FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Ender's Game Movie Concerns (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Ender's Game Movie Concerns
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Now, if the battleschool were veal, which I know it is not, if the battleschool were veal, how much would it be worth?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Fifty-four dollars.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

No, I don't think I'll sell.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

In commandschool? They only get one spoon.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
What happens if they lose it?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay in todays american dollars its probly worth soemwhere around 500 Billion$-1.5 trillion$ the International Space station is like what? 200 billion?
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

But it's not made out of veal.
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
What happens if they lose it?
They starve to death unless someone in their army graduates and wills them their spoon.
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Okay in todays american dollars its probly worth soemwhere around 500 Billion$-1.5 trillion$ the International Space station is like what? 200 billion?
::Gulp::

I wish. Okay, then instead, who do you think would win in a fight between a dog and a monkey?

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Is it a magic-weilding monkey?

Is it a lycanthropic dog?

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
They starve to death unless someone in their army graduates and wills them their spoon.
Yeah right. And I'll be there are spoon millionaries too.
Leprechaun86
Member # 7106

- posted      Profile for Leprechaun86   Email Leprechaun86         Edit/Delete Post 
This has to be the stupidest conversation I've ever seen. Of course the monkey would win. It would use it's monkey kung-fu.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Monkey Kombat!
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SPC Jonesey
Member # 7131

- posted      Profile for SPC Jonesey   Email SPC Jonesey         Edit/Delete Post 
Not to change the subject, but I have read the Ender's series like 100 times. Ender's game takes place in the 22nd century. I don't remember which book states this, but I know it to be fact. I don't understand this '2070' crap? Who came up with that change??
Posts: 1 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys,

I don't think you're relating to the "right" problem here.

The main problem, in my opinion, is: Most of the book is contrived of thoughts. What’s going on in Ender’s mind. Once you only try expressing what Ender thinks through action when he decides not to act, you ruin the foundations of the book.

The most important thing, in my opinion, is to have Ender’s voice speak his thoughts most of the movie. You’ll need a fabulous producer for that, a marvelous director, and, hmm… the best child actor in history.

I’d stick with animae.

-Beanny

Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Young Teacher
Member # 7104

- posted      Profile for Young Teacher   Email Young Teacher         Edit/Delete Post 
I can see why quite a few people want it in anime, but I really don't think that it will be formed as such. If the movie is made with live actors then I would agree with Beanny, quote, "the best child actor in history.". It really depends on the child and someone who can direct the child. The future Ender would have to cry, show intense anger, and live like a soldier. The actor will need a really good personal trainer. I can't see O.S.C creating "Ender's Game" as an anime film.
Posts: 7 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Young Teacher
Member # 7104

- posted      Profile for Young Teacher   Email Young Teacher         Edit/Delete Post 
It would give the movie strength if Ender cries with natural unforced tears.
Posts: 7 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
See my "Enders Game Medium" thread for my thoughts. [Smile]
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, how about an Ender's Game playstation game?

If the creators are good, well...

Manoeuvering in null-G won't have its ups and downs.

-Beanny

Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jqueasy
Member # 7085

- posted      Profile for Jqueasy   Email Jqueasy         Edit/Delete Post 
The main thing that i am worried about in this movie is casting, and not just for the initial part of ender and bean. I am worried about how they will show the age of ender and the children as they grow older i cant remember how old ender was when he got to battle school but i know bean was like 4 and ended up being around 12 by the time he left. The books check in on the kids at diffent time frames, how are they going to make the kids look older and taller as the film goes on, hopefully not with diffent actors. I dont know how you do this.
Posts: 52 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
I am worried about how they will show the age of ender and the children as they grow older
I don't think they will.
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It would give the movie strength if Ender cries with natural unforced tears.
Daniel Radcliffe is OUT!
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saint_11
Member # 7232

- posted      Profile for Saint_11   Email Saint_11         Edit/Delete Post 
man i cant wait till it comes out, and i want an Enders Shadow movie real bad, because i liked that series better [Laugh] [Evil Laugh] [Mad]
Posts: 12 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

The movie, as Card has envisioned it, will be a combination of Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow.
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

That makes sense. Two birds with oen stone. ES and EG are practically the same story just different perspectives, its really easy to go from 1 perspective to the next in movies.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

yup
Vid
Member # 7172

- posted      Profile for Vid   Email Vid         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
By the way, how about an Ender's Game playstation game?

If the creators are good, well...

Manoeuvering in null-G won't have its ups and downs.

HA! Very well said [Smile]

Considering the reviews the Spiderman 2 game got, I wouldn't be surprised if they could pull off a good Battleroom game. Then again, I'd be even less surprised if they made a very, very bad Battleroom game.

Posts: 162 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jqueasy
Member # 7085

- posted      Profile for Jqueasy   Email Jqueasy         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to a meeting where osc was speaking and said that the ender's movie was going to be condenced into 1 year so they didnt have to worry about casting differnt actors to play differnt ages.
Posts: 52 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's certainly the most practical way to do it.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bork
Member # 7283

- posted      Profile for Bork   Email Bork         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, reading this forum I keep reading something that bugs me. Everyone says to find a child actor who can express murderous hate like Ender. Ender was not hate filled, he did exactly what he needed to get by and nothing more.

He made sure when he did something he finished, and then he always felt horrible for it afterwords, if he was full of murderous hate he wouldn't have nightmares about things he has done.

I doubt if anyone could be put through what Ender was put through and still be as decent as he was.

Posts: 17 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Young Teacher
Member # 7104

quote:

Very true. Ender did not hate anyone. He dealt with his problems swiftly and completely. Later he was manipulated by the teachers to inavertingly destroy the buggers. Ender was a little bit of both Valentine and Peter. That is what the teachers were looking for. Hate and anger are two different obects. Though sometimes entwined, they are not the same. Ender was sometimes angry for a just cause but he never hated anyone. Bonzo hated even if he wasn't angry.

[ January 24, 2005, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: Young Teacher ]

Feral
Member # 7401

- posted      Profile for Feral   Email Feral         Edit/Delete Post 
Very true...Ender did not hate. It was his undying capacity to love that allowed him to destroy so efficiently. Very Zen, only by becoming your enemy can you know him enough to destroy him utterly.

However, the concern wasn't that we would be able to find a child actor to show hate in the role of Ender, but rather in the other members of the battleschool. Bonzo being a good example, Bernard as well.

Remember that the culture of the battle school was one based on competetion and honor based upon the standings. And they would do anything, even murder, to get what they wanted. Interesting that Bonzo made it to battleschool and Peter did not.

Feral

Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
I disagree, murder was not acceptable at the battle school and very few of the kids would have attempted it. Bonzo was an acception and the Ender/Bonzo fight was only allowed to happen because Ender was a special case and they could never let Ender think that adults would step in and help him. One of the first things is that they said Murder and violence was not allowed and that anyone who tried anything would get iced. I think it was Dap that said this but it could have been Graff.
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

Oh and also I'd welcome you to hatrack but I thinks thats Pops job. Whispering-Welcome to hatrack, don't tell Pops.- [Big Grin]
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

Bonzo got to BS partly becuase of the charisma that made him a commander. Also remember he has some talent but obviously not enough to be good at commanding. Remember Peter war OBVIOUSLY violent and aggressive as a child Bonzo most likely wasn't.
Silvercrystal77
Member # 7425

- posted      Profile for Silvercrystal77   Email Silvercrystal77         Edit/Delete Post 
One thing that heard that I think would totally ruin the movie is that they are going to make Graff a woman for this movie. Somebody said it was confirmed, but I don't think so. Someone suggested Dame Judy Dench for the part. [No No] She's too Professor McGonagall-ish for me. Personally, I like one idea that was suggested. Sean Bean. I can see that happening. Maybe.
Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Why would that totally ruin the movie for you? What difference would it actually make?

But if it helps, I'm pretty sure they're only making ANDERSON a woman. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NinjaBirdman
Member # 7114

- posted      Profile for NinjaBirdman   Email NinjaBirdman         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Judy Dench could probably be a good Carlotta, but I think Graff would need to be a guy unless his personality was changed big time. But if Graff was to be a female, Judy Dench would probably be the best choice.
Posts: 204 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

Anderson should be Johnathon Frakes and Graff should be Patrick Stewart.
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
Do not be surprised if most of the adult characters are significantly changed. IIRC, Card has said that characters like Graff were really only there to move the story along and allow the reader to see more than Ender was seeing. They were more device than character.
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edin
Member # 7437

- posted      Profile for Edin   Email Edin         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, at one of the websites I was looking at, they said that they tried to get Haley Joel Osmend to do it, but something came up.

However, what I want to know is when it's supposed to start filming! Unfortunately, my parents and I have read the books, but my mom and I are the only two putting effort into finding a filming date! I just want to see a teaser soon...T_T *sniff*

Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I know, they haven't set a date for filming, or even cast a single character yet. To be honest, if the movie gets made in the next 5 years I will be pleasantly surprised.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Remember how long it took for Phantom of the Opera to be made into a movie? Wasn't it like... nine... ten years since they announced it?

Anywho, Sid Meier, that would be awesome... to have Patrick Stewart and Jonathan Franks there...

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edin
Member # 7437

- posted      Profile for Edin   Email Edin         Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, I bet you're right... [Cry]
Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
There have been been about a dozen "Phantom of the Opera" movies made over the years.
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

Still one example is the new star wars movies that are still coming out now in 2005 were first talked about being made right after the first ones came out!
SpadeRyder
Member # 7448

- posted      Profile for SpadeRyder           Edit/Delete Post 
What I'm worried about is that Ender's Game will be turned into another Spy Kids type movie, just a bunch of kids being heroes, rather than delving deeper into the story.

Ender is aggressive, but it isn't without good cause. I hope Warner Bros doesn't tone that part down. They need to show Ender killing Stilson. It needs to be violant, and maybe the anti-violence in movies groups will go crazy that a kids' movie is showing a six year old killing a bully, but that needs to be shocking. But it needs to be presented in the right context.

I hope that's done though good casting and making sure that Ender's a sympathic character from the start. I think it would be best if they had two actors playing Ender - a young six year old Ender as he's going to Battle School (played by an actual six year old, not the usual Hollywood 12 year old playing six) and then they can cast a 9 or 10 year old to play Ender for most of the movie.

If Ender is this little kid getting tormented by Peter, picked on by bullies, then he's sympathic.
Then the audience is rooting for him.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 7461

- posted      Profile for Sammi   Email Sammi         Edit/Delete Post 
It all depends on finding the right actors. Unfortunately, there has been a shortage of true child actors since the age of the "Spielberg kids" such as Elijah Wood, Joseph Mazello, and Henry Thomas in the eighties and early nineties. OSC has already said that he has fudged the ages and combined Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow to make the story into a form that will tanslate to screen. It will now be up to the casting directors to can find 10 to 16 year olds with the same heart that an Elijah, Henry, or Joseph could have portrayed...I know they are out there.
Posts: 12 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThumperXC
Member # 7455

- posted      Profile for ThumperXC   Email ThumperXC         Edit/Delete Post 
My man concern is one that has been stated areadly. I think that with movies you lose the ability to convey the characters thoughts. If the thoughs are not conveyed well the idea of a 6 year old will not fly with most people, espsecailly with the violence and all. I kno OSC has gone strongly against it and I too belive that the characters age is true to their abilities in the stories, For the story to be under stood the characters age i thinks needs to be bump up, only alittle, maybe they are 9 or 10 when they get to battle school. I don't know I'm just I'm not aroung 6 years olds much but I'm afraid of it becoming like the poster before me said " a spykids movie". I have faith in OSC that he can figure it out. I also agree with casting unkowns.

-thump

Posts: 7 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UTAH
Member # 5032

- posted      Profile for UTAH   Email UTAH         Edit/Delete Post 
All I can say is thank goodness Haley Joe will be too old by the time the movie comes out. How could ANYONE have even considered him? [Eek!]
Posts: 277 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.