FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » is your logname completely random? or does it have a special meaning? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: is your logname completely random? or does it have a special meaning?
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I was (and still am) doing Latin at school. I wanted something unique, so I combines the Latin and my first love - books - into one name.

Ea quae legit means "she who reads." The two words got shortened into one because a) I liked it that way and b) I wasn't sure if it would let me register with three names. Come to think of it, I was surprised that I could register with a space at all.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Valentine: Please don't make me explain that one people. I read EG when I was 14 years old (now am 23) and I started using that as my email address and misc sn's and it stuck. As a matter of fact, I've caught my little bro calling me Val before.

Btw, I never post on this side, but things weren't moving on the usually "busy side" of Hatrack, so I decided to see what was up over here. [Wave]

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alyosha
Member # 6187

- posted      Profile for Alyosha   Email Alyosha         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine is from The Brothers Karamazov, which I had just finished reading when I signed up. Since I really liked the book, I wanted to use a name from it (and I decided that Alyosha sounded better and was easier to say than Snegiryov) [Smile]
Posts: 12 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eowyn of the mark
Member # 6210

- posted      Profile for eowyn of the mark   Email eowyn of the mark         Edit/Delete Post 
if my log in name needs an explination, i pity you. Eowyn was by far the coolest woman in lotr and she is my hero (or heroine, if i must be pc.)
Ii love female charcters that aren't afraid to fight.
"For the Mark!!"

Posts: 9 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eowyn of the mark
Member # 6210

- posted      Profile for eowyn of the mark   Email eowyn of the mark         Edit/Delete Post 
Dark Thirteen:
Kudos to you. The Dark tower series is awesome.. (even if i haven't been able to buy Wolves of Calla yet. The price is outrageous).

Posts: 9 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bant
Member # 6214

- posted      Profile for Bant   Email Bant         Edit/Delete Post 
Bant...it doesn't really mean anything. The full thing is Bant Dakid, it was a name I came up with when making a D&D character. I figured it out by taking the word Bandaid and adding words Ban[t]
Da[k]id. It stuck after that...so much that people at school cal me Bant, and some don't know my actual name.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enderwillsaveusall
Member # 6227

- posted      Profile for Enderwillsaveusall   Email Enderwillsaveusall         Edit/Delete Post 
My name is from the dashboard confessional song called...you guessed it Ender Will Save Us All.
If anyone knows the band Finch then they would know that they have a song out called Ender

Posts: 81 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
mine would be from being very bored at work and as my job doesn't require me to think I do a lot of introspection...and after much of this I described myself as a combination of two main characters in my mind, one I named Reiko and the other Demosthenes...put them together and you have me...ReikoDemosthenes *would go more indepth but it's a looooong explanation...*
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ender_girl
Member # 2707

- posted      Profile for ender_girl           Edit/Delete Post 
I needed a quick nick name and was suprised noone had used this one before. Obviously it originated because I wanted to use this forum but I came to use it other places later as well.

And in a way its kinda neat (okay just to me) that its ender_girl and the title of the first book in Enderverse is Ender's Game.

That is all. [Hat]

Btw, I love all the new 'graemlins'.

Posts: 35 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a nick that started in high school somewhat. It really stuck when I joined the navy. my usual handle at other forums is ender17 and it also goes with all of my email addresses. ender_wiggin was already used so I added 17 at the end for the 17th of april (my b-day). [Monkeys]
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ender/Peter(whichever you like)
Member # 6243

- posted      Profile for Ender/Peter(whichever you like)           Edit/Delete Post 
my real name is Die_Descoladors and it was a very spur of the moment thing, but the name i put was Ender/Peter(whicheveryoulike) and it worked anywayz.
[Hat]

Posts: 5 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
first of all, it's NOT my real name.
it is from Roger Zelazny's most famous fantasy series Amber. if you haven't already read it, i suggest you get right to it !

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cochick
Member # 6167

- posted      Profile for cochick   Email cochick         Edit/Delete Post 
Its my nickname from the Missionary Training Centre - based on my surname and being a girl
Posts: 394 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
I was opening a Hotmail account, and I was trying very hard to think of something boring and unoriginal, like taking the first three letters of my last name (D-I-G) and making a bad and unamusing pun with it. Well, every version, perversion and permutation imaginable of DIG was already taken, so I wrote digging_holes as a kind of frustrated joke, and it wasn't already taken, so now it's my name on the web. I've grown rather fond of it, especially because people sometimes mistakenly assumes it means something.
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What I found surprising is that the person whose Hatrack name is Shlomo didn't get it from Enchantment -- his real name is actually Shlomo. I was gonna call him Little Itzak, too....
Not only that, we picked out the name Shlomo before we had ever heard of OSC or the book Enchantment - though Shlomo has since read the book and didn't like his namesake much, IIRC.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caliph
Member # 6308

- posted      Profile for Caliph   Email Caliph         Edit/Delete Post 
Caliph is the name of the Leader of the Muslim people in Syria in the Shadow Of The Hegemon and Shadow Puppets, known also as Alai, Ender's boyfriend ni Ender's Game.

~Salaam.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
NATO is my initials!

I was just a boring old NAO before my confirmation name saved me. Good ol' Catholicism!

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a friend in high school with a pet rat that he endearingly called his "dog" ... I thought it was just too adorable for words.
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Geoff [Smile]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Scattered in a variety of Heinlein novels is the ship Romanylass. (two that come to mind are "Citizen of the Galaxy' and Methusalah's Children". Nothing ever happens there, it's just in passing , say "The Romanylass was orbiting the planet". I have always felt and affinity with the Roma so it caught my eye.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Mishto!
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kamisaki
Member # 6309

- posted      Profile for Kamisaki   Email Kamisaki         Edit/Delete Post 
My name actually comes from Aymara - an Indian language spoken in the Andes of Bolivia and Peru - which is where I served my LDS mission. It's a common greeting, basically means "how's it going."
Posts: 134 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Nato -- how does confirmation change one's name?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkWizard
Member # 6186

- posted      Profile for DarkWizard   Email DarkWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
I was reading LoTR at the time I got my first E-mail adress and the name just stuck
Posts: 42 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alath
Member # 6150

- posted      Profile for alath   Email alath         Edit/Delete Post 
mr_porteiro_head, in catholism, when you get confirmed, you choose a saint, and you use your saints name between your middle name and your last name. So if your name was Sarah Sue Smith before you got confirmed and your saint was Saint Ceclia, then you you would be Sarah Sue Cecilia Smith.
Posts: 145 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unmaker
Member # 1641

- posted      Profile for Unmaker   Email Unmaker         Edit/Delete Post 
: :
Posts: 1144 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kabederlin
Member # 6304

- posted      Profile for Kabederlin   Email Kabederlin         Edit/Delete Post 
My name is a mix of two star wars names. Once when I was writing something I needed a fake name and went shoveling through my Star Wars Encyclopedia (Im such a geek) and mixed Kabe (A furry Animal) with Major Derlin (Who led the Rebel ground troops on Hoth) and came up with Kabe Derlin... Then I started using the name everywhere... So... Yeah.
Posts: 126 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
alath -- do you change your name legally, or just on the church records?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UTAH
Member # 5032

- posted      Profile for UTAH   Email UTAH         Edit/Delete Post 
After a futile attempt at every cool name I could think of and in great frustration, I settled on UTAH. The caps lock was on by mistake and I was worried (for 2 seconds)others might think I was making a big deal out of the fact I was from the beautiful state of Utah. And Papa, I finally got around to reading the Crystal City this week. I smile [Hat] everytime I read your name . . .
Posts: 277 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crux
Member # 6364

- posted      Profile for Crux   Email Crux         Edit/Delete Post 
Crux: The most critical point.

It is also my stage name I use when performing my music.

Posts: 20 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crux
Member # 6364

Utah, I too am from Utah. Logan.
Posts: 20 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UTAH
Member # 5032

- posted      Profile for UTAH   Email UTAH         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice ta meetcha, Crux. I was born in Logan Regional Hospital and lived in Avon (right next to Paradise [Big Grin] )for the first few years of my life.
Posts: 277 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Mishto!
Zalmoxis, that's something I didn't expect to read in this forum ! [ROFL]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phil Tice
Member # 6370

- posted      Profile for Phil Tice   Email Phil Tice         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine's my name because I have a hard enough time remembering one name. More than that tends to confuse me. It's hard enough that my family calls me Philip and my friends call me Phil. My head hurts just thinking about it.
Posts: 35 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crux
Member # 6364

Utah,

Avon! oh man, that's rough. My buddy still lives out there and has to drive to campus every day. that's a good 40 min drive. terribly lame.

But that's cool. Where you living at now a days?

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"I never thought I someone in this website would like anime, comics, AND Orson Scott Card!"

Are there no geeks on your planet?

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roland
Member # 5370

- posted      Profile for Roland           Edit/Delete Post 
Mine is appropriated from the Dark Tower series written by Stephen King. Roland Deschain is most likely the best character ever. And the series is complete and will be published this year. I just wish King had resisted re-writing The Gunslinger (The original rules ok!)
Posts: 23 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AnonymousNC
Member # 1544

- posted      Profile for AnonymousNC   Email AnonymousNC         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to see so many folks here into the Dark Tower. I truely love that series. I'm just hoping King didn't sacrifice anything for speed in finishing the series - but I am glad it is finally finishing While I've been into King for years (25 at least), the Gunslinger was a new level IMHO

I'm sympathetic to eowyn on the Wolves of the Calla price. It was a major purchase for me to get Wolves and Crystal City at the same time. It's tough on poor folks to be hooked on books - especially two prolific authors like Card and King

BTW my boring name is to remain Anonymous here in North Carolina - real imaginative huh

Posts: 19 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Apooche
Member # 6384

- posted      Profile for Apooche   Email Apooche         Edit/Delete Post 
A pooch with an e on the end. Actually its a random jitterish my friend and I used when we were trying to make up a code language in fourth grade...

never worked, but i use the name all the time

Posts: 33 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
megaotaku
Member # 6389

- posted      Profile for megaotaku   Email megaotaku         Edit/Delete Post 
to master kakashi and st. yogi: THANK YOU!! I thought me and my friend staci were the only people on the ENTIRE PLANET who liked both anime and OSC!!! do you read fanfiction? i must be the only author on fanfiction.net who has posted in both the OSC section and the anime section!!! naruto isn't my favorite anime but i dont hate it. have you read any other shonen jump? one piece is my favorite of all of shonen jump's manga (u better know what manga is)

Oh, and the point behind my sn and stuff (its not my email or aim adress but it is everything else) is that i am a mega otaku. an otaku (at least this is how we translate it among my friends) is someone who is COMPLETELY OBSESSED with anime! (p.s. that's my penname on fanfiction.net. I have two OSC fics up there. if ur gonna read em dont read the one called NOT FROM THE ENDERVERSE!!! it sucks... read "school" and review pleaz) and yes that was shameless plugging

Posts: 6 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
From Beverly Crusher on STNG. I couldn't come up with anything, and she popped into my head. I always thought she was cool.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, ok I've always enjoyed wordplay. Pun and wit together. Also close to pundit although associating puns with pundit is sorta an oxymoron. Oh well.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aeroth
Member # 6269

- posted      Profile for Aeroth   Email Aeroth         Edit/Delete Post 
My name is a nod towards Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII.
Posts: 121 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kabederlin
Member # 6304

- posted      Profile for Kabederlin   Email Kabederlin         Edit/Delete Post 
Sephiroth was so cool...
Posts: 126 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jia-Ning
Member # 6406

- posted      Profile for Jia-Ning   Email Jia-Ning         Edit/Delete Post 
My log-in name is the name of the oldest daughter in the Ang Lee movie Eat Drink, Man Woman. I really relate to her in some ways [Wink] . Not only that, that movie was an awesome movie, so this is sort of a nod to that. And I'm Chinese [Smile]
Posts: 13 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lara
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for Lara   Email Lara         Edit/Delete Post 
I was new to the internet when I first started on Hatrack, I didn't know about handles. I remember being really frustrated that Lara was taken on the more popular free email sites. Incidentally, I watched Dr. Zhivago for the first time a couple of years ago and was disturbed to find my parents named me after an adultress.
Posts: 377 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
captainmoriar
Member # 6416

- posted      Profile for captainmoriar   Email captainmoriar         Edit/Delete Post 
Well it comes from the background of the Blood Angels Chapter in 40K but it's roots lie in latin:

mors
1. death

mortificare
1. kill, liquidate, slay

mortuus
1. dead

I use it everywhere but one site [Smile] and my passwords used to be all the same and just a word but now they are all quite different and letter/number combos

Posts: 21 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erhendil
Member # 6419

- posted      Profile for Erhendil   Email Erhendil         Edit/Delete Post 
My logname comes from the Tolkien's universe. It is, with a different writing, the name of a Navigator Elf. I chose it because I like the resonance and I have always wanted to be different, an Elf for example... [Wink] even if this one is male one.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kyle Kovalchek
Member # 6438

- posted      Profile for Kyle Kovalchek   Email Kyle Kovalchek         Edit/Delete Post 
People seem to have this habit, wherever I go, (on the web)to hide the instantly noticable and thuroughly spontaneous geekiness behing a seemingly "cool" name and language. [Wall Bash]
However, when I came here, (being the loyal fan that I am), none here does, so I went with the crowd. [Smile]

Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Son_of_Priam
Member # 6411

- posted      Profile for Son_of_Priam   Email Son_of_Priam         Edit/Delete Post 
I chose my name because Priam's son was Alexander and he killed Achilles (in real history of course). Anybody else realise that?
Posts: 73 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.