FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Did Bean get it easy?

Author Topic: Did Bean get it easy?
llodlean
Member # 2057

- posted      Profile for llodlean   Email llodlean         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone,

Something that's been running through my mind when recently re-reading some of the shadow series.In Ender's Game, Ender, Peter etc. went through extremely rigorous tests before they were let into Battleschool, the most prominent of these being a monitor. Ender had to then pass Graff's "test" with Stilson before he was considered.

Bean, however, whilst completing what could be assumed to be IQ and Personality tests, didn't have a monitor. Isn't it strange that Bean was let into the Battleschool without this?

Posts: 9 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallow
Member # 6268

- posted      Profile for fallow   Email fallow         Edit/Delete Post 
bean sneaked thru on a whiff of Gaff's gas?
Posts: 3061 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of reasons.

First, Ender was a third. True his brother and sister probably had the scores, but there were personality problems with both of them. Graff wanted to make sure that Ender did not have those problems.

Second, Ender was being condsidered for the leadership position, not just a sub-commander. Bean had the highest test scores ever so he was accepted with out the monitoring that was done to Ender. Most of the grownups did not consider Bean to be the ulitmate commander. Even Bean knew that Ender was a better commander.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
They were already grooming Ender to be the commander, and the had enough time to make sure about him. When Carlotta finally found Bean, there wasn't time for anything like that. They knew when the fleet would arrive, and knew that if they gave him the monitor and observed him for a while, he wouldn't be around to help with the battles at all.

Also, Bean didn't have a safe family life to monitor. They would have had to give him a monitor and then watch to see if he even survived on the streets of Rotterdam, let alone be of proper phychological make up.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julian Delphinki
Member # 6686

- posted      Profile for Julian Delphinki   Email Julian Delphinki         Edit/Delete Post 
No, Bean did not have it easy. I bet they thought that since he was able to survive on the street he must be capable of handling himself. I belive his test was setting up civilization in the child world of Rotterdamn. However, Some may argue that yes, he had it easier because he was not a third. One must also consider that Bean was incredibly small making him a target from the get go!
Posts: 20 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
SPOILERS

I thought that Graff admitting Achilles in the Battle School was the test he had to pass. Someone says after he goes out of that one : Ender, the most friendly and usually respectfull of the rules of the two, did it alone and killed his enemy, when Bean, the most lonely and the street boy, went out of that with a lot of friends and with respect to the authorities. (Or something like that, I read it in French [Smile] )

[ July 20, 2004, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: Anna ]

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helene
Member # 6710

- posted      Profile for helene   Email helene         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with you Anna... not only because I read it in french too [Razz]

Achille was not admitted there only because he had good results but also to be confronted to Bean and Bean to him. It definetely was a final test.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Are you French Helene ? What are you studying ?
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Bean wasn't a third. What was he, like a 22nd?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
humm. i'd say the streets of Rotterdam were enough of a test for anyone.
Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing there wasn't any logical way to work it into the Bean's story, so, since the moniter wasn't very important except as a symbol for Ender, OSC decided to drop it in favor of the overall story.

(Sorry, I know there are too many comms, I just don't know what to do about it [Blushing] )

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MacBeth
Member # 5670

- posted      Profile for MacBeth   Email MacBeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with the timetable scenario...and with near perfect scores...only not perfect because he did not "choose" for them to be and with his age I am sure they felt they could shape him. But saying he had it "easy" is like saying...uh like saying...damn brain fart its like saying something...of that I am pretty sure of.
Posts: 143 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

[ROFL]
EyesClosed
Member # 6796

- posted      Profile for EyesClosed   Email EyesClosed         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, this whole idea has bothered me a lot. How come Peter and Valentine couldn't get into Battle School when their abilities sounded far superior to those of many people who did make it to the school. I mean, sure, the book can go with the idea that their personalities weren't fit for the school but they seem more compatible than most of the people selected for the school :-\. But alas, the book was good as is so perhaps I should stop whining.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shepherdess
Member # 6115

- posted      Profile for Shepherdess   Email Shepherdess         Edit/Delete Post 
EyesClosed,
I agree with you that both Peter and Valentine would probably have done well in Battle School. Have you read First Meetings in the Enderverse? Because I just did, and I think the back story of Ender's parents answers your question. Graf and the other commanders weren't simply looking for someone in the Wiggin family to do well at Battle School, they were looking for the one person they could rely on to lead in the final battle with the Buggers.
Welcome to Hatrack!

Posts: 107 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think the monitors were necessarily standing testing procedures. I think one reason the Wiggins got them might have been to check on the parents; you know, make sure they aren't instilling religion or anti-Graff views or something in them. They also had Sister Carlotta to watch Bean to make sure that he wouldn't be too rash or violent, or too docile for that matter.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BeansAchilles
Member # 6813

- posted      Profile for BeansAchilles   Email BeansAchilles         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Midnight on the fact that Monitors weren't standard procedure. I also think that a lot depended on the Wiggin family not to destroy what they wanted most about Enders personailty. So the only reasonable explaination would be to monitor Ender at all times to make sure there was no questions about whether the International Fleet (IF) was in Enders mindsight as the good guys. And the only reason Bean didn't have a Monitor was because he was never tested because he was never even supposed to exist by law! If someone with Bean's Intellict had been found out early enough they would have allowed all the Wiggin's into the program but the main focus of battle school (and graff) would have been on Bean. My bottom line is this Bean would have been a better choice to have command the fleets if he would have legally been allowed to exist, and he would have had to have a monitor if they would have found out about him. But since none of this happened, Bean got the so-called Easy Way Out. Besides all of this was happening too close to the dead-line of the Great War for them to make any rational and calm decisions about whether to accept bean into battle school. [Party] How was that for my first post EVER!
Posts: 9 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Drake Coluber
Member # 6896

- posted      Profile for Drake Coluber   Email Drake Coluber         Edit/Delete Post 
They had a human monitor for Bean: Sister Carlotta. Perhaps not as good as the one Ender had, but for their purpose's, it probably sufficed. Remember Peter's references to reports on Bean sent by Carlotta?
Posts: 4 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Ender was born in order to see if he could get into battle school. Bean was just a child who got noticed because of his resourcefullness in his situation and recommended for battle school. He then passed the tests and they deemed him qualified...
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.