FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » The best way to read the worthing series?

Author Topic: The best way to read the worthing series?
Dreamforge
Member # 6136

- posted      Profile for Dreamforge   Email Dreamforge         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking for opinions on what is the best order is to read the worthing series.

The reason I ask this question is that when I was diving around some used book stores, I found copies of Hot Sleep and The Worthing Cronical in good shape(Ace First Ed ). I do not have The Worthing Saga yet. I'm thinking about reading it in chronological order.

-Mark

PS: Now I just need to find a copy of Capitol. [Smile]

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
WHERE did you find a copy of Hot Sleep?

I MUST have it. I have Capital, now i must have hot sleep. Tell me how i can get my grubby little puerto rican mitts on it. GIVE ME THE INFORMATION I SEEK!! [Smile]

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read Worthing Saga, but I've read all three of the others. This is what I recommend:

You MUST read Worthing Saga first! That isn't a recommendation, it's an order. The reason is, Worthing Saga is one of the most powerful books I've ever read. While both Hot Sleep and Capitol are actually quite good science fiction novels, they're just fluff, Worthing Saga is literature. After that I think I would recommend you read Capitol and then Hot Sleep.

For people who have read both Capitol and Worthing Saga: There was one story in Capitol that I think really enhanced Worthing Saga when I reread it. I don't have the book, but the title had God, or religion in it somewhere.

*SPOILERS*

It's the story about Stipock, about his life on Capitol. While it wasn't on par with the writing in Worthing Saga, I didn't understand why OSC didn't rewrite it and put it in, I understood Stipock so much better after I read it. Did anyone else feel this way?

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dreamforge
Member # 6136

- posted      Profile for Dreamforge   Email Dreamforge         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the suggestion. I'll see if I can pick up a copy of Saga.

Odouls - I found this copy up in PA when my wife and I were on vacation. We happened upon a used book stort that had a wonderful collection of Sci-Fi. I had picked it up at the time because it was a book by OSC that we didn't have. I wish you luck in finding one.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I was sorely tempted to steal Hot Sleep from the library, but instead I returned it. I never saw it again, though, so I think someone else stole it. *sigh* I'd like to read that one again.

But I agree with the others -- The Worthing Saga first, which is actually The Worthing Chronicle (a ten-chapter novella) combined with several short stories, some from Capitol, some not. As I recall, the activity in Hot Sleep sorta overlaps with things learned in the others. Definitely a confuzzled Worthingverse, but overall one of his most powerful works.

Oh, and the whole "welcome to Hatrack" thing, too. Almost forgot that. *smile*

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I haven't read Worthing Saga,
quote:
The reason is, Worthing Saga is one of the most powerful books I've ever read.
[Confused] [Dont Know] [Monkeys]
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liquor and Fireworks
Member # 5785

- posted      Profile for Liquor and Fireworks   Email Liquor and Fireworks         Edit/Delete Post 
I recommend reading it upside down, naked, in a tub of jell-o.
Posts: 331 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liquor and Fireworks
Member # 5785

- posted      Profile for Liquor and Fireworks   Email Liquor and Fireworks         Edit/Delete Post 
Cherry, if possible. 'Cause if you use green you'll look like some creepy alien, but with cherry, you just look like you had too much sun.
Posts: 331 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
[Angst] [Eek!]
*runs away screaming*

Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liquor and Fireworks
Member # 5785

Why does that always happen?
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, do you always mention being naked in a tub of Jell-o?
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, oops. [Blushing]

I haven't read Worthing Chronicles. [Monkeys]

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dreamforge
Member # 6136

[Smile] It's going to take me some time to get to reading the Worthing Saga, but I'm definitely looking forward to it. I've got an extremely large pile of books on my nightstand to read. I think I have at least 10 new books after the holidays.

Papa - have you read "This Alien Shore" by C S Freidman? I'd highly recommend it to OSC fans, it is definitely in my top 20 list.

Liquor and Fireworks
Member # 5785

quote:
Well, do you always mention being naked in a tub of Jell-o?
Not always...but frequently, yes.
Craig Childs
Member # 5382

- posted      Profile for Craig Childs   Email Craig Childs         Edit/Delete Post 
I imagine if OSC were answering this question, he would tell you to read only THE WORTHING SAGA. OSC has said on numerous occasions that he dislikes CAPITAL and HOT SLEEP. That is why he re-wrote them as the WORTHING CHRONICLE.

SAGA is something of an omnibus; it contains the complete text of WORHTING CHRONICLE, a few of the best stories from CAPITAL, plus some previously unpublished stories.

However, I read all four books in the order they were published, and I enjoyed CAPITAL and HOT SLEEP more in their original forms.

Yes, the writing was stilted at times and the plot meandered all over the place with many loose threads that were never resolved, but there was much more love, angst, and violence. HOT SLEEP, in particular, was very raw and not like any other book Card has written, except maybe SONGMASTER.

Card tends to express a particular worldview in his books - and don't get me wrong, he does it extremely well. But in HOT SLEEP, I felt the worldview wasn't established quite so firmly, so the tone and "message" was more morally ambiguous. I felt the later versions were more sanitized and structured.

I cared more for the characters in the original stories than the later ones. In the end, I guess that's really what I base my opinion on.

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grandma Edie
Member # 5771

- posted      Profile for Grandma Edie   Email Grandma Edie         Edit/Delete Post 
It is important to keep this in mind: The Worthing
Books are not a "series" in the sense that one comes after the other, consecutively, as in the Shadow Books, or The Tales of Alvin Maker.
Capitol was written first, and it is a collection of short stories around a theme, the drug "somec."
Hot Sleep is a connected novel, overlapping and not entirely consistent with the
stories of Capitol
The Worthing Chronicle is Card's improvement on Hot Sleep. Some of it goes beyond Hot Sleep but, basically, it tells the same story from a more artistic viewpoint. After writing The Worthing Chronicle Card wanted Capitol and Hot Sleep
withdrawn.
The Worthing Saga is The Worthing Chronicle repeated with practically no change, with some other stories from Capitol added, and others from the same universe.

Thus: The Worthing Saga is not
number four in a series but the fourth attempt to tell essentially the same story over and over. If you read The Worthing Saga
you will get the whole story, or at least as much of it as Card is pleased with.

But, if you want to see how he got there, you can read the other three.

Grandma Edie, also known as Edith S. Tyson, author of Orson Scott Card, Writer of the Terrible Choice

Posts: 74 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Proteus
Member # 794

- posted      Profile for Proteus   Email Proteus         Edit/Delete Post 
Worthing is still up there with the best. Every time someone mentions it I just want to reread it. Perhaps one of the best things my ex-girlfriend ever did for me before she went evil n'stuff was to give a large amount of books, some Asimov, the Worthing Saga and the Thomas Covenant books were just a few... god bless the accidental discovery of great books!
Posts: 200 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Raise your hand if you want to know where you can find a copy of Hot Sleep ?
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Raise both hands if you want it signed.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Proteus
Member # 794

- posted      Profile for Proteus   Email Proteus         Edit/Delete Post 
Hot Sleep? On my bookshelf.
Posts: 200 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.