FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » OSC discussions on other Message Boards

Author Topic: OSC discussions on other Message Boards
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
I am sure that many of you frequent other message boards, as do I. I divide my time between here and a BYU sports message board ( Cougarboard.com ) and earlier today someone brought up the plagiarism issue regarding the Homecoming series.

I kindly directed them to OSC's Open Letter on the topic and as a result have found a few fellow OSC fans on that board.

This all got me thinking... What experiences have any of you had with sharing Hatrack or discussing OSC on other message boards?

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
You mean besides the other mostly-OSC fan message boards such as this one and this one?

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

Yes, Obviously... [Smile]

A I assume that discussion about OSC happens on those boards already. I am talking mostly about non-OSC related boards.

[ January 09, 2004, 12:24 PM: Message edited by: peterh ]

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
You actually spend precious time in non-OSC boards???!!!!! [Eek!]

you traitor!!

[Wink]
FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Non-OSC boards? What are those?
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
KSR's Board

I post here, but there is not much talk about OSC, except when I mention him.

The Dreamers of Dune is a new board for me, and very active. Pretty fluffy however. No one there knew the term "Jatraquero" so I think it's safe to say that there's not much OSC going on there.

But yeah, I guess there are other boards too!

[ January 09, 2004, 10:58 PM: Message edited by: eslaine ]

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, lack of knowledge of "jatraquero" just means that they're not on hatrack...it doesn't mean that they're aren't any OSC fans. I've been amazed at the amount of OSC fans that I've met that have never been on Hatrack. (How COULD they?) Yes, we're pretty forumcentric. [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, it only makes sense that OSC fans would go to Hatrack to discuss OSC.

I mean, like, google, y'know?

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Narnia, me too. I meet people who've read more OSC than I have and they've never even heard of Hatrack. [Dont Know]
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I tried hatrack when I read Heartfire. I tried going to the Battle School section. I also wrote a scathing rebuke of his top 50 movies section at one time. That was two or three years ago. Right after Endercon I tried to get involved, but that special person who seemed to be reading my mind turned out to be my brother, and I get to hang out with him whenever I want.

About a year ago I got disgusted with my primary forum contact on the internet (because it was supposed to be non-political and the forum guru got political) and decided to start coming here. I don't know if my brother mentioned it again or what. But here I am. :suddenly wants to go to writer's workshop, where brother now hangs out:

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

Narnia, I have found that it takes a special breed of not only Card fan, but also computer geek to spend time on this board. Likewise with my cougarboard. I meet BYU fans all the time that are as bigger supporters of the cougars, but have never been on the site.

Personally, I wear my geekiness like a badge. [Big Grin]

SouljaKlipp
Member # 6092

- posted      Profile for SouljaKlipp   Email SouljaKlipp         Edit/Delete Post 
i am a pretty big OSC fan... i always read him talking about the help he gets from readers at this site. ive been through 7 copies of EG reading them and loaning them (where they mysteriously disappear...;)and am on my third ES. This weekend has been my first time visiting hatrack, and i think im gonna dust off my home CP and burn a little electricity in the next few months here.
klipp
o ya what is "Jatraquero"?

Posts: 12 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Jatraquero is the term that folks who frequent Hatrack use to describe themselves. It was coined by the Hon. David Bowles.

Jatraquera is feminine.

Jatraquero is masculine.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
And you can even shorten it, as I've seen some people do:...Jatro and Jatra.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but the ones who shorten it hate America, Javert.

Oh, and they feed and clothe Al Qaida too.

[Wink]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SouljaKlipp
Member # 6092

- posted      Profile for SouljaKlipp   Email SouljaKlipp         Edit/Delete Post 
I am vehemently opposed to supporting terrorists... but what about their children? what if that fat chick that asks for 50 cents a day on the tv commercials told us the money went to terrorists' children? i mean theyre poor kids so how can you say no... and yet... they may grow up to one day be terrorists themselves. i only ask the questions the rest of you are too afraid to ask
klipp

Posts: 12 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
It wouldn't change anything, I still wouldn't send money to them.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

money, no.... visit their message board, well, hmmmm....
marzipan
Member # 6096

- posted      Profile for marzipan   Email marzipan         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone. I'm new here. Well actually, I've been lurking for a while here and on Ornery's forum. =)

Soulja - OMG. I know exactly what you mean. I've loaned out 5 copies of EG and two copies of ES. I don't think I even currently own a copy of those two books. It's ok though. =) I'm happy my friends like them so much, they've "forgotten" them return it to me.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SouljaKlipp
Member # 6092

not me, im callin in my bets... retribution will be vengeful... if i was god i would smite more
klipp

laraem
Member # 6103

- posted      Profile for laraem   Email laraem         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah loaning out copies of books by OSC is like... putting a TAKE ME sign on them.
i learned that one fast enough
and i got 14 different OSC books as my xmas gift to myself... so it made up for the "lost" ones

-laraem

Posts: 14 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marzipan
Member # 6096

- posted      Profile for marzipan   Email marzipan         Edit/Delete Post 
Hehe retribution... I think I've forfeited my right to retribution as there are about 3 or 4 books on my shelf that I "borrowed." [Dont Know]

[ January 15, 2004, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: marzipan ]

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gottmorder
Member # 5039

- posted      Profile for Gottmorder   Email Gottmorder         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's more technology than anything, but some of his writings are discussed on Spacebattles.com. You might have to look a little since it is a general sci-fi board.
Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually get back the books I loan out since I won't loan the next one until I get the current one back. I wonder what'll happen once my friend reaches the end of the series?
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.