FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Card the Rat?

Author Topic: Card the Rat?
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
I know who A Rat Named Dog is, and if you want to know than you will have to find out on your own. However, I wonder if OSC sometimes uses Rat/Dog's place. You know, that way he doesn't have a hundred of his fans swamping one thread just to have been able to respond to a simple comment.

The reason I say this is that occasionally it seems a question has been answered by Rat/Dog that feels a little closer to personal. Of course, it could be that the person in question just asked or simply knew. But, sometimes it is written in a way that conjours up OSC rather than the original Rat/Dog persona. Even if I am completely wrong, it would be nice to believe that OSC is still out there -- somewhere in the Hatrack land.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
Occasional,

I think the personal touch is always there. That's what keeps me (personal aside) coming back!

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Occasional, you're a little out of the loop. Most of us know who Rat Named Dog is, and he makes no effort to hide it.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

kwnsi,

can I ask you a question?

fallow

Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
kwnsi, don't be too quick to judge me "out of the loop." It is precisley for what you said that I don't mention who it happens to be. It is pretty obvious and I would only be seeming "out of the loop" by dropping names. I defer to the person in question to do that if they want.

I would do that to any member of this site. They have nick-names for a reason; even if it has nothing to do with hiding who they are.

Bringing me back to the original question, is OSC out there and we just don't know it?

[ April 29, 2004, 02:27 AM: Message edited by: Occasional ]

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

Occasional,

May I ask you a question?

fallow

Occasional
Member # 5860

You may ask. [Smile]
fallow
Member # 6268

What is the point of your question?

fallow

Slurpy
Member # 6505

- posted      Profile for Slurpy   Email Slurpy         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a thread somewhere around here (I can't remember which one) where Kristine posts under that name, then posts again to apologize, saying that Rat had been logged in on the computer.

It's entirely possible that this has happened to OSC as well.

Posts: 9 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
If he's done that, I haven't noticed [Smile] I know a lot about Card because I've heard him answer every imaginable question at least a dozen times. If anything, it's by rote that I'm giving his typical responses.
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Fallow, you can only ask me a question if you promise to stop asking people that and just ask the frelling questions!

edit: And if you start spelling people's names right.

Ni!

[ April 29, 2004, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: kwsni ]

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
How does Card make floral print shirts look so darn fashionable?

Bet he's never had THAT question before.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
Attributes that help make floral print [Hawaiian] shirts work on a guy:

1. A broad chest [a barrel chest is best]. Those of us who are tall and skinny-chested will never look good in such a shirt.

2. Man hair. Specifically chest hair and facial hair. Seriously. Men who have a full beard or goatee look better in Hawaiian shirts than those who are clean shaven.

3. The right sunglasses. Frames that aren't round and aren't metal are best. The classic RayBan Wayfarer is a good choice.

4. The right shoe. Manly sandals are best.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
What about the left shoe?
Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, whenever I call Geoff "Rat" he asks whether I know how to read.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
knightswhosayni!
Member # 4096

- posted      Profile for knightswhosayni!   Email knightswhosayni!         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, do you?

Ni!

Posts: 828 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
it would be nice to believe that OSC is still out there
umm....

[Dont Know]

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
The title of this thread is "Card the Rat". This is proper. It says that I AM a rat, not that my NAME is Rat. I only complain about the misnomer when people assume either that my name is Rat or that I am a dog, when clearly, the opposite is true.
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
Probably safest to use "goober" as your race, class and name.
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I guess it would be correct to call you rat, but not Rat.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

I suppose that calling me "rat" might be similar to calling me "dude", but I don't think that is how people usually mean it.
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] OMG, dude, I feel like such a brownnoser. In my defense, I looked forward to your opinion and agreed with you on pretty much everything long before today.

So you know what, Geoff, I disagree with you. Whatever you're thinking right now, it's wrong. Totally wrong. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So you know what, Geoff, I disagree with you. Whatever you're thinking right now, it's wrong. Totally wrong.
Tell him he looks bad in glasses.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

If the name fits, wear it well.

fallow

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.