FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » I designed this (shameless self-promotion)

Author Topic: I designed this (shameless self-promotion)
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
Those of you here who are still interested in Ender's Game might want to wander over here and look at this.

Here's a hint: It's a physical, working model of the Batle School.

--Steve

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enderwillsaveusall
Member # 6227

- posted      Profile for Enderwillsaveusall   Email Enderwillsaveusall         Edit/Delete Post 
wow thats sounds awsome and im eager to see the pics but...

Whats a stereo-lithography?

Posts: 81 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
It's (to me, at least) a general description of how you can take a 3D Computer model, and layer-by-layer make it into a physical model.

Some methods involve running a laser beam over a vat of liquid that solidifies when the laser light strikes it.

This model was made using plaster of paris and ink-jet technology:

1) place down a thin layer of plaster of paris powder.

2) Scan the layer with an X-Y plotter head stolen from an HP Deskjet (or similar). Squirt out the ink, and/or a resinous binder, wherever you want to have something solid.

3) Repeat 1 & 2 until complete.

4) Remove the object from the vat of plaster-of-paris powder, and shake off any excess powder. Voila!

--Steve

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Defenestraitor
Member # 6907

- posted      Profile for Defenestraitor   Email Defenestraitor         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome creation, Steve! Go MIT!

I did my BS thesis in course 3 on solid electron-beam freeform fabrication, same concept of building up from scratch using 3D modeling. Of course, your technology is much cooler!

Way to go!

Posts: 236 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

D,

Well, it's not my technology, per se.

But thanks.

A Bachelor of Science thesis!?! Neat! Solid Electron Beam Freeform Fab? You may have to explain that one...

--Steve

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, I can't even begin to tell you how jealous I am of your getting to play with a stereo-lithography printer thingy. I've been drooling over the thought of getting my hands on one of those ever since I first read about them. The battle school model you made sounds cool too, but it's the means by which you created it that has me salivating.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
How expensive was it to create that little model with stereo lithogrophy? My guessis that it was at least $150.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
stereo lithography rules. purdue has an undergrad class where you get to make models, and i've thought about auditing it just so i can have a dalek sitting on my desk. way too much work, though.

very cool, steve. (and this is NWS, so now I don't have to post on philotic to tell you how cool it is)

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Defenestraitor
Member # 6907

- posted      Profile for Defenestraitor   Email Defenestraitor         Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, EBSFF is basically a welding process that uses an electron beam to melt wire feed onto a metal substrate. Tie in CAD software and a movable table and you've got 3D printing of metal parts. US Navy requested the study, but my little BS thesis was on the rapid-cooling effect on microstructure of the weld pool. Stereolithography was more developed and already saw practical use at the time, but it was still interesting to forward a new technology.

[ October 07, 2004, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: Defenestraitor ]

Posts: 236 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

Def,

You wrote (co-wrote) that paper?!? My head is spinning. I'll have to read it later--it's just too deep right now for a leisurely lunch break.

MPH,

I don't know how much it would cost--it was free! It was part of a demo I attended. I am asking, though, as Darian wants to paint one up (he did the beautiful line-art work of the "armoured" Battle School for the Endercon presentation). I haven't heard back from the company that made it for me yet.

--Steve

Defenestraitor
Member # 6907

Hehe. I wish! Mine was a minor, hence, "BS" role in the project. [Smile] I always liked that pun. The real geniuses behind it were Professor Eagar (who was also my thesis advisor) and the grad student, John Matz, who now works for Pratt Whitney.

Celia, I'd totally audit that course!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.