FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » What would u say to...

Author Topic: What would u say to...
Enderwillsaveusall
Member # 6227

- posted      Profile for Enderwillsaveusall   Email Enderwillsaveusall         Edit/Delete Post 
What would u say to OSC if you could have a 5 to 10 mintue conversation with him. Just one on one you and him?

I personally would thank him. I would thank him for opening my eyes to the great world of reading and fantasy. I never really read books except the Harry Potter series. His book Enders Game was like an Epiphany for me. I totally changed my outlook on life and on books. I have read as much osc as i could handle since then. So if i had 5 minutes with Mr.Card i would say thanks.

Posts: 81 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh heh. I'm the wrong person to answer this [Smile] Welcome to Hatrack, though!
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
For a long time, one of my fantasies has been to have dinner with OSC and his wife. But then one of my nightmares is to have dinner with them, but they find me extraordinarilly dull. [Frown]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
If you do get to have dinner with them, don't order anything with noodles. That way, you won't have to worry about the fact you don't know how to eat noodles without looking like a slob.
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
corvus
Member # 6734

- posted      Profile for corvus   Email corvus         Edit/Delete Post 
I would tell him how much I loved Ender's Game and most of the books in that series. I would also ask him why he has such a fascination with the word "fart". Is there a single book he has written that doesn't mention a fart?
Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if I could keep myself from gushing like an ass, I suppose I'd try to keep it simple and tell him that I really enjoy his work. I'd also ask him why he decided to alter the spellings of Native-based words in the Alvin Maker series, and why he chose to write 'likker' for 'liquor'. This seems to go against his usual position that writing 'with an accent', as it were, is obnoxious and insulting. So if I had the chance, I'd ask him about that.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Puppy would say "hey, Dad, can I borrow $50?"

[Big Grin]
FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Ho Farmgirl, I figured that too but was afraid to seem stupid if I said it and it was wrong [Smile]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
I would have absolutley no idea what to say. I might even drool a little bit in awe.

[ July 28, 2004, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: Little_Doctor ]

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is what I did say.

Link

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
*is lucky enough to have had multiple conversations with the man*
Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sephiroth the Enigma
Member # 6735

- posted      Profile for Sephiroth the Enigma   Email Sephiroth the Enigma         Edit/Delete Post 
mmm..I would be myself. That's probably the best thing a person can if they are meeting a new person. I might ask a few questions about some of his books, what might come in the future. About Advent Rising. (See my thread for more info.)And perhaps ask for his autograph. Advent Rising
Posts: 17 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cowboy Poet
Member # 6724

- posted      Profile for Cowboy Poet   Email Cowboy Poet         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you. That's about it. If we could strike up a conversation, that would be cool, and I like some advice on writing, as I am an aspiring writer. After working so hard and trying to network with other writers and having to put up with their leftist tirades, its nice to see views I share expressed from the point of view of a creative person, and author in the genre in which I write, no less.
Posts: 23 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
For a long time, one of my fantasies has been to have dinner with OSC and his wife. But then one of my nightmares is to have dinner with them, but they find me extraordinarilly dull.
Same here.
Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I have written more than one letter to OSC but failed to send it for fear that 1) he gets too much fan mail as it is and wouldn't read it and 2) even if he did read it, he'd think it (or me ) was stooopid.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry, mph. No matter how stupid your letter is, I promise you, Card has already received a much stupider one.
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! You promised you wouldn't tell anyone, Geoff....
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I would probably just go with the conversation. I can't think of anything in particular I'd like to ask him about, I just think he'd be an incredibly interesting person to talk to.

I'd probably also quiz him about what books he's read and authors he's liked. But I do that with everyone, so it's not particularly special.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
After telling how much I love his work, I would talk ice cream with him. I have noticed in "Uncle Orson Reviews Everything" that we share ice cream tastes. I would offer him a double chocolate truffle.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Turgan
Member # 6697

- posted      Profile for Turgan   Email Turgan         Edit/Delete Post 
ok... remember in "Speaker For The Dead" when it explained how Ender wrote a book called 'Speaker for the dead"?
I would ask him to write that book.
Unless he already has...
then I'd just ask if he wants to join me for a burger.

Posts: 529 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'd also ask him why he decided to alter the spellings of Native-based words in the Alvin Maker series, and why he chose to write 'likker' for 'liquor'. This seems to go against his usual position that writing 'with an accent', as it were, is obnoxious and insulting.
because names like 'Ta-Kumsaw' are really fun to say. duh.
Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have written more than one letter to OSC but failed to send it for fear that 1) he gets too much fan mail as it is and wouldn't read it and 2) even if he did read it, he'd think it (or me ) was stooopid.
I gushed an e-mail out a couple of years ago. He was gracious enough to reply and give me a thank you for reading and a heads up about the new book coming up.

I'm sure he does get tons of fan mail. I would hope so. What's wrong with that?

Send him one.

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
ok... remember in "Speaker For The Dead" when it explained how Ender wrote a book called 'Speaker for the dead"?
I would ask him to write that book.
Unless he already has...
then I'd just ask if he wants to join me for a burger.

As I recall it, Ender's book was called "The Hive Queen". OSC has not written such a book, and is not going to. Since in the story the book changed the whole world, he's pretty much decided it would be hubris to try to write it himself.

As for joining you for a burger, he's never commented on that anywhere that I know of, so I couldn't say what his position is on that. You'd have to ask him that yourself. [Wink]

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
i once emailed him and asked him a question about writing. if i remember correctly, he answered in about two minutes. [Eek!]
Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really want to meet him that much; as such, I have no prepared "attack" plan.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WishfulWiggin
Member # 6823

- posted      Profile for WishfulWiggin   Email WishfulWiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I would ask about his ideas on where the future of the human race is going? Where does he think our technology and government is taking us? What does he think the human race would do if we did encounter an alien race?

I also imagine OSC as being a lot like Ender, being able to read people with extroadinary skill. I would try and figure out if he does do that, and if so, how.

Besides that I would treat it as an everyday conversation with a very cool person.

Posts: 208 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pepek
Member # 3773

- posted      Profile for Pepek   Email Pepek         Edit/Delete Post 
Well.. seeing as i've had a few encounters with him/conversations.. Umm.. I'd probably say "remember that time I asked you to take a picture of you punching me? It came out blurry.. soo.. could we try it again?" and that would be about it.. i'm sure he would have something interesting to talk about though..

-Jack Montague

Posts: 690 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew
Member # 54

- posted      Profile for Matthew   Email Matthew         Edit/Delete Post 
The few times I've met him, I ended up rambling like an awestruck fan (which I was). But I've had the occasion to email him several times and he was great about emailing back.
Posts: 118 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Qrios
Member # 5259

- posted      Profile for Qrios   Email Qrios         Edit/Delete Post 
I would ask him the meaning of life and what he thinks is the best way to battle terrorism because I would bet he has better insight on the issue than Bush or Kerry. In fact, I would ask him to run for president. Please...
Posts: 39 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Qrios
Member # 5259

I would ask him the meaning of life and what he thinks is the best way to battle terrorism because I would bet he has better insight on the issue than Bush or Kerry. In fact, I would ask him to run for president. Please...
Posts: 39 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
If he were president, when would he find time to write?
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I would ask him what he thought he was doing wearing my hat, angrily demand to know when he'd stolen it, and insist that he give it back. I would do this regardless of whether or not he were actually wearing a hat.

[ September 02, 2004, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Qrios
Member # 5259

Well, you're right, I wouldn't want to lose his writing, but . . . maybe on vacations. instead of hanging out at the ranch or windsurfing.
Qrios
Member # 5259

Well, you're right, I wouldn't want to lose his writing, but . . . maybe on vacations. instead of hanging out at the ranch or windsurfing.
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd ask him why he insists on doing signings at BYU when I'm not there. [Frown]

Actually, it would probably come out as "mumblemumbleBYUmumblemumbleyouwritegoodmumblemumble"

[ September 06, 2004, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peruru Dragoon
Member # 2545

- posted      Profile for Peruru Dragoon   Email Peruru Dragoon         Edit/Delete Post 
First off I would thank him for the dozens of books he has written, and then I would attempt to discuss the Worthing universe with him.

I'm a huge Worthing fanatic.

Posts: 61 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say: How bout those Mets?
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd just try to kick up a normal conversation, I'd try to leave the books as a side note. I mean, c'mon he's more than just books isn't he?...Isn't he?
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
*pat pat*

I'd tell him that not only do I despise Spongebob Squarepants, but I think Homestar Runner is some pretty funny stuff. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.