FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Did I miss a Book in the Alvin series

Author Topic: Did I miss a Book in the Alvin series
hailar
Member # 6046

- posted      Profile for hailar   Email hailar         Edit/Delete Post 
At the end of Heartfire, Calvin is cured and everybody is returning home.

At the beginning of Crystal City, Alvin is in Barcy, he and Peggy have lost a baby, Alvin has freed some slave from a river boat and had run ins with Davy Crocket and Jim Bowie. And I don't know about any of this besides subtle hints in the new book.

I feel cheated. There is obviously a whole bunch of stuff I don't know. What happened to Mike Fink?

Did I miss a book?

Posts: 5 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, welcome to the great community that is Hatrack. [Smile]

I myself have not read Crystal City. I can't afford to buy the hard-back version of it. All I know is that most books by Orson Scott Card move rather quickly. Take Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead for example. At the end of Ender's Game, Ender was like 13 years old. At the beginning of Speaker for the Dead, he was in his late 20s I believe, and he was teaching kids.
[Dont Know] In short, no. I don't think you did. Here is the order.
1. Seventh Son
2. Red Prophet
3. Prentice Alvin
4. Alvin Journeyman,
5. Heartfire
6 Crystal City
Upcoming
7. Master Alvin (conclusion to the series! [Smile] )

I hope that helps. [Smile]

By the way Kristine, if you see this could you let me know when the paperback print is release if you have the information? [Smile]

[ January 05, 2004, 11:34 PM: Message edited by: Nick ]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hailar
Member # 6046

- posted      Profile for hailar   Email hailar         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not so much the time gap but the allusion to so many different things. You get the feeling that you have missed something. You come across references to people and events that you should know about but you don't.

BTW, I got my copy from the library. I long ago ran out of room for hard backs in my house.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
There are two short stories that fill the gap between Heartfire and Crystal City. More on the shorts can be found here.

And welcome to Hatrack, hailar! [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Poseidon
Member # 5862

- posted      Profile for Poseidon   Email Poseidon         Edit/Delete Post 
wait, theres Alvin Maker and Master Alvin? weird...
Posts: 43 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never heard about a book entitled Alvin Maker. The series was to have seven novels, and the last is Master Alvin. There is a third short story which falls between Heartfire and The Crystal City, though -- working title White Prophet. That, along with Grinning Man and Yazoo Queen fall into that timeframe.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought there WAS an Alvin Maker. . .

Oh well, I guess I have been misinformed. If Papa Moose hasn't heard of it, then it must not exist. [Smile]

[ December 25, 2003, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: Nick ]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Legends II, with "The Yazoo Queen," is now out!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0345456440/qid=1075760509/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/002-2100654-2472064

[Smile]

I haven't had time to read it yet, but it looks good...

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfhunt
Member # 6231

- posted      Profile for pfhunt   Email pfhunt         Edit/Delete Post 
I take it that _White Prophet_ will be considerably longer than _Grinning Man_ or _Yazoo Queen_? [Confused]

*** SPOILERS for Crystal City, Grinning Man, Yazoo Queen and (presumably) White Prophet ***

It has quite a lot to cover:
* Alvin's travel to Crystal City, Tennizy
* the death of his first child, and his subsequent visit back to Hatrack.
* the start of his wanderings again, joining up with the start of _GM_.

There could conceivably be more to tell between the end of _YQ_ and the beginning of _CC_, of Alvin's and Arthur's adventures with Abe and Coz on the raft.

*** END OF SPOILERS ***

Is there any more information about what stories may fall into this period? Will there be a linking novel published some time later which incorporates all this material?

[ February 23, 2004, 07:28 PM: Message edited by: pfhunt ]

Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwan
Member # 6194

- posted      Profile for gwan   Email gwan         Edit/Delete Post 
SPOILER [No No] [Grumble]
Posts: 197 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfhunt
Member # 6231

- posted      Profile for pfhunt   Email pfhunt         Edit/Delete Post 
Oops, sorry. But I didn't think I was spoiling anything that had not been spoiled by the first post in this thread ... [Frown]

I've now added spoiler warnings for later readers.

[ February 23, 2004, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: pfhunt ]

Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.