FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » New guy here with question...

Author Topic: New guy here with question...
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all! Long time reader of OSC books, first time poster to his website! [Smile]

First a question: In the Forward to one of OSC's books (I believe it was one of the earlier Alvin Maker books) he talks about how American culture and dominance is dying out. I was wondering how he currently feels about America today after the huge economic boom of the late 90's and now our war against terrorism. I respect his learned opinion and hope that he thinks that America is doing better and will survive for a long time! [Smile]

Second is a statement: OSC is wonderful...and probably my favorite modern day author along side John Irving.

Take care all!

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HenryW
Member # 6053

- posted      Profile for HenryW   Email HenryW         Edit/Delete Post 
Go to OSC's columns on this site to get a flavor for his brand of conservatism. He provides the answer better than any of us can relay (or even misspeak).

I disagree on many of his positions. Not much of a problem for me - as a professed, out of the closet liberal, I find that half of my truest friends are conservative. While I can't vouch for their salvation, I can depend on them to help fix my roof [Smile]

Posts: 46 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
For us who are conservative it's kind of difficult to figure out in what way Card is a democrat. I know he wasn't thrilled about Schwarzenegger's fiscal conservatism, and he wanted his kids to grow up in a racially diverse place. But neither of those preclude being a republican. I think he is idealistic and thinks there can still be a democratic party that doesn't revolve around the glory of the Clinton administration.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.