FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » The Nets in Ender's Game?

Author Topic: The Nets in Ender's Game?
dafadox
Member # 6885

- posted      Profile for dafadox   Email dafadox         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe Ender's Game was written in 1985, or at least the full book. What I got from reading Ender's Game, about the "Nets", was that it is a lot like the internet. I didn't think the internet was around in 1985, but I really have no idea.

What is the story on this? Was the internet already around? Is my idea of what the "Nets" are completely wrong? Help!

Posts: 31 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
It was sort of around, but not as sophisticated and ubiquitous as it is now. Universities and government installations used it to share information and communications.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dafadox
Member # 6885

- posted      Profile for dafadox   Email dafadox         Edit/Delete Post 
So it is safe to say that this is where OSC got the idea?
Posts: 31 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
History of the Internet

In it's earliest form, Arpanet, the internet was first online in 1969. (And that is perhaps the clunkiest sentence I have ever written here!)

I would say so, dafadox.

I think he addresses this in the research area (EDIT TO ADD I cannot find a link to confirm this.), but it seems to be pretty clearly the case.

[ January 04, 2005, 01:23 AM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
I think his version of the internet is more advanced then ours. [Dont Know]
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.