FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Is Jane the Fountain of Youth? **Spoilers*

Author Topic: Is Jane the Fountain of Youth? **Spoilers*
LockeTreaty
Member # 5627

- posted      Profile for LockeTreaty   Email LockeTreaty         Edit/Delete Post 
This is something that struck me while rereading Xenocide today. If by traveling to the outside can't anyone and everyone create for themselves a younger body, and then like Miro switch to the newer version. Its not as if the aiua will ever die off. People could continue to create new bodies for themselves periodically and live forever, correct. The idea has some possibilities, especially since Jane can recreate her own body periodically, insuring the continuation of the process forever. The only way Jane could really die would be if her Val body, the Mother trees, the Hive Queen, and the ansible connections ceased to exist. Old age and slow acting diseases would no longer have to be a problem, which would make the death rate practically zero. Does anyone have any evidence that would disprove this theory, based in the fictionial world displayed in the Enderverse series?

[ October 22, 2003, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: LockeTreaty ]

Posts: 129 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wiggin
Member # 5020

- posted      Profile for The Wiggin           Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing I can come up with is that Miro doesn't move his Aiua conchisly. It is that his undamaged body is wht he thinks of as his "true" body not the one he's in. Thus if it where possiable Jane/Val is the only one who could willingly hop bodys but, since she helps Peter/Ender move his aiua tohis Peter body she might beable to give her close freinds a form of immoirtality. But thats just what I think let see what others say.
Posts: 397 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
*cough* Spoiler warnings are probably appropriate. [Wave]

Miro saw an undamaged body, not an unaged one. I guess if you truely thought your body was younger then you would get a younger body. Which suggests that this is a pretty dangerous method of travel. People with poor self image would end up with the bodies they always dreaded having.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LockeTreaty
Member # 5627

- posted      Profile for LockeTreaty   Email LockeTreaty         Edit/Delete Post 
My point exactly Hobbes, except for the part about the dreaded self-image theory. If a person so desires a younger self, then by the simple means of instaneous star flight ther auia's desires for a younger body would be granted by unlimited number of aiuas that exist Outside. Due to Jane being able to create more bodies for herself, isn't it possible that no one would die, except by murder, car-accidents, etc.,and that the populations of sentinent beings would exponential increase until the carrying capacity of the universe was reached? Of course, if Jane can do as Lauro and Grego theorized, create a whoe new universe, then there would be no carrying capacity to reach. Everthing is contingent on Jane's ability to transport things Outside and back. What would happen if in the book that will join the Shadow series and the Speaker series for one reason or another Jane lost her ability to take things Outside? Its the same question brought up in Speaker for the Dead , if one was to learn of things that seemed to them to be miracles, what would they do if those miracles were stripped from them in an instant?
The idea intrigues me mostly because so many things that would be possible because of the ability to create anything Outside would be eliminated, especially since those things could very well bring about the end of time. I doubt Jane would purposely enact the doom of life, but Jane can be tricked as easily as anyone. Someone could trick Jane into taking them Outside long enough for them to create something, and then she would bring them back with their little "toy." The "toy" could be anything, and the consquences are unlimited. Well, anyways those were just a few thoughts I had whie rereading Xenocide yesterday and COTM today. Enjoy yourselves. [Smile]

Posts: 129 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wieczorek
Member # 5565

- posted      Profile for wieczorek   Email wieczorek         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The only thing I can come up with is that Miro doesn't move his Aiua conchisly
When Ender asked him about it, I thought Miro said that he had been planning out the idea in his head for awhile... well, then again, that doesn't mean he was thinking about it - he might've left it to Jane. [Confused]
Posts: 667 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.