FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » The Card Universe (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Card Universe
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
The seperation of people into fluid groups of 'good' and 'bad.' (Emelaki/Nafai; raman/varelse)
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ulyadd
Member # 5957

- posted      Profile for ulyadd   Email ulyadd         Edit/Delete Post 
men who do well in terms of monetary means but think they stand alone like a stone, and without love
(Ender, Quentin Fears, Don Lark)

Posts: 5 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I just read Wyrms for the first time yesterday. I noticed some similarity between it and Enders Game because in both an older alien species is destroyed... but not utterly, the memory of them is still there.

But if in the story it comes down to the familiar vs. the foreign genetic material the foreign is what gets destroyed. There is a lot more agonizing over it in xenocide but a lot of the same ideas are in Wyrms. I don't know if it is truly the "terrible choice" idea or not though.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
What about the whole really smart computer programs thing? (EG, Homecoming, that's all that I've read that I've noticed it in) Does two things constitute a pattern?
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
So why is it, then, that OSC denies working with Theme in his interviews? It seems there are obviously themes he works with whether or not he "intends" them to be there. And I wonder if he ever looks at his work and purposely tries to write something different, outside of the theme, just for practice/fun?
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
I think that the Underlying Theme in Cards books is the LDS conception of the afterlife. After all it draws on the fact that if our souls are Auias(sp?) then they are just as eternal as any God could be, so if we gain sufficient wisdom and power (Jane, Alvin) we get to be a little God and create a universe in our image.

This is the Heresy that throws the rest of the religious and Christian world into fits over the Mormons. However it is something that has become more and more mainstream in acceptance.

It is a doctrine of heaven that makes sense. After all for generations it has been popular to speak of creating ones own hell, why not ones own heaven?

I think this concept bridges the gap between fantasy and sience fiction through the gateway of the uncertainty principle and the fact that the observer acts on the observed. No author since Roger Zealazney has done it as well.

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Poseidon
Member # 5862

- posted      Profile for Poseidon   Email Poseidon         Edit/Delete Post 
i've heard of dark energy... nasty little devil.
Posts: 43 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.