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
Only nine or ten? [Smile]
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hatrack_yan
Member # 5806

- posted      Profile for hatrack_yan   Email hatrack_yan         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah i know its not really enough to call me a die hard fan, but im working on reading more. my next is wyrms. ever read it?
Posts: 13 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hatrack_yan
Member # 5806

oh i misunderstood the question. i took it for a joking insult, but if your asking 9 or 10. then i think its 9 but i could be missing a short story or so
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, neither. I was jokingly implying that nine or ten is actually more than you've made it out to be.

No, I haven't read Wyrms, sorry.

Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hatrack_yan
Member # 5806

thank you.
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you read Treason or Lovelock? Those are my favorites aside from the Ender series.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Wyrms is a great book. If you liked Homecoming or Speaker for the Dead, you will most likely like Wymrs. The ending is one of the most gripping out of all of OSC's books.
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hatrack_yan
Member # 5806

cool thanks but no i havent read treason or lovelock
Schwartz-3000
Member # 5808

- posted      Profile for Schwartz-3000   Email Schwartz-3000         Edit/Delete Post 
I just read "treason" and its one of my favorites!
Has it reminded anyone else of "gulivers travels" by Jonathan Swift? the way lanik is bounced around all these strange places with different costumes and abilities etc...
I also noticed a lot of things about it apear in later books. for example: The scwartz ability to cure people reminds me a lot of Alvin Millers power to cure (the healing from the inside out)

Posts: 1 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
Slightly off topic but I've noticed that when most people join hatrack they make a post introducing themselves and making a point of the fact that they are new. I just kind of jumped into a dozen conversations and pretended I fit in. I think I've posted enough now that I don't startle people, but not enough that anyone actually knows who I am. [Wink]
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, member #5580, back in your cage!
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Jon Boy, newbies have boxes. Tsk!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
[Dont Know]
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roxy
Member # 3416

- posted      Profile for roxy   Email roxy         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never read Treason, so I couldn't tell ya on that one. I was a crazy newbie once, too. I think we all go through that 'phase', don't we? [Smile]
Posts: 358 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

Yes roxy, we all do. Just don't take anybody seriously for your first week or so. I got it a big altercation by doing that my first week with this screen name last year. [Wall Bash]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelbar Spin
Member # 5791

- posted      Profile for Pelbar Spin   Email Pelbar Spin         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't care for Wyrms as much as I do most everything else OSC writes. Don't get me wrong, Wyrms had an excellent storyline and was gripping, but I feel it was maybe a bit too graphic, sexually. I enjoy OSC because of his display of morals in almost everything he writes. His books aren't filled with foul language, and numerous sexual encounters. I wouldn't be embarrassed to see my kids reading an OSC book. I would reccomend almost all OSC books to my grandmother, but probably not Wyrms.
Posts: 15 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Number 4859, be quiet and get back in your cage.

Sheesh! Uppity newbies.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

Do you have the right to spew commands Jon Boy?

[Big Grin]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, Nick, he just likes to think he does. It's all those user names. They make him feel powerful or something.

#4284 (et al) [Taunt]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spew the dew
Member # 2217

- posted      Profile for spew the dew   Email spew the dew         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! I have all of you (except Jeni) beat! Get back in your boxes! I command you!

RRR

Posts: 28 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
[Confused]
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
No one comes close.

[Taunt]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Awwww.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

That's OK RRR, I wont make you go to your cage. [Big Grin] [Wink] [Kiss]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hazen
Member # 161

- posted      Profile for Hazen   Email Hazen         Edit/Delete Post 
#433, you may have been let out of the box, the cage, the dungeon, the prison, the jail, and are no longer under house arrest, but you are still on probation.

<Sincerely hopes that number of posts/continuous participation are not taken into account> [Smile]

Posts: 285 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Hey Hazen, good to see you around! [Wave]

*Looks around*

I have the highest post count in this thread, don't I? Interesting....

[Wink] [Big Grin] [Cool]

Hobbes [Smile]

[ October 16, 2003, 12:57 AM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Nick
Member # 4311

I have at least half the posts you do Hobbes....

That counts for something....
[Wink] [Smile]

Hobbes
Member # 433

It counts for exactly half of something.

[Wink] [Big Grin] [Wave]

Hobbes [Smile]

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

[Taunt]

[Smile]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hatrack_yan
Member # 5806

so i finished wyrms. it was good.
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
Read the Worthing Saga next if you haven't already. Definitely good. I assume you already read the EG series and its parallel series...
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaxonn
Member # 5163

- posted      Profile for Jaxonn   Email Jaxonn         Edit/Delete Post 
yan- I haven't yet read Wyrms or the Worthing Saga, but one of my favorites is Pastwatch. Haven't really seen any comments on this one. Just wondering what everyone else thought of it.
Jaxonn

Posts: 55 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
The book is awesome, but the screenplay is even better [Smile]
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Pastwatch. I admit, though, it was kind of difficult for me at first. Not sure why, but once I saw where the story was going, I loved it. Incroidable.

I don't even want to see my posting/participation numbers. I can never think of anything to post, and when I do, my posts always kill the thread.

I'm a wicked, monstrous, newbie thread-killer. [Evil Laugh] I bite when provoked, and it takes more than five full-grown men to get me back into my box.

Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetchik
Member # 3609

- posted      Profile for Wetchik   Email Wetchik         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm a wicked, monstrous, newbie thread-killer. I bite when provoked, and it takes more than five full-grown men to get me back into my box.
*puts FoolishTook back in box by myself*

[Wave] [Wink] [Taunt]

Posts: 354 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
*puts FoolishTook back in box by myself*
Dream on, little one. [Evil]
Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetchik
Member # 3609

- posted      Profile for Wetchik   Email Wetchik         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Dream on, little one. [Evil]
'scuse me?

[No No] [Wink]

Posts: 354 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I read Pastwatch...the first half was boring, but I liked it as a whole. I especially liked the ending.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.