FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Best SF/Fantasy Series (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Best SF/Fantasy Series
SouljaKlipp
Member # 6092

- posted      Profile for SouljaKlipp   Email SouljaKlipp         Edit/Delete Post 
im trying to decide which sf/fantasy series to get into next... i want something im going to get into and spend some time on. preferably at least 3 books. ive read all of OSC's series, so im looking for any recommedations you guys have. all time best???
klipp

Posts: 12 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gottmorder
Member # 5039

- posted      Profile for Gottmorder   Email Gottmorder         Edit/Delete Post 
For fantasy, A Song of Ice and Fire trilogy by George RR Martin (A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, and A Storm of Swords currently with A Fest for Crows coming soon)

[ January 10, 2004, 03:12 PM: Message edited by: Gottmorder ]

Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Red Mars, Green Mars, and Blue Mars--all by Kim Stanley Robinson.

[ January 10, 2004, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: eslaine ]

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
The Book of the New Sun tetralogy by Gene Wolfe.
Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series (HHGTTG; Restaraunt at the End of the Universe; Life, the Universe, and Everything; So Long and Thanks for All The Fish; and Mostly Harmless) by Douglas Adams if you don't mind comedy. But you probably already read it, so nevermind.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grandma Edie
Member # 5771

- posted      Profile for Grandma Edie   Email Grandma Edie         Edit/Delete Post 
My personal favorite is the "Miles Vorkosigan" series by Lois Mcmaster Bujold.
She herself suggests that persons new to the series begin with "The Warrior's Apprentice" even though it is not first, either in order written or order of events. After The Warrior's Apprentice" you can go backwards or forwards. I think it is about eight or nine books, now.

Posts: 74 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
The Vorkosigan series is 14 books long. And there's a new short story in the series in a collection due to be released on February 3!

::shivers in anticipation::

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Poseidon
Member # 5862

- posted      Profile for Poseidon   Email Poseidon         Edit/Delete Post 
i wholeheart-ed-ly second Hitchhiker's Guide. i seriously think they're my favortite books.

I, Robot by Isaac Asimov is good and you hafta read it before the movie comes out anyway. [Wink] (July. 16-- be prepared to move to Saturn as to avoid it)

Alvin Maker, if you haven't already.

Posts: 43 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HenryW
Member # 6053

- posted      Profile for HenryW   Email HenryW         Edit/Delete Post 
Two very strong recommendations.

Someone much like Card as a storyteller - C.J. Cherryh and her Foreigner series. For me it is right there with Card and Tolkien for the internals that happen as we try and chose right things to do. A wonderful premise is a good start and the series is spell binding.

Second - Terry Goodkind's epic sprawl that starts with Wizards First Rule. More Tolkien like in story development and has a neverending quality. It leaves me with a passion and a lust for each new book in the series.

Posts: 46 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HenryW
Member # 6053

- posted      Profile for HenryW   Email HenryW         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh geesh - sorry, but I,Robot wa the impetus for my favorite Sci-Fi series (how could I not mention it) - Asimov's Foundation series - a pretty decent must read
Posts: 46 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IMHO
Member # 3348

- posted      Profile for IMHO           Edit/Delete Post 
Assassin's Apprentice, Royal Assassin, and Assassin's Quest by Robin Hobb. If you like those she has 2 other trilogies that are connected.

Dave Duncan-- King's Blades series.

Posts: 96 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grandma Edie
Member # 5771

- posted      Profile for Grandma Edie   Email Grandma Edie         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't resist mentioning these, although I tried to. Two books is not a series, but such two books!
The Sparrow and Children of God by Mary Doria Russell. Sold as sequels, but, really, it is one long story in two books.

Anyone who particularly enjoys the religious sub-text in so much of Card's word will very likely lap these up!

Russell swears that she is not going to make a series of these books. She gives as a reason that she has already put her protagonist through too many horrific ordeals, and that he is entitled to relax for the rest of his life.
This is correct, but I think she could have continued with the focus on another character, or introduce an entirely new one. Ah, well.

Posts: 74 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Someone much like Card as a storyteller - C.J. Cherryh and her Foreigner series.
I just want to go on record as saying I completely disagree with this. I think it's one of those things that's true for one person but not true for the next. I liked Foreigner, but it was really hard to read and I haven't read any of the others.

If you want something light and fun I'd recommend the Belgariad by David Edings. It's not great literature by any stretch of the imagination, but it's so much fun!

I also highly recommend Bujold. But my library doesn't have the books that come before The Warrior's Apprentice and they're out of print, it's driving me crazy.

ae- I just checked Shadow& Claw out of the library today, is it New Sun or Long Sun, and whichever it is, is it the better of the two. My library doesn't have the other series, so I hope this is the good one.

Random series question of my own: I just checked the first book in the Otherland series by Tad Williams out. Does anyone know if this is good? I know his other series is supposed to be wonderful, but it didn't look interesting to me, so I checked this out instead to get a taste of him.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I heartily recommend Williams, myself.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
blacwolve, the two books before Warrior's Apprentice (Shards of Honor and Barrayar) are reprinted in one volume as Cordelia's Honor.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I can recommend Octavia Bulter without hesitation. Her Xenogenesis trilogy meets your criteria. The first book in the series is called Dawn. I've recently seen all three books bound as a single volume too (called Xenogenesis I think. Her Patternmaster series is worth reading, but it isn't consistently of the same high quality as the Xenogenesis trilogy. Really, the only book from the series that I found to be worth rereading was the prequel, Wild Seed.

I'll second the George R. R. Martin suggestion, as well as that of Tad Williams.

Robin Hobbs has the Liveship Traders trilogy, which I'd recommend, although not as highly as Butler, Martin, and Williams. Her Assasins series is reputedly pretty good, but as I haven't read it, I couldn't really say. I know that she's got a new trilogy 2/3 done that picks up some of the characters from the Assissins series, but I'm waiting to read it until a) it's complete and b)I've read the Assisins books.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to put in a word for an off-beat series by Mike Resnick that has been compiled into one volume titled Tales of the Galactic Midway. The original books, in order, are titled: Sideshow, The Three-Legged Hootch Dancer, The Wild Alien Tamer and The Best Rootin' Tootin' Shootin' Gunslinger in the Whole Galaxy.

Anyone else out there read these?

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
Find and start the Chronicals of Amber including the new Amber Novels also Terry Pratchett's Disk World books are great fun.

If you have not read the Amber novels then you are very lucky to have that ahead of you! I also think anybody who enjoys fantasy and Westerns should pick up the Stones of Power series, Starting with Wolf in Shadows, John Shannow may be the most original character I have seen in Fantasy.

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

Thanks dkw and Tom!
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SouljaKlipp
Member # 6092

- posted      Profile for SouljaKlipp   Email SouljaKlipp         Edit/Delete Post 
word
klipp

Posts: 12 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
It will soon meet your criteria (I think) but two books by China Mieville are very cool and very unique entries into...fantasy? Steam Punk? Urban fantasy? Who knows...but check out "Perdido Street Station" and the sort-of sequal "The Scar." I loved them. Very much like Dickens crossed with...Neil Gaimen, I suppose. I think a third is on the way this year, "The Iron Council" but it may not be a book in that series.

fil

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It depends on how much you've read. But since you have decided on reading scifi/fantasy, I'll guess that you've read a few before.

Given that assumption, I suggest going back and reading some of the classic scifi books/series. Dune by Frank Herbert is a classic, but don't feel like you need to read the whole series. The law of diminishing returns really kicks in with that series. But do read Dune.

I also suggest the Foundation Trilogy by Isaac Asimov. It's a classic, and it's fun, although almost all of the action happens off camera. As an added bonus, when you get around to reading Capitol, you'll see where a lot of Card's influence for that book comes from.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
The Gap Cycle and The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, both by Stephen R. Donaldson
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Tom:

I tried to go back and find this thread, but didn't have any luck...

Could you re-post your recommendation for how to read the Discworld novels? I've been meaning to get into this series, but haven't known where to start. I promise that this time I'll copy and paste the info on to "The List."

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, someone else who has read the Gap Cycle... I was wondering if there were any around Hatrack... That was a very interesting and involved series to read, though it has some questionable (R-rating) material, particularly in the first book.

I of course have to second (third, fourth, whatever) the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series if you haven't read it. As for new subject matter, I'd suggest the Heechee (Gateway) Saga by Frederik Pohl. (Also some slightly mature themes) I have many others, but I'll stick with that for now.

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cochick
Member # 6167

- posted      Profile for cochick   Email cochick         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm going to have to go for my top 5:

No 5. Robin Hobb "The Farseer Trilogy" (followed on by "The Tawny Man" trilogy - not as good as the first series though).

No 4. George R R Martin "A Song of Ice and Fire" (Book 4 due out any day).

No 3. Robin Hobb "The Liveship Traders" trilogy.

No 2. Terry Goodkind "Sword of Truth" saga (8th book now out). This may seem like just too much of a commitment but its definitely worth it.

No 1. It has to be David Eddings "The Belgariad" and "The Malloreon" These got me back into fantasy after a number of years away and I can read them over and over again.

Any of the above are great but I think right now I'd really recommend George R R Martin. "A Song of Ice and Fire" is truly epic, set on two immense continents with a cast of hundreds and written from numerous characters viewpoints it still draws you in. I can't wait for book No 4 to come out. He's got a great way of writing the characters that shows that most people aren't black and white good or bad, he shows they're motivations and desires. I couldn't believe some of the things he's done to some of the central characters and he keeps you guessing.

[ February 20, 2004, 10:15 PM: Message edited by: cochick ]

Posts: 394 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Octavia Butler: Dawn, Imago and Adulthood Rites

Sold together as Lillith's Brood.

I got put onto these by the other side of the board (thanks rivka [Smile] ) and they are GREAT.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wiggin
Member # 5020

- posted      Profile for The Wiggin           Edit/Delete Post 
In one of OSC's reviews he suggested Ann McCaffrey's Freedom saga which I read and like so I got her Pegasus series and like it and I have started the Dragonriders of Pern and It has been good so far.

Also I would sugest Dune (i've only read the first one though so...). And if you like/don't mind starwars the The New Jedi Order Series is good but it's by multipile authors. Also it meets you length requirement since it's like 15 books long(or somthing like that)

If you don't mind fantasy books that have a bit of adult content then try THe BLack Jewel Trilogy by Ann Bishop.

Anyways I've strated to ramble so I'll keave you with this list.

Posts: 397 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

In terms of Anne McCaffrey, I'd recommend the Pegasus series first, then the Rowan/Damia series, then the Freedom series. I've never got into the Pern books myself. But I didn't mind the crystal singers series.

She is a very very good fantasy writer, though some series do get very formulaic. Plus, I don't think she pushes the boundaries enough - they are safe, fun reads (similar to David Eddings) - so great for an easy read, but nothing to stretch your mind.

[ February 22, 2004, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: imogen ]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Aren't the Pegasus books and the Rowan/Damia books all part of her Talent series? And I adore the Pern books. And her Crystal Singer books are the only ones of hers that I don't like! I've even read her non-SF&F stuff (A Stitch in Snow and a short that was sort of SF when it was published, but isn't now, called "No Greater Love") and loved it.

Oh, and the Powers that Be trilogy is also very good. Selkies!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JayTaylorWV
Member # 4399

- posted      Profile for JayTaylorWV   Email JayTaylorWV         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow….. after 30 posts or so I can’t believe I get to say “The Wheel of Time” series by Robert Jordan. It’s excellent. Still going on. So far he’s got 11 books in the series and some of the books are huge. But they are great. If you haven’t read these it’s almost a must read series. Enjoy!
Posts: 10 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe Slash the Berzerker said it best in this thread: http://www.hatrack.com/ubb/forum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=002215

quote:
And I lump the wheel of time books not into sci fi or fantasy, but into a sub genre called 'crap'.

Seriously though, I used to love the Wheel of Time series but I've got to say that the last book is the biggest load of crap I have ever read in my entire life. It's a total waste of time. Absolutely nothing happens through the course of the entire 800 or so pages. I was really looking forward to it too. I think there are a lot of better things to read out there. A lot of it has already been mentioned though.
Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

quote:
Aren't the Pegasus books and the Rowan/Damia books all part of her Talent series?
Well, if you want to be pedantic. But they are marketed as different sub-series within the Talent series. (the "Epic Talents of Earth" saga).

Crystal singer isn't great, and does tend towards romantic sillyness at times, but I didn't mind them. Mind you, that was in the middle of a long haul plane flight - my reading taste tends to lean towards the lowest common denominator in such circumstances.

I may try Pern again. Which book should I start with?

Oh, and Wheel of Time - I liked the first two or three books. Then I started forgetting who the characters where and what the heck they were doing. They I had to re-read earlier books just to get a handle on a new, obscure storyline. Then things still didn't make sense. Then I gave up.

A decision I have never regretted. [Smile]

Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
George R R Martin "A Song of Ice and Fire" (Book 4 due out any day).
Oh, how I wish you were right. Unfortunately, the book isn't even finished being written, let alone ready for distribution.

*twitches*

I can't wait to see who he kills next.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
quote:

Aren't the Pegasus books and the Rowan/Damia books all part of her Talent series?

Well, if you want to be pedantic. But they are marketed as different sub-series within the Talent series. (the "Epic Talents of Earth" saga).

[Wink] Often, but that wasn't really my intent -- I've just seen them listed as one series. [Dont Know]

quote:
I may try Pern again. Which book should I start with?

IMO, definitely the Dragonsong trilogy -- Dragonsong, Dragonsinger, and Dragondrums.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I just checked Shadow& Claw out of the library today, is it New Sun or Long Sun, and whichever it is, is it the better of the two. My library doesn't have the other series, so I hope this is the good one.
Shadow & Claw is the first 2 books in New Sun. I have heard it is better than Long Sun, but haven't gotten around to Long Sun yet.
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

Sorry Rivka.. I guess I'm still just twitchy from scrabble. [Smile] I will try Dragonsong.

I thought of another author I love (though she doesn't tend to write in series) - Sheri S Tepper. I would suggest Northshore and Southshore (sold in one book in some editions) and Family Tree.

Oh, and I second Red Mars. Haven't read the other two yet (I only read Red Mars because it was left behind in the apartment I was staying at in Paris - and they didn't leave the others behind).

[ February 23, 2004, 08:19 AM: Message edited by: imogen ]

rivka
Member # 4859

Scrabble? *twitch*

Did someone say Scrabble?

*twitch*

gwan
Member # 6194

- posted      Profile for gwan   Email gwan         Edit/Delete Post 
The Mist of avalon ( always a classic)
preistess of avalon
lady of avalon
Forest house
by: Marion Zimmer Bradley [Hat]

Posts: 197 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikal
Member # 5564

- posted      Profile for Mikal   Email Mikal         Edit/Delete Post 
I've also heard good things about those hobbit books you hear so much about lately.
Posts: 41 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

I just started reading a book by Wolfe and couldn't finish, it was that painful (as in bad) to read. However, it was in diary form, so I thought maybe it was just the character that was a really bad writer, and not him. I already returned the book, and don't remember the title, but it was something about Blue Waters and was a sequel to another series. Is it typical of his work?

I really like some of the Tower and the Hive series, but eventually I felt like it was just repeating itself. If I had to recomend McCaffery I would reccomend the Acorna series and the Dragonsong series.

[ February 25, 2004, 10:28 PM: Message edited by: blacwolve ]

digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to recommend an old classic: The Ransom Trilogy (Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, That Hideous Strength), by C.S. Lewis. The books have a highly religious "point" to them, but whether you like that or not, they are also highly entertaining.

I also recommend the Hyperion series by Dan Simmons. These ones are really weird, and a lot of fun for it [Big Grin]

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Come to think of it, i should also recommend C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia. They're children's books, but hey, i grew up with them, and I still read them.
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikal
Member # 5564

- posted      Profile for Mikal   Email Mikal         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm gonna second the comment on the Narnia books. I read them when I was very young, and loved them, but after rereading them in the last year, I have gained a whole new respect for how awesome these books are.
Posts: 41 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
Dennis L McKiernan's Iron Tower trilogy is now being sold in a single volume. His Dragondoom is *still* my favorite book of all time, but it's a standalone. Still, arguably all of his "Mithgar" books are a single series, so there are 11 or 12 there if you're looking for a big long epic (especially since they span a period of several THOUSAND years -- and since the elves, mages, and pysks are immortal, they even have some of the same characters all the way through. . . .)

Anyway, that's my vote.

Or you could go the opposite end of the spectrum and go with Matther Woodring Stover's Heroes Die and Blade of Tyshalle only 2 books in the duology, but both AMAZING.

Michael Stackpole's DragonCrown War series is also amazing. . .well, acutally I just plain love this guy's work too. I *REALLY* want to see a follow-up to Talion: Revenant

And if I keep going I'll be listing books all day, so I'm stopping now. . . -- and had to edit that darn UBB code. .

[ February 26, 2004, 10:01 AM: Message edited by: Magson ]

Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Chronicles of Narnia -- I agree. Very enjoyable for youth and adult alike.

Ransom Trilogy -- I DISAGREE. I have read them, and I am glad that I did. But I would say that you shouldn't bother with them unless you have read some other Lewis and decided you like it.

But two other books of his that I *loved* are Screwtape Letters and The Great Divorce.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think anyone has mention Phillip Pullman's Dark Material trilogy. It was a great read.

I have heard mention of Robin Hobb and I can't say enough how AMAZING her writing is. Start with the Assasin books, then the Live Ship Books and lastly her current Fool's books. you will not be disapointed.

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
blacwolve, if you don't like first person, you're going to have problems with Wolfe. Sorry.
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Wiggin
Member # 5020

- posted      Profile for The Wiggin           Edit/Delete Post 
I have one suggestion thats not really a series but then if you have a hundred chapter novel it's pretty close. It's called Journey to the West (sorry can't remember any authors and my copy is out in my truck right now) and it's a Folk Novel From China written in the 1500's but you may find it hard to find the full hundred chapter version. It's about a stone monkey that comes to life and causes trouble and is trapped in a mountain later he is freed and helps a Buddist Priest travel to get scriptures from India. There are also shorter versions (the one I have is 30 chapters) by other names some times. My copy is simply called Monkey. It's a pretty good book and I recommend it unless you have a problem reading really old stories or ones about other religions.

As a side note if you’re a fan of the anime DBZ you may know that the character Goku is based on the monkey in Journey to the West. Also if you happen to find the full version please let me know at Nelsonsnelson@msn.com I would like to get it but haven't really looked around yet.

Posts: 397 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thunder's Core Smith
Member # 6234

- posted      Profile for Thunder's Core Smith   Email Thunder's Core Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
We read Monkey in one of my World Lit classes. It was probably my favorite read of that entire semester.
Posts: 40 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.