FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Somec

Author Topic: Somec
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
This is probably going to be a bit sleep deprived, I'm sorry.

I think I've finally realized the appeal of somec The ability, not to live forever, but to be able to go to sleep for a long time, and have all your problems be gone when you wake up. I really really want somec right now.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
(((((blacwolve)))))

The thing is, troubles have a way of chasing you, or showing up later in even worse forms. Many troubles that seem like you could avoid them with somec -- being tied a certain person or situation -- likely only seem that way. You'd just have to deal with them later.

It's too bad. I'd prefer your scenario.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Poseidon
Member # 5862

- posted      Profile for Poseidon   Email Poseidon         Edit/Delete Post 
good luck.
Posts: 43 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hazen
Member # 161

- posted      Profile for Hazen   Email Hazen         Edit/Delete Post 
I realize that Card has denied any real allegory in his book, but I think that his writing on somec is a satire/allusion to our fascination with wealth. All the most talented get more somec, so they actually produce less, and it slows society down. Has anyone else noticed this? Has card written anything about it?
Posts: 285 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
X12
Member # 5867

- posted      Profile for X12   Email X12         Edit/Delete Post 
Point well taken
Posts: 100 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

I want to write an essay analysing The Worthing Saga in my English class. I'm debating whether or not to do it even though my English teacher has informed me that science fiction is trash and I am not allowed to read OSC for my outside reading in that class. If I don't I think I'm going to write an essay about what the repeated use of "and" symbolizes in whatever book I do read. I have it all planned out. [Evil]
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grandma Edie
Member # 5771

- posted      Profile for Grandma Edie   Email Grandma Edie         Edit/Delete Post 
Write your essay. But use judgment about submitting it to THAT teacher; either you will win a convert to science fiction, or you will flunk. You can always save the essay for a later teacher, more intelligent. [Angst]
Posts: 74 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tristionya
Member # 5869

- posted      Profile for Tristionya   Email Tristionya         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] I'm sorry blacwolve my English teacher went out of his way to let us read Ender's Game. You have a horrible teacher. I say you write the essay with so much conviction that this absurd teacher has to give you an A. The worst that could happen is he/she could make you rewrite it on another topic, but if that were me I'd just write it in a different language and hand it back in the next day. I would also tell the old bat that maybe he/she should read the book before he/she starts condoning it. Thats just me though. [ROFL]
Posts: 12 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

My English teacher informed me that if she started letting me read science fiction, she would have to let people read *gasp* mysteries, and *gasp* horror and all other sorts of trash.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
So your teacher is unfamiliar with Poe, I take it?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tristionya
Member # 5869

- posted      Profile for Tristionya   Email Tristionya         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] Well damn what kind of drugs is your teacher on? What books are left after you take horror, science fiction, and mysteries? [Eek!] Oh wait theres always encyclopedias there way fun.
-Tristionya

Posts: 12 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
At one time I could have related to your teacher. But then I found out that I was crazy. Still, may not be the best approach.

Re: the appeal of somec, I think that if I went to sleep for ten years the chances of things being worse when I woke up are equal to them being better.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Svidrigailov
Member # 5147

- posted      Profile for Svidrigailov   Email Svidrigailov         Edit/Delete Post 
Somec is power. It allows control of aspects of society. The sleepers become the power elites, but by harnessing the power, the power harnesses them. They become slaves to the somec.
Posts: 28 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tristionya
Member # 5869

Oh on the previous page Pooka when you said I used curse words or what not I had forgotten about my post here. I am truely sorry I shouldn't have said what I said. I was just a bit upset when I get upset I sometimes turn to profanity but now that I know it offends people I won't use it. Again I am truely sorry. [Smile] -Tristionya

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.