FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Alvin and FTL travel

Author Topic: Alvin and FTL travel
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
I think that the Greensong running could be viewed as a variation of Jane's FTL travel. Consider, if the Greensong is viewed as "Information" awareness of the local area that is stored in the common awareness of native flora and fauna and the Doodlebug is viewed as a Philotic knot, then that knot can go out, link with the local web of info and allow one with awareness of the self to move Faster Then Light a short distance. Maybe just a few millimeters.

Then it just becomes a series of FTL jumps operating as the illusion of running.

I think Alvin should be able to sieze upon a location with his bug, scan himself, and then move there. At the least he should be able to move objects.

It seems obvious, if you postulate that both series are sharing a common set of postulates as far as physical laws.

Just a notion

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian_Berlin
Member # 6900

- posted      Profile for Brian_Berlin   Email Brian_Berlin         Edit/Delete Post 
YES!

I swear, I'd love for OSC to write the "Grand Unifying Theory of Card" - wherein all things from all books are tied together.

See my reply in "Could Alvin Win A War"

Wouldn't it be cool if Alvin's crystal became the do-dad Nafai went through to don the cloak of the starmaster?

And I'd love for Alvin to have created intelligence in the buggers. perhaps he manipulated an insect genetically... to be the perfect making creation... but then for some reason thought better of it and sent them (somehow) out across the universe to another planet.

[ October 22, 2004, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: Brian_Berlin ]

Posts: 116 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
That is an interesting idea, BC. It is like the consciousness sought through meditation.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

I think that OSC is within striking distance of the the way things really are with his theory of what goes on behind the scene. The only thing he seems to leave out is the guided nature of things. That is that the greater the power of an idividual the more the currents of power guide them and move them about.

That being my premise then it is to be expected that all spiritualism should have its reflection in OSC's work.

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
The Greensong does not provide instantaneous transportation, the way that Jane's FTL solution does. When Tecumseh and Alvin traveled to all the different tribes, it still took them time to do the travelling.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

But if the time is the split second it takes to get oriented, then each small leap could be FTL! Like a series of stills that becomes a movie!

BC

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the Greensong just allowed them to travel without tiring, etc., but not that it was timeless travel.....

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Guys, any time an author's done a Grand Unifying Superego stunt, it's turned out badly. Don't give him any ideas -- not that I think he'd do it, anyway.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh you mean like Stephen King did with Dark Tower? <ugh> [Wall Bash]
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
Although I like the way the series could be compatable with one another, I'd have to say I think they work better as seperate worlds.
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
YES!

I swear, I'd love for OSC to write the "Grand Unifying Theory of Card" - wherein all things from all books are tied together.

NO!

It would probably be as lame as when Asimov did the same thing.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Art Vandelay
Member # 8690

- posted      Profile for Art Vandelay   Email Art Vandelay         Edit/Delete Post 
What he said ^^^^
Posts: 31 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

Actually internal cosistency has always helped me stay involved in a story, aided the suspension of disbelief.

BC

Art Vandelay
Member # 8690

- posted      Profile for Art Vandelay   Email Art Vandelay         Edit/Delete Post 
That's the case when it's within a single story. What you're proposing unites several unrelated stories, while adding nothing of value.
Posts: 31 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey I like the Dark Tower! [Grumble]

And to me the greensong was about being one with nature and being in balance. Very diffent than philotic jumping.

Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joshua Newberry
Member # 7864

- posted      Profile for Joshua Newberry   Email Joshua Newberry         Edit/Delete Post 
Instead of Asimov's treatement, think on Heinlein...Uniting his science fiction and fantasy late in his carreer...Would you REALLY want that?
Posts: 57 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
What did he unite? I haven't read much of his later stuff.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
The greensong and Jane's tricks aren't really connected at all in my mind. The Inside/outside thing was all physics and stuff, while the greensong is something much different, it has to do with your connection to the living forest.

However there is one thing that is VERY similar to Alvin Maker in Xenocide: when Ender goes Outside, whatever he dreams up becomes reality (like Peter and Val). This is exactly what Alvin does--the atoms rearrange themselves according to what Alvin thinks in his head.

Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

The Number of the Beast unites all fantasy within an overstructure of a Sciece Fiction Multiverse. It was not merely his work but everything. It was a good slice at it, but I think he was trying to write himself into his own stories, a very interesting attempt to become immortal.

BC

Joshua Newberry
Member # 7864

- posted      Profile for Joshua Newberry   Email Joshua Newberry         Edit/Delete Post 
What BC said. Instead of trying to figure out some way of uniting storylines and keeping a coherent, interesting story in between, Heinlein introduced the Multiverse concept.
Posts: 57 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.