FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » what is he writing now?

Author Topic: what is he writing now?
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
What is Card's next book...and does anyone know when it will come out?

I assume, it is the next Alvin Maker book (assuming there are not any other short stories in the works). Are there any plans for more books set in the Ender world?

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sobenz
Member # 6517

- posted      Profile for Sobenz   Email Sobenz         Edit/Delete Post 
There is Shadow of the Giant, the fourth book in the Ender's Shadow series.

S'all I know.

Posts: 20 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Rachel and Leah is supposed to be released in the next month or two, I believe. Aside from that, who knows. Some of us are still hoping for Slow Leak (though I think the working title for that has changed). The last Alvin book? Probably not, since there's a short story yet to be written, and it'd make sense to write it before finishing the series. He has said in the past that he wants to see what happens with the current middle-east situation before writing the next Shadow novel, since he'll probably incorporate it into the history of the region. Rasputin seems to be on indefinite hold. He's already written the Ender's Game screenplay, which has gone on to another professional screenwriter -- don't know exactly how much time of his that will take from this point on. I heard there was possibly going to be a novel version of the video game he did the screenwriting for -- Advent Rising I think. There's been talk of another short story collection, sometimes referred to as Maps II, though that's not the planned title as far as I know.

And to the other question, there's also another book planned which happens after Children of the Mind and reconnects the story lines of the Speaker and Shadow series. There was talk of an audio book short story about Mazer Rackham, but that may just have been talk.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I just preordered Rachel and Leah!! I'm glad to know that it's coming out soon. [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

http://www.hatrack.com/calendar/index.shtml

I don't know how accurate that is. What do we know about Slow Leak/Magic Street Pop? This is the first I've heard of it.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going from hazy memory of third- and fourth-hand info, so this may be meaningless. I believe it's a black family set in inner-city Los Angeles, and they come to realize that somehow magic is leaking into the world through their home or something. I think OSC said something about wanting Queen Latifah to play the lead if/when it gets made into a movie, and I remember the phrase "motorcycle mama" being uttered at some point. At one point OSC might have been e-consulting with Irami regarding cultural differences, so maybe he knows something, but that was long ago and I don't remember who said it.

How's that for useless info?

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... not nearly useless enough!
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yitz
Member # 6533

- posted      Profile for yitz   Email yitz         Edit/Delete Post 
If he's going to pick up at the end of Children of the Mind, I wish he would re-read what he has written until now.. I found that between Xenocide and Children of the Mind he had changed so many of the rules, contradicting the way the world had worked previously. This made for a very jarring reading experience. It would be a shame for him to continue such a trend. Happily, he did far less of this in the Alvin Maker series, though there are times where he has come close.
Posts: 6 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Would you like a paper bag for that poop?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T.J.
Member # 6267

- posted      Profile for T.J.   Email T.J.         Edit/Delete Post 
well yitz, at the end of Xenocide, if you can recall, they learned about the outside, and how to get there. so really because of that there weren't in actuallity anymore real rules, because they could go outside, which had no scientific laws, just random philotes waiting to be called inside.
Posts: 42 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yitz
Member # 6533

- posted      Profile for yitz   Email yitz         Edit/Delete Post 
T.J. that was part of the problem. If you read the end of Xenocide and the beginning of Children of The Mind, he changes the rules about how Jane might be saved and a couple of other major things.. (it's been a while, I don't remember them all)

and Mr Port, I'm not trying to be critical. My post may have sounded negative because I took it for granted that you would assume I was a fan. I really appreciate OSC's talent and skill, not to mention his accomplishments. I thought it would be okay if I shared a few of the little things that stood between me and my complete appreciation of Children of the Mind.. and I think it is fair for a fan of a (primarily) science-fiction author to find fault with inconsistent (meta)physics; am I wrong?

Posts: 6 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Update! according to Amazon.com, Magic Street will by out in June of next year. Yay!! [Big Grin]
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome, but take it with a grain of salt. Amazon is not always the most reliable source.

Any chance we could get confirmation? *hopeful*

[ December 01, 2004, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: Miro ]

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a reliable source -- our information is that "Shadow of the Giant" will be on sale in March and "Magic Street" in July.
Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Yippee !
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Wow. March? That's a WHOLE lot sooner than I was expecting! That is teh AWESOME! [Big Grin]

And TWO books in a year? Yowza. I'm sure it's happened often before, but within 6 months of each other? That almost seems like too much of a good thing. [Wink] I'm happy.

Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
My only question is... when is he gonna write an Alvin Maker spinoff about Papa Moose? [Smile]
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Here's a reliable source -- our information is that "Shadow of the Giant" will be on sale in March and "Magic Street" in July.
That works. [Big Grin]

quote:
My only question is... when is he gonna write an Alvin Maker spinoff about Papa Moose? [Smile]

The funny thing, I could actually see that happening.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JT
Member # 7086

- posted      Profile for JT           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And TWO books in a year? Yowza. I'm sure it's happened often before, but within 6 months of each other? That almost seems like too much of a good thing.
Actually, this has been done. This year in fact. Ted Dekker wrote and released an entire trilogy in about eight months. It wasn't small books either. Each book is a full novel consisting of about 400 pages each. Though books two and three were less than 400 while book one was slightly more.

[ December 03, 2004, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: JT ]

Posts: 4 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
JT,

They are refering to the fact that OSC rarely releases two books in one year. Other authors may do so on a regular basis, but he does not.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Craig Childs
Member # 5382

- posted      Profile for Craig Childs   Email Craig Childs         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, OSC often releases two books in one year:

2004: An Open Book (poetry), Rachel and Leah
2003: Crystal City, Robota (with Doug Chiang)
2002: Shadow Puppets, First Meetings
2001: Rebekah
2000: Shadow of the Hegemon, Sarah
1999: Magic Mirror (picture book), Ender's Shadow, Enchantment

This number goes up if you include anthologies that OSC is involved in assembling and publishing:

2001: Masterpieces: Best Sci-Fi of the Century
2002: Empire of Dreams and Miracles
2003: Hitting the Skids in Pixeltown

[ December 19, 2004, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: Craig Childs ]

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Szymon
Member # 7103

- posted      Profile for Szymon   Email Szymon         Edit/Delete Post 
I read a interview with OSC where he said he writes a book when he is in the red [Razz] Let's hope he spends a lot of money [Razz]
Posts: 723 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian_Berlin
Member # 6900

- posted      Profile for Brian_Berlin   Email Brian_Berlin         Edit/Delete Post 
Limericks on bathroom walls, I hear.
Posts: 116 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.