FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Next book in Ender series?

Author Topic: Next book in Ender series?
ChocoTuar
Member # 6854

- posted      Profile for ChocoTuar   Email ChocoTuar         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there going to be one or does Shadow of the Giant combine the two series? Children of the Mind was way too open to be left open like that.
Posts: 29 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Shadow of the Giant will not combine the two series -- it will just be a continuation of the Shadow series.

There are rumors (false rumours, I hope), that there will be one more book that links together the two series.

Actually, they are already linked together in the beginning, by Ender's Game/Ender's Shadow. But according to the rumors, this book will involve Bean's descendants and the Descaladores.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChocoTuar
Member # 6854

- posted      Profile for ChocoTuar   Email ChocoTuar         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, thanks.
Posts: 29 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
YES! Like c'mon! You have a family where at least one of the children in every generation is a nobel prize winner by age 10 they should pop up somewhere geez. What I sometimes do when I'm reading/finishing a book is imagine the story and/or universe of that book and try to look at it in different ways and one thing I kept coming back to was Bean and/or Beans descendants. Hmm... I wonder if theres a way to recreate Bean Outside. Maybe as a teenager as he should have been but with Anton's key still turned but doesn't kill him.

[ November 05, 2004, 07:36 AM: Message edited by: Sid Meier ]

Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I really don't know what you are trying to say.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

hmm... well I can't explain it any simpler. The simplest I can think of is to daydream a fanfic.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heff_neil
Member # 7010

- posted      Profile for heff_neil   Email heff_neil         Edit/Delete Post 
I just started reading Ender's Game. I like it a lot so far. My question is: is there a speicfic way we should read the series? Does it make sense to read the original 4 and then the other 3 or read them in chronological order?

Thanks!

Neil

Posts: 9 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I suggest you read them in the order written first.
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There are rumors (false rumours, I hope), that there will be one more book that links together the two series.

More than rumors I'm afraid: http://www.hatrack.com/ubb/forum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=002279

quote:
I was planning something for her in that book, but realized that it was not needed in order to achieve closure and would have been a distraction. The things she was needed for simply didn't happen yet when CotM ended. Maybe I can bring it to fruition in the book that binds together shadow books and speaker books. in any event, i appreciate the reminder of yet another of the threads left dangling at the end of cotm.

[ November 06, 2004, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: St. Yogi ]

Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Oh yeah. I forgot about that.

Let me remove my foot from my mouth.

Achilles_de_Flandres
Member # 6672

- posted      Profile for Achilles_de_Flandres   Email Achilles_de_Flandres         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Card said in an interview for Advent Rising (Xbox game) that he may go back to do a Mazer Rackham book. [Eek!] [Monkeys] [Blushing] [The Wave] [Party] sorry about the random avatars, sometimes I just get a craving.
Posts: 19 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

Wow, that would be great! Mazer Rackham is like Ender's parents you hear alot about them but just not enough. I really want to read that book.
trance
Member # 6623

- posted      Profile for trance   Email trance         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that would be interesting. But what I think would be more interesting and probably a significant challenge would be to write the Bugger Wars and Ender's Game from the Hive Mind's point of view with the Queen obviously as the main character. THAT would be interesting!
Posts: 112 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mugg Mellish
Member # 7165

- posted      Profile for Mugg Mellish   Email Mugg Mellish         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a really brilliant suggestion, but I wonder if OSC is up to it...he only had to sustain hivemind dialog for a few grafs at a time. I really think his imagination went into overdrive in the last ender books, much the same kind of incandescent fury that made Philip K. Dick write the Divine Invasion trilogy at the end of his life. OSC clearly has something in mind for the virus they discover, or thought he did. Jane is one of his best characters, and could carry a book; she would be easier to read and write than the hive queen (or the virus.)

On another COTM note, I think we would all agree that the way Ender died was unworthy of him as a character. Bored to death, literally, by his mean wife. It might have been a mistake to marry him at all. I think that OSC's fervid devotion to the institution of marriage got in the way of his narrative instincts. (I think Anton's speech in Puppets is distractingly didactic this way as well. Does it really move the book forward to know that he is gay and still feels the need to be married?) OSC's belief system is one of the best things in his fiction, and generates the dialectic energy from which comes so many memorable hyper-intelligent characters, so few of whom ever fail to defend a position intellectually. Ender's strategy of seeing the enemy's position extends to OSC's intellectual rigor and honesty. When there is a one-sided homily in the midst of an Ender book, I find it jarring.

If Ender had to marry it should have been to Jane. The kid that saved the world and became the most influential human after Jesus Christ deserved a better end that to be subject to the caprices of a middle-aged woman he had only known a short time.

Josh

Posts: 1 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nania
Member # 7144

- posted      Profile for Nania   Email Nania         Edit/Delete Post 
Well... in the end, Jane became Ender. Too much of a headache to go into all the stuff you were writing about, but I find it very interesting!
Posts: 11 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dinzy
Member # 6858

- posted      Profile for dinzy   Email dinzy         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't really see that as an end to Ender. He wasted so much of his life saving Earth, then the Buggers, and Pequininos and Lusitania. His "spirit" just chose to be the young man and actually have a chance at a life that was more fulfilling. I am psyched for SotG but I don't care if there is a crossover book just as long as there is more to the story after CotM.
Posts: 17 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suri-cool
Member # 7599

- posted      Profile for Suri-cool   Email Suri-cool         Edit/Delete Post 
What would be in the book about Mazer his battle? His life after battle? His parrelel novel of Ender's game what would it be?
Posts: 86 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.