FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Im doing a report for my junior reseach paper

Author Topic: Im doing a report for my junior reseach paper
Disturbedperson
Member # 6902

- posted      Profile for Disturbedperson   Email Disturbedperson         Edit/Delete Post 
I need some help finding information about Osc. All i have is information off this site, and NCwiseowl.com. [Wall Bash] I need some inteviews and some referance books that mention him as a source for the paper. Any information you provide is greatly appreciated.
And if perhaps Orson himself were to stop by and view this: MY Email is: Protossenslaver@yahoo.com

Thank you!
[The Wave]

Posts: 5 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
We are not in the habit of doing other people's homework for them.

I would like to point out that when you say
quote:
All i have is information off this site,
that is pretty all-encompassing.

If you check at the top -- there is a "research area" link that has just the sort of stuff you are looking for; there is a "news & reviews" link that takes you to many, many links of interviews with OSC and information about him and his work.

I'm not trying to be snarky -- I'm just pointing out that everything you are asking for is already here -- and you just need to buckle down and really read, read, read every single link from this Hatrack site, and you will probably find everything you need.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian_Berlin
Member # 6900

- posted      Profile for Brian_Berlin   Email Brian_Berlin         Edit/Delete Post 
>>We are not in the habit of doing other people's homework for them.

Oh, I don't know. If the price were right...

;-)

Posts: 116 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

[Wave] Hi Brian!

Hey -- I see you like photoshopping.

Be sure to check out This Thread on the other side of the forum to show us your talents!

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
You can also try http://www.philoticweb.net/.
I haven't been there much but maybe that site has additional help. Good luck! [Wave]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Disturbedperson
Member # 6902

- posted      Profile for Disturbedperson   Email Disturbedperson         Edit/Delete Post 
well im not trying to be a dick (sense the sacasm?) but i need REFERANCE BOOKS that have him in there. So you're right. You werent being snarky. You were being a dumbass. because i said "i need refeance books that mention him" and if this site has people like you in it then i dont know why i came here in the first place.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I was going to suggest that you should check the reference section of your library and OSC's biography, but after reading the rest of your post, I won't elaborate on that. That kind of attack on someone, especially someone trying to help you, is not appropriate, and you are old enough to know better, even if someone had tried to offend you (which I see no evidence of).

Oh, and it's spelled "reference".

[ September 29, 2004, 12:44 AM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
for the best help, post a request to vwiggin and ask specific questions - he always gives good answers . . . [Monkeys]
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Shan, doing research for people takes me away from my house husband duties! We wouldn't want that now would we? [No No]

Disturbedperson, you owe Farmgirl an apology.

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Disturbedperson
Member # 6902

Well no i really dont owe her s***. I specifically asked for reference books that mentioned him. If correcting my spelling makes you feel superior to me then by all means, go right ahead.

Now if anyone has anything DECENT to say, plz post. However if you dont stfu and stay off my forum.

Now that i feel better, Farmgirl: Im sorry.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I'm sorry, too, Disturbed. I was being too snarky, I guess, and it didn't come across the way I intended it. But I have thick skin, so your words didn't offend me.

Farmgirl
(since my daughter is a Junior, and I always make her find her own solutions, perhaps my viewpoint on this was a bit clouded)

[ September 29, 2004, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Disturbedperson, if you'll read my post, you'll realize that I answered your question. Please adjust your attitude, we're trying to help.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
Gee and I thought that this was OSC's forum and not some snappy newbie.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wave]

(as someone mentioned before, this smilie can also mean "bye-bye")

Here at Hatrack, we like people to be kind to each other.

Farmgirl was being nice, and was trying to help; someone not as well-meaning as Farmgirl would have probably just told you to do your own homework.

If you don't like it here, feel free to leave. We don't miss people who offend others. [Smile]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
and stay off my forum
[ROFL]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiro1000
Member # 6905

- posted      Profile for hiro1000   Email hiro1000         Edit/Delete Post 
why not just use the good ol' BAN????

oh by the way, Orson Scott Card kicks arse where arse needs to be kicked. Put that in your essay. [Big Grin]

Furthermore, what the heck do you mean by "Your Forum", last time i checked, this was Scott's forum???? [No No]

Edited by hiro for language, sorry [Wall Bash]

[ September 29, 2004, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: hiro1000 ]

Posts: 37 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad we try to keep our language civil in case minors are out and about on the site. [/irony]
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiro1000
Member # 6905

I do not know if that was geared towards me, but I changed it anyway, and I am sorry if I violated any forum rules. The guy that started this thread seems to be a lower bit of intelligence, so I tried to go down to his level of articulation.

[Cool]

Posts: 37 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

For such reasonable requests, Beren m'dear, I'll allow a little laxness on the issue of white glove dusting . . . [Razz]

But, you gotta promie me answers that'll make me laugh so hard I'll cry . . .

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
Dear disturbedperson,

Had you actually taken Farmgirl's advice and thoroughly read thru the research area you would have found listed at least one reference book (written by Edith Tyson)and possibly reference to another by Michael Collings. We have posted over 15 interviews from various sources. When we know the source of publication -- we have that referenced also. There are also several articles about OSC referenced. We really go out of our way to have as much research material as possible listed here.

People at Hatrack are respectful of each other, use civilized language and try to be as helpful as possible. You received a lot of kindness when you arrived and answered it with uncivil behavior. I hope you can clean up your act and be a productive citizen of Hatrack.

Kristine Card

Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
[Hail] [Hail] [Hail] [Hail]

And if Disturbed has to ask who KACard is, then he hasn't done his homework. [Big Grin]

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

[ROFL]
hiro1000
Member # 6905

Let me take a guess by the name, i really haven't read a biography, or autobiography on Card...Yet. Let me guess, either a daughter, Wife, or sister. I am presuming it is the Daughter.

Did I get it right?

if it is either, i have to say....

[Hail] [Hail] [Hail] [Hail] [Hail] [Hat]

[ September 30, 2004, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: hiro1000 ]

St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
'Tis the wife [Smile]

[Hail] kacard(our hostess)

Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiro1000
Member # 6905

ahhh i see....

[Eek!]

[Hail] [Hail] [Hail] [Hail] [Hail] [Hail] [Hail]

Disturbedperson
Member # 6902

Mrs. Card im honored that you yourself would visit me in my time of civil dishobediance. Im sorry one and all for offeding you. I (according to my honors english teacher) am not allowed to do my paper on Mr. Card, because there is not "substantial" literay information on him. Don't get me wrong, this site has plenty and so do a lot of other sites, but alas, those are still sites and i need referance books that mention him. I hav been downgraded to doing my paper on F. Scott Fitzgerald. I loathe this soap-opera would-be writer and would much rather be doing Osc. But I digress. Thank you again and im sorry one and all.
vwiggin
Member # 926

Now that was a great post. Welcome to Hatrack. [Wave]

Just out of curiosity, what type of reference books do you need? Are we talking about serious literary critiques or just any book or essay listing OSC as an important author?

Does your teacher doubt that OSC's material is serious enough for an English paper?

The American Library's Association listed Ender's Game as an outstanding book for the college bound. OSC's works are also used in college courses.

I'm not trying to attack your teacher; I just want to figure out why he wants to focus on secondary material when you can clearly write a great essay based on your personal analysis and other primary material such as OSC's own essays and OSC interviews.

[ October 01, 2004, 12:49 AM: Message edited by: vwiggin ]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Disturbedperson
Member # 6902

Well Okay, its like this:
She (my lit teacher) wants our class to write a 10 page paper with 15 (minimum) sources 10 of which have to be hardback, American Author, Encyclopedia kind of stuff. So yea. even going to my local libraryi only found 6. She said that that isnt enough and that i should pick a different author. And then told me to do Fitzgerald. Well, That pissed me off to no end and im still trying to wade through the raging river of literary crap that surrounds this author and his work. God i hate this class right now.

vwiggin
Member # 926

You have my sympathies. No wonder you're so angry. [Smile]

You are probably stuck with Fitzgerald now. But for future reference, there are a couple of librarians on Hatrack (Dangermom is a librarian I think). You can try posting questions like this on the other forum which tends to get more traffic. Now that you've explained your problem, I can see that you are clearly not asking us to do your homework for you. It is a legitimate research problem and I wish you good luck.

[ October 01, 2004, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: vwiggin ]

Defenestraitor
Member # 6907

- posted      Profile for Defenestraitor   Email Defenestraitor         Edit/Delete Post 
When your hand is forced, there's only one thing left to do: have fun with it! Would I be correct in assuming that your lit teacher loves and reveres F. Scott Fitzgerald as a literary genius? Wouldn't it be fun to bash him in your paper and support your arguments with a hundred footnotes and a bibliography that's 3 pages long? There's plenty of resource material to suport such an argument. He's been dead over 60 years. Americans have had enough time to find their *true* classic geniuses. We don't need mediocre hacks like Fitzgerald being taught in our schools anymore. As long as you support your arguments validly within the confines (books as source material) she's imposing on you, she will have no basis to give you a low grade, which believe me, she will be *dying* to do if you bash her favorite author. The best part is, if you write a good enough paper and she *does* decide to give you a low grade, you can take it up with the department head, the principal, the board of education if you have to! Trust me, this could be a really great opportunity for you to shine in your writing abilities.
Posts: 236 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

*grins at Defenestraitor's version of civil disobedience*
vwiggin
Member # 926

I think a cool paper would be a comparison between the Great Gatsby and the complete makeover reality shows on TV. [Smile]
Shan
Member # 4550

[Laugh] Beren!

That's my guy . . . !

vwiggin
Member # 926

*psst*

The preferred term is man servant. Or man candy. [Smile]

Shan
Member # 4550

[Blushing]

silly me . . .

[Kiss]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

This is a wonderful outlet for emotions like that. When I was in 10th grade, we had to "explicate" a poem. I wanted to do

so much depends
on a red wheelbarrow
glazed in rainwater
beside a white chicken

by William Carlos Williams (who was rather ridiculous, pretentious, and annoying himself, but I like the poem).

My teacher forbade it on the grounds of brevity. ("You won't be able to write a 3-page paper on a poem that short". [Roll Eyes] Try me!) So, I chose "Jabberwocky", which, as anyone who has read it knows, is wonderful, insane nonsense. I made up a meaning, since it doesn't really have one, and supported it so well that I got an "A". Her comments on the paper: "I don't agree with your conclusions, and I don't think even you believe this, but you did exactly what I asked." [Evil Laugh]

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Ketchupqueen, I'm curious--what do you like about that poem? I've never been fond of it, but I'd love to talk to someone who was, and find out their thoughts on it.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
So much depends
on a yellow goldfish
washed down with bowl water
inside the white kitten.

-- William Carlos Williams' cat

(from a book titled Cat Lover's Poetry or something like that.)

I like the original poem too. It's something about the sound-shape of it that appeals, not the meaning of the words.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.