FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Understand

Author Topic: Understand
Talasonic
Member # 7008

- posted      Profile for Talasonic           Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the meaning of life, the universe, explaining evrything.

Reality is random. Life's job is to combat randomness. It does this by realizing that randomness implies that nothing will happen 3 times in a row. When life does the same thing 3 times in a row, it dies. When life does the same thing 2 times in a row, it slowly degenerates. And when life never repeats itself, it has achieved perfection, and therefore all its dreams come true.

The only way for life to be perfect, that is, never repeating itself, is for all life to work together, recursively. The recursive algorithm is simply, Learning is fun. (Of course there are other ways of putting that, though, such as Expect the Unexpected.)

Do you understand?

Posts: 10 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talasonic
Member # 7008

Doesn't anyone want to bother thinking?
Posts: 10 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
So that's what they call it these days.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talasonic
Member # 7008

Hehe. Well, all I know is that, everything will come for you perfectly if we all work together. The individual is not the answer, and neither is society. True happiness only comes when you don't worry about anything, and count on others to catch you when you fall.
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, but do you believe in the 4-sided day? That's TRUE reality.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
huh. I thoguht it was 42.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
True happiness only comes when you don't worry about anything, and count on others to catch you when you fall.
If happiness=laziness, I'm afraid I'll never reach true bliss.

And when you fall, what happens to the people who were counting on you to catch them? Seems like a domino-effect full of people on their asses. I think I'll stand up on my own. [Smile]

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Live by the foma* that make you brave and kind and healthy and happy
dude [Cool] Bokonon

*foma = lies, harmless untruths

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
I say that happiness = family; and if you live a good long life barring deisseis (can't spell the word never had one). And of course if you don't try to oppress anyone from having their own happiness. This is only on an individual scale though.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

you mean dessous?

[Embarrassed]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmryllisLorelei
Member # 6974

- posted      Profile for AmryllisLorelei   Email AmryllisLorelei         Edit/Delete Post 
diseases?
Posts: 17 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

quote:
diseases?
CORRECT! [Party]
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

[Roll Eyes]
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

[Hat]
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
you guys. listen. the answer is 42. discussion closed.
Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Proteus
Member # 794

- posted      Profile for Proteus   Email Proteus         Edit/Delete Post 
This is getting all too much like justification for the orgy-porgy, the feelies and the centrifugal bumblepuppy!

Bring on the Soma!

Posts: 200 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn! This thread was ripe for the Timecube reference, and Bok beat me to it!
Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When life does the same thing 2 times in a row, it slowly degenerates.
Maybe if you give another Timecube reference...it will degenerate? [Dont Know]
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
Thank god my cells never replicate the same way twice! I would just degenerate. What a hoser.

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArCHeR
Member # 6616

- posted      Profile for ArCHeR   Email ArCHeR         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

So if I have sex twice, it will degenerate? Hardly.

Posts: 238 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trance
Member # 6623

- posted      Profile for trance   Email trance         Edit/Delete Post 
Ya know, I agree with Archer. There are alot of things in life that are repeated and do not degenerate. Infact, history tends to repeat itself continuously. Everything seems to go in a circle and repeat itself. I guess that is what the chinese ment by balance in the Yin and Yang. I do believe that by something being unique and only being done once without the need to be repeated must be perfect but perfection can also be identified many other ways as well. And I stand be my theory that nothing is perfect. The only perfect thing we can see or touch we killed. Now what does that say about us and perfection?!
Posts: 112 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArCHeR
Member # 6616

- posted      Profile for ArCHeR   Email ArCHeR         Edit/Delete Post 
Perfection HAS to be repetitive. There's only one perfection. A perfect life would be nothing but endless bliss and pleasure, which is what I picture as heaven.
Posts: 238 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Dangit, beaten to the TimeCube reference by at least two of you!!

[Wall Bash]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trance
Member # 6623

- posted      Profile for trance   Email trance         Edit/Delete Post 
LMAO [ROFL]
Posts: 112 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.