FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Help OSC with Shadow of the Giant (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Help OSC with Shadow of the Giant
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
NEW PAGE!!!!

Oops. Wrong thread. Sorry.

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArCHeR
Member # 6616

- posted      Profile for ArCHeR   Email ArCHeR         Edit/Delete Post 
He still has the soft spot because his brain is still growing. If it fused, his brain would grow too large for his skull.
Posts: 238 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter
Member # 4373

- posted      Profile for Peter   Email Peter         Edit/Delete Post 
ChaosTheory,

When the time is called for people to marry young, then that happens. Bean and petra got married so that they could (hopefully) have a family before Bean died. Nafai and Luet & Issib and Hushidh got married early in their lives because they wanted to make it official that they blonged to each other. This was also a way to signify that their marriage was permanant.

Think back in the 1700's, poeple got married and had kids and the age of 14 because it was a neccesity, people died earlier. If you wanted to raise a family back then you had to start early.

sry, didn't mean to preach.

Posts: 283 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
His brain is still growing with the rest of his body as if he hadn't hit a 12-year growth spurt yet. What are we arguing about?
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
I was about to post something 2 minutes ago, and forgot. Now I remember; "The contadiction" of Bean saying he's seven just 2-3 days after the bugger wars and then meeting his parents at age 11 is not a contradiction. Remember it was never certain whether or not Bean would be returned to his parents. He is a ward of the state and the state has the final say so it is entirely onceivable for bean to have stuck around for 4 years (including transportation time and possible time spent on earth before returning to his parents). I also agree that Bean probably thanks to Anton's key still looks Boyish dispite his height.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm bumping this so I can go through it and match up people here with the credit given in the acknowledgments in the book.....

[Smile]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
I've already done that (too much time on my hands). I think I've figured out all but one or two. I was going to start a thread asking who's who, but I thought it would seem like shameless self-promotion since I'm in there too. [Blushing]
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Farmgirl, when you figure it all out, let me know. I think I've got most of them...Carrie, Megan, Shan, Porter, Neo-dragon, Narnia...but then I'm not sure about |demosthenes|, PSI, Stray....and everyone else that helped.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Sent you an e-mail, Narnia. I think I got them all figured out now...
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha, yeah, right, bet you can't guess who I am...

I haven't actually gotten to see my copy yet, as I had it shipped home-home (instead of school-home). I'm going to the bookstore very soon, however, just to ogle.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

There's only one name which I haven't been able to link to a screen-name. Anyone know who Samuel is?

I haven't gotten my copy yet either. Mail's so slow coming from the States. It's okay though, I'm too busy to spend much time reading it right now anyway.

[ March 08, 2005, 04:56 PM: Message edited by: neo-dragon ]

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I guessed that IdemosthenesI was Samuel -- but that is just a guess and I could be wrong.

btw, neo-dragon, you're not the first poster to this board to have that last name.... [Big Grin]

FG

neo-dragon
Member # 7168

I'm pretty sure that IdemosthenesI is Nathan. He's a moderator at philoticweb.net. He was also credited in Shadow Puppets (though it doesn't say his screen-name there either) for making the timeline comparing Game and Shadow. That is, unless I'm getting him confused with someone else.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Uh - unless I'm very confused - Nathan is T_Smith, unless he has more than one screenname.

FG

neo-dragon
Member # 7168

I don't even see any posts by T_Smith in this thread. I'm almost positive that Nathan is IdemosthenesI... *shrug*
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
Nathan has dozens of screen names.
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

Well that explains that. I still don't know who Samuel is though. [Confused]

[ March 09, 2005, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: neo-dragon ]

Suri-cool
Member # 7599

- posted      Profile for Suri-cool   Email Suri-cool         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't mind you all saying that your who in the aknoledge ments. I'd like to know, to know who I should be in more awe of. Heh. You guys are awsomely lucky and good.
Posts: 86 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChaosTheory
Member # 7069

- posted      Profile for ChaosTheory   Email ChaosTheory         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey I'm Samuel Sevlie... [Big Grin] My 6th grade teacher (he got me caught on OSC's books a while ago) still can't believe that I'm in the acknowledments.
Posts: 163 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

Finally, the identity of Samuel! Now I can match all of the Hatrackers in the acknowledgments with their screen name. I'm Jason, by the way. My friends were all pretty impressed when I told them. Even the ones who haven't even read Ender's Game (despite my constant nagging). You would think that seeing their friend's name in the latest book would be enough to finally get them to read the series... As it is, only one of my close friends owns and has read every Ender/Bean book at my recommendation, but I've gotten several to at least read Ender's Game.
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm pretty sure that IdemosthenesI is Nathan. He's a moderator at philoticweb.net. He was also credited in Shadow Puppets (though it doesn't say his screen-name there either) for making the timeline comparing Game and Shadow. That is, unless I'm getting him confused with someone else.
This is correct.

Hehe. I'm aknowledged in the book too.

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.